The Shack-Review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover83
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Shack-Review

Post by Booklover83 »

I finished this book the same day I started it. 8/21/2011.

I found it to be a good book because it reads like a conversation between the main character and God, Jesus and the Holy spirit. As you read through the book, you find that one of the lessons that comes through clearly is that those in power truly did not know what God is about. Throughout the book the main character tries to deal with something awful that happens to his child. He gets angry and blames God for all of the problems that this situation creates. It is a good book for people to sit down and see what a literal conversation with God may be like if one ever had a chance to hear Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit answer back like we talk as humans. The biggest lesson I got from this book is that God is reachable even as a human being and no matter how you get to God, He is still there.
Simworm
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Simworm »

That sounds really good! I think my mum might have told me about this book a short while ago. I think I'll have to put on my TBR. Thanks for the review :D
"Oh, tis love that makes the world go round" - Lewis Carroll
Florinda

Post by Florinda »

ya.. thanks.. i am getting interest to read this book..
A24

Post by A24 »

My fellow christian best friend had recommended this one to me and she absolutely loved it. But, I found it hard to get through and what happened to the daughter extremely disturbing. It was, however, an interesting perspective of the Trilogy - God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Would I recommend it? Not necessarily, but I would suggest people curious to read it for themselves.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
troxelkr

Post by troxelkr »

I would have to agree with the original review. I found this to be an amazing book. It only took me a day or two to get through it. I love the way that it was written, and for some reason it really hit home when I was reading it. Very powerful message.
A24

Post by A24 »

A24 wrote:My fellow christian best friend had recommended this one to me and she absolutely loved it. But, I found it hard to get through and what happened to the daughter extremely disturbing. It was, however, an interesting perspective of the Trilogy - God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Would I recommend it? Not necessarily, but I would suggest people curious to read it for themselves.
I meant to say "Trinity" not Trilogy
~Patrick Henry
troxelkr

Post by troxelkr »

I absolutely love this book. I finished it within a day or two. The way that it is written and the subject were phenomenal. Such an amazing book. this is one that I plan on reading again and again. I even bought a copy for my grandma.
ash_lethal

Post by ash_lethal »

This book ins INCREDIBLE. I was raised in a strong Christian family and many of my years growing up I struggled with grasping the concept of following Christ and following the "commands" of God. I questioned a lot and I doubted even more. I am a very spiritually curious person so after years and years of exploring and searching for answers I would say I felt in my heart more like a Buddhist than anything else. Until I came across this book that my boyfriend had been given by his mother. I felt a strong urge to read it and like many of you I finished it within 48 hours. This book is one that changed my life forever. I feel like I truly have a relationship with Jesus as before I felt like I was only in the company of God. This book made me see Jesus as a human being, like myself, and made me believe in the power of God and the Holy Spirit. I truly feel like a more complete person with a better understanding of who and what God and Jesus are.
A24

Post by A24 »

ash_lethal wrote:This book ins INCREDIBLE. I was raised in a strong Christian family and many of my years growing up I struggled with grasping the concept of following Christ and following the "commands" of God. I questioned a lot and I doubted even more. I am a very spiritually curious person so after years and years of exploring and searching for answers I would say I felt in my heart more like a Buddhist than anything else. Until I came across this book that my boyfriend had been given by his mother. I felt a strong urge to read it and like many of you I finished it within 48 hours. This book is one that changed my life forever. I feel like I truly have a relationship with Jesus as before I felt like I was only in the company of God. This book made me see Jesus as a human being, like myself, and made me believe in the power of God and the Holy Spirit. I truly feel like a more complete person with a better understanding of who and what God and Jesus are.
That's Awesome! Happy for you as so many people just "don't get it"! True Christianity is really very simple!
~Patrick Henry
sharylsdan

Post by sharylsdan »

I agree that this was a good book but you need to keep close track of where you are in the book, just like life. I found that sometimes I lost track of myself and the characters that I was following. If you liked this book you will also like Mitch Albom's books. I just recently read his The First Phone Call From Heaven.
William Young and Mitch Albom have a similar style of writing and their venue is in the same genre.
jovanovi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

I absolutely loved this book and have read it more than once in previous years. It's a "you can borrow it but give it back" book for me. What happens to the main character and how he tries to work through it is so heartwretching. I loved how The Father, Son and Holy Spirit were represented in the story and it opened my perspective a bit. It was thought provoking for me and comforting.
shantelren

Post by shantelren »

I read this book and it took me forever to get through. While I can entirely understand a father reaching out to God for support; I do not agree with how God and the Trinity were portrayed.
I had very Catholic Grandparents and I understand the Catholic religion fairly well, but something about "Papa" and that portrayal just hit me as wrong. While I'm not a religious person, and I took that into account when going into this book, and all bias aside what happened to the Father with the child was gut wrenching. Being a parent myself I can not imagine going through that ordeal, but once God was put into it, that about finished the book for me. I found it hard to read because of that. I can not imagine God, if there IS a God, being like the character in the book.
Would I read this again? Nope. Do I suggest this book to friends? Only if they have issues getting to sleep. But seriously, no, I do not suggest it as a read to anyone.
CJDSpencer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjdspencer.html

Post by CJDSpencer »

I read this book. It was enjoyable as a piece of fiction. Although I do understand what the author was trying to convey, there were so many things wrong with the basic theology that I could only enjoy it as fiction.
love2read4+ever

Post by love2read4+ever »

I read this book awhile ago. I realize there was some controversy about it, but I believe the book has a good message. I believe we all have doubts in life and at times we don't know what our next step should be or where to go next. This book asks the hard question we all have wrestled with at some point. We all wonder if God is real and if He is real why are things so bad in a particular life or in the world in general. This book offers the reader an answer to this question. Perhaps there are some points the theologian will disagree with, but in the end God is glorified and as a Christian I can rejoice in that.
jmcclai-4

Post by jmcclai-4 »

I have read this book twice and the second time alot of things made more sense to me than the first time I read it. I have shared this book with several of my friends and we all had a different perspective of the book. Each of us pulled something totally different from the book. Something they may have touched me or stood out to me did not stand out to them. Great read I will reread.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”