The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caz1+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Re: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Post by Caz1+ »

I loved this book. It transported me and felt like I was living through Liesel feeling what she felt. I read it in 3 days and straight away wanted more. It was not my normal read and was suggested by a friend and I became hooked on the subject matter. So much so my next book was the diary of Anne Frank.
8thline

Post by 8thline »

I finished reading The Book Thief just a few days ago. My second time. I did a review of the book on my blog and I am so obsessed with it that all my friends know how in love I am with Markus Zusak. Many times, it makes me wonder how Markus does it. He makes all characters lovable that “even death has a heart.” Every one of the characters has left me a piece of their lives. And they felt so real I want to hug each of them. Tight.

For forever, I would want to keep it in my heart, to stay close with the words, and to keep on loving the souls that once lived on Himmel Street.
rinacolada
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinacolada.html

Post by rinacolada »

This is one of my favorite books of all time. Plenty of great commentary above. When I read this book a second time, I still found myself shocked at the ending, almost expecting (or at least wishing) it would turn out differently.

I recently saw the movie and am curious how others who loved (or hated) this book and saw the movie felt about it. In many ways, it brought the vision of Himmel Street I had in my head to life. In other ways, it was completely unfamiliar because the geography was so different from what I imagined. For example, the kitchen was a mirror image of what I saw in my head, which was a little disorienting. Also, the necessary cutting of the story to fit the length made it frustrating because I wanted to see more pieces played out.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I think this is an amazing book. I first read it for my Childrens Lit class in College. then I went and re-read it a few years later. Beautifully written, and I actually really love Death as the narrator. I have yet to see the movie, but it's on my to see list.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

I loved this book and found the story line startling in parts but also warm and comforting in others, particularly the relationship between the child and the parents and their guest.
I am dubious about seeing the movie as often relationships between central characters in the novel that are central to the novel can take a back seat to what the producers believe will sell more tickets at the box office.
8thline

Post by 8thline »

ellenr wrote:I loved this book and found the story line startling in parts but also warm and comforting in others, particularly the relationship between the child and the parents and their guest.
I am dubious about seeing the movie as often relationships between central characters in the novel that are central to the novel can take a back seat to what the producers believe will sell more tickets at the box office.
The movie is interesting, you should watch and give it a chance. :) It's different because for me, the producers did not impose much of their favoritism. I mean it this way: in the book, my favorite characters are Rudy and Hans. In the movie, they are still my favorite. As expected there are cuts. But still, the book and the movie sort of had marriage. :)
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I read this book a few days back. Was completed hooked to it. Though I was a bit skeptic about it at first, but a narration by death itself was something that made me want to read it.
It is a book which will move you to the core and will stay with you. I have yet to see the movie, maybe in a few days.
LisaT

Post by LisaT »

I have not quite finished the book but am absolutely loving it.

The movie was phenomenal - so moving and I thought beautifully done.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I loved this book when I read it--my sister had to read it for school and I picked it up and couldn't put it down. A very unique narrative voice; and heartwarming story...but not sure if I should see the film!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Post by srkilgour »

I absolutely love this book! I read it a few years ago for one of my education classes in college and lived it so much I told everyone about it. I just finished rereading it after wanting to since the movie came out. I think this is one of my top 10 books it's so well done. I can't wait to see what they did with the movie!
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I have heard about this book so much and i would like to read it
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
nouveau-nerd

Post by nouveau-nerd »

I loved this book! It was beautiful, and yes it lingers. It's hard to get over a read like this.
junogirl
Favorite Author: maeve binchy
Favorite Book: pride and predjudice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junogirl.html
fav_author_id: 6080

Post by junogirl »

i have never read this book but i am interested from your review. some of the quotes make me want to read it, others....well, not so much...i'm not a fan of excessive and pointless description. i will read it and give my own opinion. thanks for your view on this book and for bringing it forward. i believe every book is deserving of its' own special attention.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I found this novel to be an extremely unique look at the experiences of World War II. What better narrator than Death? Whats more moving than a childs view on tragedy? I enjoyed this novel. I was intrigued by the story and invested in the story. I will not see the movie simply because I really enjoyed the narrative style and wasnt positive it would translate well on screen.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I'd read that this book won the Printz Award, which is put out by the American Library Association. So on some level it's proven to be of some merit. I have a backlog of books on which to catch up, including on other Teen novel and a book I need to read for the Review team, but I do hope to read this book too. Hopefully the fact that fantasy isn't my favorite genre won't hamper things.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”