Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jssherr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Post by Jssherr »

I really enjoyed this book. It transports you to another time and place and is written in the crisp style of the era.(The 30's). The relationships are complex and absorbing. It's a first novel with a really strong narrative. The characters are well conceived and I liked them all ...which often doesn't happen.
Has anyone out there read this novel yet? Would be interested in some opinions.....

-- 14 Nov 2011, 18:48 --

Does anyone read current fiction? I seem to get very little response whenever I post something that's contemporary and new....
questionsgalore

Post by questionsgalore »

Yes, I read current fiction. I also enjoyed Rules of Civility. I loved the characters, and it reminded me of an old movie. I've read some of your other posts, and I didn't care for The Marriage Plot either, but I did enjoy Middlesex very much. If you haven't gotten to Sense of Ending, I would recommend it. Though I think it leaves a lot of people unsatisfied, it gave me a lot to think about. What are your reading now?
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

I did read Sense of an Ending and loved it..Beautifully written and I enjoyed every minute. I am currently reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It's based on a Russian fairy tale and very captivating so far..I'm afraid it's going to succumb to the typical happy ending...but maybe not..It's certainly different.
I see you just joined so welcome.
My favorite author is Anne Tyler. Have you read any of her books? She is coming out with new one soon. What are you reading now?
If you get a chance check out my book blog. The address is listed below.
questionsgalore

Post by questionsgalore »

I saw the Snow Child but hadn't heard anything about it. You are the second person this week that has recommended Anne Tyler to me. I read The Amateur Marriage years ago and really didn't like the characters, but I think I'm going to have to try her again. Do you have one that is your particular favorite? I love Kaye Gibbons, but she hasn't written in quite a while. Right now I'm reading How It All Began by Penelope Lively. It is my first by her, but I am enjoying it. It is one of those books where everyone pops up in everyone else's life somewhere. I'm hoping there's a twist coming. I just finished The Hunger Games triology. I teach at a middle school, and all the kids were raving about it, so I finally gave in. I thought the story had some problems, but I liked how it ended. Thank you for your welcome! I'll check out your book blog!
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

I have to say I have enjoyed every one of Anne Tyler's books. Her new book is coming out soon and one never knows what to expect. I really can't recommend just one. I would suggest reading some of her earlier books.
I too enjoyed How it All Began..I think Penelope Lively writes really well..It was an easy and enjoyable read.
There's lots of comments on my blog about The Hunger Games.. I got everyone going because of my negative attitude about it..You were good to go see the film...I might have to succumb (I doubt it) but I'm definetly not reading the book.
My next book is going to be History of a Pleasure Seeker..Sounds intriguing and got good reviews. There's so many new ones that I want to read.......hopefully will.....
Sumith

Post by Sumith »

I like this book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”