Child of God - Cormac McCarthy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cal Trask
Bookshelf Size: 0

Child of God - Cormac McCarthy

Post by Cal Trask »

This is the story of Lester Ballard. A hillbilly (or Appalachain American if you want to get all pc), who has been thrown off the land that his family had owned for generations. Lester is a bit quirky to say the least, and the book follows him stalking people (amongst other things) and surviving like a wild animal in the hills of East Tennessee.

Child of God (the book, not JC) landed through my letterbox on Friday and I finished it on Sunday. Even though I was out and about a bit this weekend, I was snatching whatever time I could to read this. I can’t remember the last time I was as gripped by a book. Not that this is a thriller in the regular sense. Its just that I was totally bewitched from the start by McCarthys writing. Now I don’t know why I would be on the side of a character like Lester Ballard but I was. McCarthy pushes you toward feeling pity for this outsider, even though he is pretty awful.

Through the writers acute descriptions of the changing seasons, landscapes, and weather it was as if I was walking with Ballard every step of the way across the hills and dirt roads of Tennessee. A lot of the story and Ballard’s exploits are pretty grim to say the least, but for some reason you can’t stop reading. This is the most impressive and economical piece of fiction I have read in a long time. A fine example of less is more with regard to the unflowery style.
Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

I am quite fond of McCarthy's writing. Blood Meridian is one of my favorite books, I would recommend it to you if you haven't already read it. It sounds similar to your review of Child of God with the descriptive writing that makes you feel like as if you are riding a horse right alongside the characters in the vast US/Mexico desert, there are also a few parts that are extremely violent/grim.

I have also read part of his Border Trilogy, and up next on my list is Suttree (which is on its way in the mail). Haven't read Child of God yet but I'm sure I will get to it someday soon!
Cal Trask

Post by Cal Trask »

I'll look up Blood Meridian, thanks Leb. I have read Sutree and I enjoyed it. I loved The Border Trilogy but my mistake was to buy the one volume edition and read all three books back to back. I wish I had spaced them out more.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

The only McCarthy book I have read was THE ROAD and I was totally blown away!!
Cal Trask

Post by Cal Trask »

I agree SS, a great read and plenty of food for thought re: man's inhumanity to man. I thought the film was pretty good as well.
Brigante1981

Post by Brigante1981 »

Slipstream wrote:The only McCarthy book I have read was THE ROAD and I was totally blown away!!
Loved the road. I'm not a father but it prompted me to go and hang out with my dad watching football and drinking beer. The film was a good effort too.

I will definitely be reading Child of God.
Cal Trask

Post by Cal Trask »

Nice sentiment Brigante. Did your Dad buy the beer? :D
Brigante1981

Post by Brigante1981 »

Cal Trask wrote:Nice sentiment Brigante. Did your Dad buy the beer? :D
Always!
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Have just read The Road, loved it, don't know why I haven't read any of his before, will read more asap :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”