Booker Prize Short List

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dora Flood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Booker Prize Short List

Post by Dora Flood »

I am working my way through the books on this years Booker Prize short list and was wondering if anyone's read any; and if so what they thought?

So far I've read:
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Snowdrop by A.D.Miller
and Pigeon English by Stephen Kelmen

I've enjoyed them all, they're very different in style and plot, but so far Pigeon English is by far my favorite. The style is unique and brilliant, the main character is so engaging, and it is both very funny and heartbreakingly sad; everything I want from a book really! Although I've got 3 more to go, I'd be very happy if this one wins.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Dora Flood wrote:I am working my way through the books on this years Booker Prize short list and was wondering if anyone's read any; and if so what they thought?

So far I've read:
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Snowdrop by A.D.Miller
and Pigeon English by Stephen Kelmen

I've enjoyed them all, they're very different in style and plot, but so far Pigeon English is by far my favorite. The style is unique and brilliant, the main character is so engaging, and it is both very funny and heartbreakingly sad; everything I want from a book really! Although I've got 3 more to go, I'd be very happy if this one wins.
I've read The Sense of an Ending & absolutely loved it. Snowdrop I did not like at all to be honest IMO way too heavy on the stereotypes. I've posted already on both these books.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Dora Flood

Post by Dora Flood »

I agree about the stereotypes in snowdrop. I found it a generally enjoyable read, but I'm, surprised that it made it to the long list, let alone the short. Really recommend Pigeon English though!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Dora Flood wrote:I agree about the stereotypes in snowdrop. I found it a generally enjoyable read, but I'm, surprised that it made it to the long list, let alone the short. Really recommend Pigeon English though!
I must get my hands on Pigeon English ... I hope to the them all read before they announce a winner. That way I can be highly indignant when they don't agree with my opinion, as they probably won't.
:lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bookworm2011

Post by Bookworm2011 »

I've heard great things about The Cat's Table. I haven't read it yet, but I've read some of his others and have really enjoyed them.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”