Lord of the Flies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
titan21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Lord of the Flies

Post by titan21 »

I read this a month or so ago and I found it a bit disappointing. The language for me didn't really click - it just didn't chime with me at all. The story itself is excellent. An interesting examination of how kids would react in a tense situation. I sometimes wonder if there would be more bloodshed in a book set in the modern age. What did you think? Did you enjoy it?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I read it a long time ago. The vernacular is somewhat outdated if I recall. But the concepts have stuck with me. I very much appreciate the obvious parallel between the barbarity of the children and that in the world. Overall I would say I did enjoy it and I was not disappointed.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Read it years ago .... quite a disturbing book but then I was a child at the time.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I agree with your perception of how it reads, for me it was quite hard to follow the paragraphs and disjointed nature of how the book jumped from one character to the next and at times i didnt actually which character was talking! A very good study of a small society broken down but not particularly memorable..
You only live once.....so live!
titan21

Post by titan21 »

StephenKingman wrote:...i didnt actually know which character was talking! A very good study of a small society broken down but not particularly memorable..
This was one of my major bugbears with the book!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Love it, one of my favourite books. I love how the children fall into the two groups, one trying to create a civilised state and the other totally barbaric and reverting to basic instinct and savagery. It raises questions about ourselves as a species, do all of us have this basic savage instinct in us and what would happen if society failed,say after a war.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Gannon wrote:Love it, one of my favourite books. I love how the children fall into the two groups, one trying to create a civilised state and the other totally barbaric and reverting to basic instinct and savagery. It raises questions about ourselves as a species, do all of us have this basic savage instinct in us and what would happen if society failed,say after a war.
The movies seem to think so don't they? You only have to look at the Mad Max films for savagery, and Waterworld to some extent.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

I have to confess that I never understood all the buzz (unintentional play on words) about The Lord of the Flies. Of course, I read it as a teenager. Maybe another reading as an adult would make me appreciate it better.
cityofthedead

Post by cityofthedead »

I had to read it in school and I really liked it. It showed how humans would decline into a barbaric state without any governing rules. The characters seemed real to me and I liked the writing style.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I think this was required reading in high school or I probably wouldn't have read it. Maybe I am too naive, but I still after all the years after I read it, don't think that children could degenerate that much. Although children are different these days and exposed to much more so I guess I could believe it more now than when I read it. I don't remember being impressed by it.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I read it in high school and I didn't really like it at all! The story line was good in how it showed no matter a persons age, when survival kicks in and greed to be on top rules, how fast the situation can decline from something bad to somesomething something even worse. I might reread it to see if my outlook has changed any.

-- February 4th, 2014, 10:09 pm --

I read it in high school and I didn't really like it at all! The story line was good in how it showed no matter a persons age, when survival kicks in and greed to be on top rules, how fast the situation can decline from something bad to somesomething something even worse. I might reread it to see if my outlook has changed any.
forgetful01
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-forgetful01.html

Post by forgetful01 »

i've read Lord of the Flies more times than i can count on both hands, and each time it's gotten better and better in my own eyes. i loved it the first time and couldn't want to reread it. the instincts of fear and survival always stuck with me throughout the book
haines_drew
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haines-drew.html
Latest Review: "The Recluse Storyteller" by Mark W Sasse

Post by haines_drew »

I read this book for the first time when I was about 12 years old if I remember correctly. I had to read it as a summer assignment to get into honors English. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I actually quite liked it. Being a 12 year old I liked that it was much more gruesome than most of the things I had to read for school besides maybe the Giver (that baby murdering chapter will always haunt me.) I thought the themes in the book were very applicable to modern society and at the end of the summer I was glad that it was our summer reading assignment.
Latest Review: "The Recluse Storyteller" by Mark W Sasse
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

Despite the mixed reviews, I can't help but think I'm missing out by having not read it. I went to an IB high school where this book was apparently not required reading. It's downright embarrassing that I'm a certified English teacher and I haven't read it. Shameful, I know. But this thread made me more excited to read it when I eventually get around to it.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by mbeasley »

I read this my freshman year of high school for a class. I was lucky to have an amazing teacher and it is because of her that I really fell in love with it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”