Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert Review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert Review

Post by Booklover83 »

Wow! I am not one to read books more than once. There are a few exceptions and this book is going to be one of them. I found Elizabeth's journey to be raw, emotional, and uplifting. As she starts her journey in Italy right through the end in Indonesia, not only does she learn about herself but she learns about God as well. She starts of a bit cynical and in deep pain from a personal decision she had to make to, what I believe save her own sanity and life. It is through meditation, eating, and selflessness that she finds her true happy ending.

I found myself chuckling and sometimes laughing out loud at the frankness and honesty of the gurus and people she met in her travels because we as Americans tend to be less than honest and not always nearly as blunt as the wonderful people she met. I do not classify this book as a "chick book" because I learned a LOT from this book, mostly about being grateful and realizing that it is ok to acknowledge parts of yourself that you may not want to and forgiving yourself WITHOUT apologizing because life is not about apologizing, it is about owning who you are while still learning, growing and becoming closer to your inner self, or in Elizabeth's case both the inner self and God. This was an amazing book and I WILL be purchasing this book and reading it again when I feel lost to remind me that no person is lost inside or outside themselves and all they need to do is look to themselves to find what they are looking for.
Bergamot

Post by Bergamot »

I enjoyed this, I think it was the clean fresh start that attracted me; and her search for inner peace. I went on to read the follow up to this: 'Committed'. This had mixed reviews as Elizabeth Gilbert sourced a lot of history relating to marriage and some people felt that this wasn't relevant. I disagree and found it quite fascinating.
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

Bergamont,

I will have to check out Committed then:) I did enjoy GIlbert's writing style. Thanks!
slpeters2009
Favorite Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Favorite Book: Garden Spells
Currently Reading: Distant Hours by Kate Norton
fav_author_id: 1802

Post by slpeters2009 »

anyone see the movie? I did not read the book...I enjoyed the movie---funny it was not the movie we intended on seeing---we arrived late and missed the intended movie. I rather enjoyed this movie! I assume the book to be just as grand! Were there any conflicts between the written word and the movie..or did it follow the book? :?:
troxelkr

Post by troxelkr »

I actually never made it through the whole book. I usually love this type if book, but in this case it didn't click. I stopped about half way through. I just didn't think it was good at all. I really don't see what all of the hype was about. It was also very slow moving and frequently bored me.

I did actually like the movie. I love Julia Roberts and enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
bookstasted

Post by bookstasted »

troxelkr, I agree. I did make it through the whole book, but I didn't get what all the hype was about. The book is divided into three sections, Italy, India, and Bali. I loved the Italy section, but I do love to read about eating. The India section was dull to me, and the Bali section made her seem supremely self-absorbed. I wanted to like this book, but couldn't bring myself to like it as a whole.
AT+rmarathon[16]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-at-rmarathon-16.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by AT+rmarathon[16] »

I just finished reading this book.its so wonderful that the book includes so much of travel.I have always had this idea in mind about travelling around the world,not just for a few days but actually staying in a place long enough to get to know the place thoroughly and it is just this,that the author has managed to portray in her work.
she has clearly managed to mark the distinction between the east and the west in a non- judgemental and truly appreciative manner and has juxtaposed her individual travel both literally and metaphorically.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I haven't read the book completely yet. I just started it. I have seen the movie however, and I loved it.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”