The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lebowski
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Post by Lebowski »

The Wind-Up Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, a very highly regarded contemporary writer in Japan. The story can be very surreal and dream-like/metaphysical at times - almost like a David Lynch film as some reviews I read said. I found this book on a Chapters list of 'books that will change your life'.

Here is part of the book description:
In a Tokyo suburb a young man named Toru Okada searches for his wife's missing cat. Soon he finds himself looking for his wife as well in a netherworld that lies beneath the placid surface of Tokyo. As these searches intersect, Okada encounters a bizarre group of allies and antagonists: a psychic prostitute; a malevolent yet mediagenic politician; a cheerfully morbid sixteen-year-old-girl; and an aging war veteran who has been permanently changed by the hideous things he witnessed during Japan's forgotten campaign in Manchuria.

The description really only cracks the surface of the story. Has anyone here read this book?
Last edited by Lebowski on 13 Sep 2011, 19:09, edited 2 times in total.
Cal Trask

Post by Cal Trask »

Hi Leb

I read this a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it. For me regarding the narrative and ending I enjoyed the journey more than the arrival. really good mysterious stuff. I keep meaning to check out his other books. Your post has put him back on my radar. Thanks.
Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

Hi, I have to agree it was all about the journey although I personally don't mind books/movies that don't always give clear cut answers to everything. It was more of the little things throughout the story that left me wondering rather than the main problems. For example, what was with the empty Cutty Sark box?

I also found it interesting how much Murakami knows and references American pop culture. I plan to read more of Murakami's writing as well because I enjoyed this book very much, the translation was also very well done.
Dora Flood

Post by Dora Flood »

I love Murukami, but haven't read this one yet. Kafka on the Shore and Hard-boiled Wonderland at the end of the Universe are my favorites so far. I've also read Norwegian Wood, Sputnik Sweetheart and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

Which of his books do you think is the best and why?
Pluggs123

Post by Pluggs123 »

This book was loaned to me by a fellow co-worker. I am completely lost as to the meaning of the book, there are so many characters in the book, as well as subplots. I am hoping someone can shed light on this book. It was a good read, but the ending did not satisfy my curiosity.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the book while ago and liked it. In Haruki Murakami books there in no use to look for meaning or logic. One just has to sit back and enjoy the wild ride into the author's imagination. The author often leaves open ends and let the reader to guess the ending.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Pluggs123

Post by Pluggs123 »

I am assuming all of his books are written this way.I don't see the point of writing a book without meaning or logic.
gali

Post by gali »

Indeed and that's the fun in his books. He has a unique style which takes getting used to.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Linkhorn

Post by Linkhorn »

Pluggs123 wrote:I am assuming all of his books are written this way.I don't see the point of writing a book without meaning or logic.
Probably don't wan to read Kafka then, especially not 'the Trial', the meaning is that there's no logic, the logic being that there's no meaning.
"We travel not for trafficking alone; By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned." J.E.F.
Pluggs123

Post by Pluggs123 »

Do you feel that reading more of his work would not give me a greater understanding of this type of writing? My friend said he should have started me out with one of his other books. I'm a little intrigued now. This book got great reviews, I'm not suggesting that is was a bad read, I'm just used to a climax that ties all the parts together at the end of a book. That's what I was looking for.
gali

Post by gali »

You should try his "Kafka on the Shore" and "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". Those are my favorite.
A retired Admin/Mod

prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Haruki Murakami often writes bizarre stories. :D
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

It sounds interesting.
benedictusk

Post by benedictusk »

I am reading this now a second time 2 years after first. I loved it the first time because it was so strange and fantastic - i fell into its world and tumbled blindly through its bizarre corridors, bouncing rolling softly on dark blue purple liquid walls that did not wet, corridors which bent and curled and twisted in all directions and other dimensions, with infinite other smaller corridors riddling the walls. There was no end, but rather at some point I fell through the wall to a place with no walls at all not even a floor, a place filled only with light - white light, which of course is all light.
Reading it a 2nd time 2 years later, I understand everything. I want to say "lots of symbolism" but that won't help you understand it. Read it Slow, Know that Every Action Every Detail Has Meaning and Things that Contradict are True. I Understand because I Was 17 When I Read It First and I Am 19 Now. Much Has Happened In That Time, In Terms of My Development and Understanding of Myself and Everything Else. I Can Only Advise You Look At Yourself from an Old New Objective Subjective Omniscient and Ignorant Perspective.
I Dont Know What Kind of Life You Live, But If You Want to Understand This Book, Be Prepared To Change Your Flow and Find More Liquid Balance - Be Prepared To Undo Knots and Unlock Shackles and Break Dams and Let the Water Flow

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”