The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Re: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Post by ananya92 »

I had read this book some time back, and it was a immensely absorbing book. Using Death as the narrator seemed as apt for the story as it was unusual. Zusak has made effective use of literary devices to convey the horrors of Nazi Germany but the best part about the book is how the story of Liesel is told in the backdrop of Nazi Germany. Great book!
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

For some reason I have completely missed this book! After reading the reviews here i will have to add it to my list of books to read. My list just keeps growing!
BookLovers2015
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Little Women
Currently Reading: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovers2015.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by BookLovers2015 »

My teacher couldn't find anything for me to read so she bought this book and tell me that I needed to read it. I remember being intrigued by the point if view of Death and touched by the innocence of the young children of the story. It also showed another side of WWII, the side of a regular German living in Germany. I finished the book shortly after she gave it to me. I was reading it in AP Math and my friends were worried because I was crying as I reached the end. I've also seen the movie and I thought they did a job well done on that as well.
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

I'm about 20% through this book and I am loving it, haven't read anything like it.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

Wow, wow and wow a definite must read
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

I really enjoyed this book, it was a refreshing change from the thrillers I tend to gravitate towards.
Cher N Words
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-n-words.html

Post by Cher N Words »

Such a wonderful review. I also enjoyed The Book Thief and really appreciated how it showed us the suffering of both sides. It was such a terrible time in our history and usually we tend to remember the treatment of the Jews, I did not know the struggles that touched everyone.
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

Thanks for the wonderful review. I just read this book, this year. The Book Thief is a great book. I can't even put it down. I would really recommend this book. It's so descriptive.
Ashy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashy.html

Post by Ashy »

Gannon wrote:Its in my top ten favourite books of all time. :)
Gannon, I could not agree more. Not only is this one of my favorite books of all time, it is likely one one the best epistolic novels that I've EVER read - hands down. I cried, I laughed, and I was, at times, amazed that I was actually reading a book -- it felt like I was actually living in this other world that Zusak had created entirely from whole cloth, and yet was also firmly routed in our own dark reality. As a writer, I was simply stunned by some of the phrasing that was lovingly crafted and tucked neatly away amid the unassuming passages of this book. There are precious few times in life when one can point to a moment when they come to realize an entirely new topic or can feel a new wrinkle formed on one's brain...this novel created those moments in absurdly amazing frequency.

I highly recommend this book to anyone.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Maud - where have you gone?

Maybe you are off writing a great novel.

I didn't cry, because I sort of felt I had to be brave, if you can understand that.

The movie was also amazing and usually if I have read the book I am not impressed by the movie.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Saw the movie. I guess I should read the book.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

This is in our local library and I've been thinking about giving it a read over the summer. I've never encountered a WWII narrative that focuses so heavily on literature before, which could be interesting :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
mollymonster123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mollymonster123 »

I LITERALLY CANT WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK! I have been eyeing it up for a while bc to me it looked a little intimidating, (idk why lol) , but I am done with that. I am reading after I finish the Harry Potter series. :D
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I have just finished reading this book and I have to say how impressed I am with the descriptions of things. It really sounds like things are described by someone or something from another realm. It's such a unique way of looking at things. The way the narrator uses colors and words in such an unconventional way is very intriguing to me. I just can't even imagine how a person would think to describe something in those words. The way the descriptions were presented, even though they were unconventional, made the scene so much more vivid to me. It's like writing with all the senses involved. I was so immersed in the story because of the descriptions, that the feelings I felt seemed intensified. I am familiar with Anne Frank's diary which tells things from a Jewish point of view, but I never knew about what life was like for the Germans living at this time. I know I will remember this story for a long time.

-- 27 May 2015, 00:11 --

I was thinking more about this book and i was thinking that it seemed strange how there were a lot of just normal things going on even though the people were in the midst of a war. To me I would compare it to the way it can be a nice sunny day on the day you have to go to a funeral because someone you know has died. It doesn't seem like it should just be a normal day with other people going on about their business. Somehow it seems like the world should stop for just a little while and empathize with the grieving person. In the same way it seems like nothing can be normal when there is a war going on. I think it was interesting how the author described every day life for these people.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I can't wait to read this book. As well as his highly recommended Messenger book. I keep hearing about it.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”