Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dailybitsofwisdom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Post by dailybitsofwisdom »

The bond between a teacher and student is one of the longest lasting relationships in existence. Connections like that of a father and son, general and soldier, mother and daughter, and even boss and employee shape more of who we are than we are ever likely to admit. Even through the midst of separation, either defined in time or location, a teacher’s guidance is never lost. Whenever hard times hit their voice will run through our head, old images that were forgotten will return, and we will remember the unique way they showed us their sincere love.

If you’re one of my older readers you may recall the release of one of the nineties best-selling self help books entitled Tuesdays with Morrie. The book, which was written by journalist Mitch Albom, follows the story of the author’s old college professor Morrie Schwatrz’s diagnosis and ordeal with ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a fatal disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. As the disease progresses the brain loses the ability to control muscle movement eventually leading to paralysis. In the average 2-5 year span people deal with the illness, the body becomes weaker and weaker until its primary organs shut down and the person dies.

This terrible news happens at a time when Albom has long forgotten about his mentor. Despite promising to keep in touch after graduation, Mitch quickly throws away many of his professors’s teachings getting swept into the world of work and raising a family. It’s not until Albom sees his old friend on a special NBC Nightline episode do the memories come flooding back and the urge to reunite with his mentor returns.

When Mitch sees his professor again for the first time in 15 years, he is afraid of the repercussions rekindling this relationship could ignite. Albom has always been a reserved man, and Morrie was always trying to make him express his feelings. If his old professor finds out he has been living a lie these past years, who knows what Morrie will think of him. But as the two sit down inside Morrie’s cozy, brick-laden, suburban home warm feelings instantly return. Mitch is amazed at his mentor’s acceptance of his impending fate and entranced by his presence, simplicity, and compassion.

Intending to only see Morrie once, Albom soon finds himself making weekly visits to his old friend every Tuesday. And during each visit the two men discuss a list of subjects, of Mitch’s own creation, on things every person would like clarification on before they die. Each passing week, as Morrie’s condition deteriorates and he goes from using a wheelchair and eating solid foods to being confined to his study and fed a slurry of mashed up goo, the author gets his old teacher’s thoughts on life’s biggest questions. Topics like death, fear, aging, greed, marriage, family, forgiveness, and even society are all on the chopping block.

As Mr. Schwatrz gets closer to his end, the reader sees a profound change in Albom, he has opened up. Once uncomfortable just sitting in the room with his dying friend, Mitch enjoys caring for his old professor by massaging decayed muscles and helping him get the phlegm out of his lungs when he goes into one of his extended coughing fits.

Of all the imagery in this book, my favorite involves the last meeting between Mitch and Morrie. On his last visit, Albom enters the house to find his mentor at his weakest yet, confined to bed with stubble grazing his face. All throughout the book Morrie is adamant about doing as much for himself as he can. Even as his condition deteriorates and he is forced to accept help for the simplest of tasks, he continues to his old adage of, “When you’re in bed, you’re dead.” Now, barely able to speak and with nothing left to do but die, Albom is left with one of life’s greatest truths staring him in the face.

It’s an insightful look at culture’s preference of shooing the old and dying away not to be seen so we can continue living our superficial lives. That's why I give it 9/10 stars. It's truly one of the best told stories I've ever read.
Jesleigh
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesleigh.html
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake

Post by Jesleigh »

I read this book in my 7th grade health class and I found myself on the verge of tears in the middle of class. Albom has an undeniable way with words and that shines through in this book. By the end of the book, I felt as if I was the one watching my friend slowly fade.
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

My daughter referred this to me several years ago. Very motivating, and moving.
Token conservative
Showiebowie
Favorite Author: David Eddings
Favorite Book: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-showiebowie.html
fav_author_id: 13690

Post by Showiebowie »

My high school english teacher read portions of this book to us and I remember wanting to read more but forgot about the book until it was one of the books my college psychology teacher required us to read. I enjoyed the book very much and can think of few books that have moved me as this one did.
nickyb325

Post by nickyb325 »

I just read this!! I had bought it forever ago and completely forgot it was on my shelf (does anyone else do this!?) In the meantime I had read his newest The Timekeeper, which is also great if you liked Tuesdays with Morrie. Another one of those books that the story line is simply there to convey the deeper messages that Albom is trying to get across. Just a vehicle for the lessons instead of smacking the reader straight in the face with them. I didn't go into reading Tuesdays with Morrie searching for a self-help book, but it feels like that's what I found.
jp7395

Post by jp7395 »

We JUST finished this book in my English class and I am probably the only one in the entire class that has not teared up or confessed that their life has been changed. I know this book is supposed to be moving and deep but, personally, I did not find the book to be all that it's cracked up to be. I am unimpressed with this book.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

jp7395 wrote:We JUST finished this book in my English class and I am probably the only one in the entire class that has not teared up or confessed that their life has been changed. I know this book is supposed to be moving and deep but, personally, I did not find the book to be all that it's cracked up to be. I am unimpressed with this book.
Delighted to read your post: I thought I was the only one who thought this book a grossly overhyped load of nonsense. I didn't find it to be anything special and it did nothing for me.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

Fran wrote:
jp7395 wrote:We JUST finished this book in my English class and I am probably the only one in the entire class that has not teared up or confessed that their life has been changed. I know this book is supposed to be moving and deep but, personally, I did not find the book to be all that it's cracked up to be. I am unimpressed with this book.
Delighted to read your post: I thought I was the only one who thought this book a grossly overhyped load of nonsense. I didn't find it to be anything special and it did nothing for me.
Have to say I agree with you Fran. I was told prior to reading, how profound, touching, with lessons on how to live your life to the fullest. I found it very simplistic, bland and a little shallow. I was expecting so much more, then felt like a book heathen when I was the only one in book club who thought so.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

primrose777 wrote:
Fran wrote:
Have to say I agree with you Fran. I was told prior to reading, how profound, touching, with lessons on how to live your life to the fullest. I found it very simplistic, bland and a little shallow. I was expecting so much more, then felt like a book heathen when I was the only one in book club who thought so.
@prim
We may have to form our own support group :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

@Fran.. I've got your back :D :D
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
jp7395

Post by jp7395 »

I thought I was alone in my opinion, but feel much better now, haha. Everybody in my class says they loved it and two girls admitted to it "completely changing their lives." :roll: As I suspected from the beginning, when we first got the book, I was unfazed at its contents.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

It did make me remember fondly a professor who wrote me a lovely letter when my father passed, and now I think that professor has no doubt passed, and with no word from me.
I was struggling, and his letter is behind the photo of my father yet - my dear girl, he wrote, somewhere your father is still your father, and still loves you....
But I have to admit I haven't been tempted to read any other books by Mitch Albom.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
tiajanay

Post by tiajanay »

I read this book one summer in the fifth grade and while i understood and liked it wasn't able to fully appreciate it until recently. When I was reading it again I cried almost the whole time. the story is told with so much passion and emotion and just enough detail so that i kind of feel like i was visiting Morrie as well and bringing him food i knew he could eat just to see his smile. Just recently I had the great opportunity to have a teacher in my life who not only reminded me of Morrie but touched me in ways i cant imagine my life without the experiences that she bestowed upon me. Tuesdays with Morries is not a book you read once and are done. Its one you keep and reread because nothing comes but a better appreciation of the people in your life.
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

I also really liked "The Five People you meet in Heaven" I thought it was really touching and the end passage is one of my favourite passages of all time in a book.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

It was my favorite short little book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”