The Help, Book Club Discussion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gfilm
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Help, Book Club Discussion

Post by Gfilm »

So I cracked this sweet baby up on my mini-vacation this weekend and only got a few pages in.

So far I like the style of the author, but like I said just got in a few pages so today will be reading more![/code]
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

I was going to start reading the other day but I opened the book and fell asleep in like five minutes. Lol. I guess I needed the sleep. Going to hopefully start reading tonight.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Hey guys! My copy will be here Wednesday. I'm planning on jumping right into it. Can't wait to discuss it with all of you here.

Hope all is well with everyone and sending big {{{hug}}} to Jdlovr and your new little bundle of love. ♥ ~Mars
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

JD, I hope you are doing okay. I know it must be hard. I am not very religious at all but I lit up a candle for you and your family at the Catholic church when I was there with my friend.

Giving you hugs.

So, when you are in a waiting room (or just need to relax), I hope our new book for this month will put your mind at ease.

Ceebee62

Post by Ceebee62 »

Evening :D

I've stopped at chapter 16 tonight. Where's everyone else at? Don't want to give any spoilers away so I won't say much about the story yet. Just how I'm feeling .....

So many emotions, so many thoughts. To think how African American people were treated, it makes me mad and sad at the same time. I just want to shout to those ignorant people -- what are you thinking?, How can you treat another human being like that?, Black diseases?, etc.

Love all the characters so far. Seems like I've personally encountered some, if not all, of these people so far in my life.

Hope everyone has a nice evening!
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Helloos! I am just on chapter 8.

I think some are probably just getting into it.

From what I have been reading, yes, it was like a complete different world of treatment.
Mars

Post by Mars »

My book arrived yesterday and I began reading last night. Got the first three chapters in before bedtime. I plan on reading more tonight. So far, I love it. The author does a great job writing in dialect.

The story is so reminiscent of the times in the early 60's. The description of those "white" women seemed eerily familiar. Certainly shows you didn't have to be from the south to know discrimination.

Can't wait to get as far into the book as some of you have done, already. Please don't feel like you're spoiling it for latecomers like me who aren't as far into the book as you. Talk about it. You won't spoil a thing. Honest ♥
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Everyone try and reach maybe chapter 10 by next Tues?

Is that too much :P
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Hey you guys! I had no idea that another forum was created for The Help! How did I miss that... oh well

I am on Chapter 14 now. I guess I will come back on Tuesday for the discussion. So much to say but I have to get back to work. I'll check back then.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Gfilm wrote:Everyone try and reach maybe chapter 10 by next Tues?

Is that too much :P
Not too much for me, Gfilm. I may even be able to finish the entire book over the weekend.

Hope your day is going well, as everyone else who reads this. A big shout out to everyone here to have a wonderful holiday weekend! I'm putting my flag out today. It will be up for the duration of the weekend and Monday. :)
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Ok well, I will light a fire under me to get myself going on more chapters. :P

HOM not the whole book yet lol.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I'll try to control myself! LOL In my younger days, BC (before children), I could read an entire book in 24 hours. I can't do anything for 24 hours now. LOL
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Hello friends...what a busy week! I worked 7 days straight with a 2 day break & now I'm working 4 more days...off on Monday & then back to work again! I'm going to try to read a few chapters so we can meet up on Tuesday. I am pooped!
Ceebee62

Post by Ceebee62 »

Afternoon! Just finished the book last night. It's one of those books you have a hard time putting down as you want to know what happens next! Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to discussing with everyone on Tuesday evening.

Mars, both of my kids are in college now so luckily I have the freedom to read! I'm glad football has started -- my husband can happily watch all the games his little heart desires. :lol:

Clean, I'm guessing you work retail. I work for a major grocery store/chain and I unfortunately have experienced those long days/weeks. Hang in there!

Take care all and enjoy the rest of your weekend! Talk to you all on Tuesday
:D
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I work at Starbucks Ceebee, same thing as retaill!!!!!!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”