Unsung Hero - Kevin Fulton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cal Trask
Bookshelf Size: 0

Unsung Hero - Kevin Fulton

Post by Cal Trask »

My Dad loaned me this. It wasn't a book I would have picked on this particular subject but I thought I'd give it a go.

Kevin Fulton (which is an alias) was a catholic from Newry who joined the British Army. His religion wasn't of much interst to him, but it was to the British Security forces of the late 1970's. They recruited him to try and infiltrate the provisional IRA. This is his story of living a double life for fifteen years and rising through the ranks of a terrorist organisation to the point where his trusting IRA commanders appointed him the job of investigating suspected informers within the organisation.

At 270 pages I knew this probably wasn't going to be as indepth as I would have wanted, and it wasn't. I suspect the publication of the book was to raise money for Fulton, who is now on the run for the rest of his life after his security forces handlers renaged on promises and dumped him after he had become surplus to requirements. He's also trying to stay out of the way of some of the men he helped to convict who have since been let out of prison under the Good Friday agreement and who, to put it mildly, may want to have a bit of a word with him.

This book is premature in its publication and Fulton's story is sketchy due to the fact that for legal reasons he can't name people he was involved with because he is in the middle of a big legal battle with the British government to try to get the money he was promised from them.

One day this mans story will be told in full, and when it is I will rush out to buy the book. But for now if you were going to buy a book on this subject I would advise you to pass this over, but I can highly recommend Eamon Collins 'Killing Rage' or anything by the brilliant Tim Pat Coogan.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@Cal Trask
If the subject interests you Ed Moloney's book A Secret History of the IRA is superb.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”