Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie-Ann
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-ann.html

Re: Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Post by Stephanie-Ann »

I read this series prior to allowing my kids to read them. I have to say that for "teen fiction" they actually captured and held my attention throughout the series. To be honest I had never read, nor had any desire to read, any fiction focusing on vampires. I anticipated it to be nonsense and drivel, but the writing appealed to me. This storyline was so unique to my typical books of choice and ended up holding my interest to the very end. Upon finishing them I was happy to share them with my kids. Fun, different and easy!
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I read them back in high school because there was such a hype around them! It was one of those series that was a guilty pleasure for me. I didn't like to admit I enjoyed them, but I did. My biggest objection about the book is about how Edward Cullen was painted as the "perfect man." This guy was way too old for her, was possessive, jealous, snuck into her house without permission, secretive, and dangerous. I think it's a bit sad that this was pictured as her love interest because it was a very unhealthy relationship. The only thing the guy had going for him was his extremely good looks, fighting skills, and immortality. I don't remember in which book but he stops talking to her for months and she falls into a deep depression. I thought that was pretty terrible, that she still takes him back after all of that.
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
For all who read boo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-for-all-who-read-boo.html

Post by For all who read boo »

I like this book a lot. The author has put a lot of effort in this. Vivid imagination of author makes this book deliberately interesting.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Even though I've heard some writers say that twilight was poorly written, I enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't a fan of Bella because her character was too weak and useless for my liking. She proved some worth by the end but it was far too late for me to change my mind about her. I loved the romance between Edward and Bella. My favorite character from the series was Aro.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Personally I mostly enjoyed the Twilight Series. Maybe because I was 14 years old at the time, so I dont know how adult me feels about it. They are miles better than the movie. Although this series is immature and silly at times its fun to read. Eclipse is my second favourite after Twilight(The first book). I think that Bella should choose Edward because they both have this unhealthy obsessive relationship style that is better left kept between the both of them. Jacob.... hes stupid but he doesn't deserve that kind of crazy.
VNessa18
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Thr Struggle
Bookshelf Size: 22
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by VNessa18 »

I enjoyed the Twilight series more when it first came out. Honestly, the series hasn't aged well.
pblanks
Favorite Book: New Moon
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B01M9I83D2

Post by pblanks »

This book review is regarding Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I am a new member to OBC; this is my first review, however, I hope to convey the many reasons I enjoyed Twilight, as well as the only one reason I disliked it. Additionally, I hope to provide some insight about its target audience and appeal factors.

I absolutely loved this book! I rate it 4 out of 4 stars! The first thing that caught my attention was the Bible verse that the author included after the Contents page, before the story even began: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Genesis 2:17)

As I began reading Twilight, I soon learned that this is a story about a seventeen year-old girl named Isabella (“Bella”) Swan and her interest in a very attractive schoolmate (Edward Cullen). After moving to Forks, Washington, Bella tries to adapt to her new life at home and school, which presents some challenges. She leaves her mother (Renee) and sunny Phoenix, Arizona, and moves to the cold, rainy Olympic Peninsula to stay with her father (Charlie), Chief of Police. She meets some new friends (Mike, Jessica, Eric, Angela, Tyler) and reconnects with a childhood acquaintance (Jacob Black). She becomes very curious about the Cullen family, due to their overwhelmingly attractive features and enchanting traits. She has a special interest in Edward, whom she soon develops strong feelings for. As the book progresses, Bella and Edward face many trials, tribulations, obstacles, and hardships.

Things I especially enjoyed about Twilight include the following:
● Stephenie Meyer’s usage of language and imagery
- Very descriptive, such as in Chapter 6 (Scary Stories), the trip to the beach at
La Push, including the details of the water (dark gray with white caps), rocks
(colorful smooth stones in shades of terra-cotta, sea green, lavender, blue
gray, dull gold), and driftwood fire (blue and green flames). (Pages 114-115)
Also Chapter 13 (Confessions), Edward’s skin is described as sparkling, like
thousands of diamonds, glittering like crystals. (Page 260)
●The author's usage of Analogies
- In Chapter 13 (Confessions), Edward compares Bella’s scent to a floral
fragrance, like lavender or freesia. (Page 306)
- In Chapter 13 (Confessions), Edward compares his craving for Bella’s blood to
an alcoholic, tempted by the finest brandy, and then better yet, a drug
addict craving the best brand of heroin. (Pages 267-268)
●Foreshadowing
- In Chapter 15 (The Cullens), Alice has a premonition that foreshadows what
happens in the climatic final chapters of the book.
●Allusion
- In Chapter 24 (An Impasse), Bella says, “I can’t always be Lois Lane… I want to
be Superman too.” (Page 474)

Some other things I really like about Twilight: the fact that it seems to be well-edited, as I found no spelling or punctuation errors; also, I only noticed one usage of borderline profanity, on Page 384, Bella is talking to Edward and says, “Then you can take me any damned place you want.”

In conclusion, I’d like to reiterate how much I enjoyed this book. I realize that its target audience is supposed to be Young Adult, but I think it appeals to adults of all ages. The only thing I disliked about Twilight is sometimes it got a little bit too “cheesy” between Bella and Edward, but that is easy to overlook, considering everything this book has to offer, including very likable characters, humor, belief in “good vs. evil,” extraordinary usage of language techniques, and much more.

I would highly recommend Twilight to everyone, and I cannot wait to start the next book in the series. Thank you, Stephenie Meyer!
pblanks
Currently Reading:

Post by pblanks »

This book review is in response to New Moon (Twilight Saga: Book 2) by Stephenie Meyer. Not only did I really enjoy this story, which is certainly one of heroic achievement, I was impressed by the author’s literary skills and her ability to keep me captivated until the end. New Moon is full of inspiration, romance, adventure, humor, suspense, surprises, twists and turns, all which contribute to its appeal.

Following Twilight, New Moon is a continuation of the heartfelt romance between Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, yet with many new obstacles, challenges, hardships, trials, and tribulations. Edward and his family move away from Forks, leaving a devastated Bella behind. In Edward's absence, Bella falls into a deep, dark depression, and must learn how to cope with the painful separation and adapt to a life without her beloved vampire. She seeks help from Jacob Black, her childhood friend from La Push. They become extremely close, best friends, and develop a very special bond. Meanwhile, savage beasts (the werewolves) are spotted in the forests and cause a scare in Forks. Also, to Bella's horror, Victoria is back to avenge the destruction of James, a discovery that becomes quite significant. After Jacob goes through some life-altering changes, a surprising turn of events takes place, and Bella must go to Italy and face the Volturi, the intimidating, powerful clan of royalty in the world of vampires.

Some things I especially liked about New Moon include the following:

● Stephenie Meyer cleverly includes references from the original content in Twilight (Book 1), including some background information and elaborations (certainly appreciated by new readers), as well as explanations, new information and details for her established readers.

-This skill was especially appreciated in Chapter 2 (Stitches), when Carlisle told Bella about Edward’s history, parents, and creation. (Pages 39-41)

● I like how the author incorporates Romeo and Juliet throughout the book, often making references to this timeless Shakespeare play.

-This is first seen on the page following the Contents page:

These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which, as they kiss, consume.

(Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene VI)

-In Chapter 1 (Party), while Edward and Bella watch the play, Edward criticizes Romeo, to the dismay of Bella. (Page 17)

-In Chapter 16 (Paris), Bella ponders the complicated position in which she finds herself, struggling with her impressions of herself (like Juliet), Edward (like Romeo), and Jacob (like Paris), and wonders about their relationships and the best outcome. (Pages 370-371)

-In Chapter 20 (Volterra), Edward quotes the following line from Romeo in the tomb:
Death, that hath sucked the honey of thy breath, hath no power yet upon thy beauty.” (Page 452)

-In the Epilogue (Treaty), Bella remembers what happened to Paris when Romeo came back:
They fight. Paris falls.” (Page 552)
Bella is worried about what will happen between Edward and Jacob.

● Another noteworthy quality is how the author includes the topic of God, heaven, hell, and souls.

-In Chapter 2 (Stitches), Carlisle reassures Bella that, “But never, in the nearly four hundred years now since I was born, have I ever seen anything to make me doubt whether God exists in some form or the other. Not even the refection in the mirror.” (Page 36)

-In Chapter 2 (Stitches), Carlisle reveals Edward’s opinion about heaven and hell to Bella as follows:
“Edward’s with me up to a point. God and heaven exist …and so does hell. But he doesn’t believe there is an afterlife for our kind…You see, he thinks we’ve lost our souls.” (Page 37)

I rate New Moon 4 out of 4 stars. I could not put this book down! I am impressed with Stephenie Meyer’s ability to write a book as compelling as Twilight, but I believe she succeeded. New Moon was very well edited, as I did not notice any typos or spelling/grammatical errors. There were a few usages of profanity, but nothing too offensive. I decided to treat the usage of the term “hell” (in contrast to heaven) and “damned” souls as insignificant. Therefore, the first possible minor profane word may be in Chapter 10 (The Meadow), when Bella says that she decided to go visit Jacob on Saturday, “invitation be damned.” (Page 225)
Another example is in Chapter 22 (Flight), when Bella says that she is the one who “jumped off the damn cliff.” (Page 497)

The only thing I disliked about New Moon is how Bella could even consider the possibility of a romantic relationship with Jacob. I know it makes everything more interesting, but I am Team Edward all the way!

Even though New Moon is targeted to young adults, I believe it would be enjoyed by adults of all ages. It offers an amazing reading experience, filled with romance, adventure, humor, surprises, suspense, trials, and tribulations. Stephenie Meyer has done it again!
pblanks
Currently Reading:

Post by pblanks »

This response is in regard to Eclipse (Twilight Saga: Book 3) by Stephenie Meyer. Like the first 2 books in the Twilight Saga, the author continues to include the elements of inspiration, romance, adventure, humor, and suspense, as well as add many new surprises, twists and turns, never failing the readers. I really enjoyed this book for many reasons, including the ways the author references other popular literature, such as plays by Shakespeare, poetry by Robert Frost, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, Dante’s Inferno, and The Holy Bible. I think of Stephenie Meyer as a literary genius.

Eclipse presents all new challenges and surprises. Seattle faces a murder epidemic, which becomes a little too personal (and too close to home) to Bella, the Cullen family, and the werewolves. Bella struggles with choosing between Edward, her beloved vampire, and Jacob, her best friend. She also has a difficult time facing the decision to become a vampire herself. Many significant events take place, including a trip to Florida to visit her mother, as well as an interesting visit to La Push, where Bella joins Jacob and the pack, along with the Quileute elders, to learn about the tribe’s legends. She also learns the history of how Rosalie and Jasper were created. She experiences high school graduation along with a celebratory party. The werewolves join the Cullen clan in an unlikely, but necessary, alliance related to the Seattle killings. Also worth noting, Edward takes his relationship with Bella to another level.

As mentioned before, I especially like how Stephenie Meyer incorporates many allusions to other familiar pieces of literature, famous characters, and well-known authors throughout this book. Some examples include the following:

● In Chapter 1 (Ultimatum), Edward tells Bella, “I can’t believe you’re reading Wuthering Heights again.” He also says, “The characters are ghastly people who ruin each others’ lives. I don’t know how Heathcliff and Cathy ended up being ranked with couples like Romeo and Juliet or Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. It isn’t a love story, it’s a hate story.” (Page 28)

● In Chapter 2 (Evasion), in response to Charlie’s attempt to have a sex talk with Bella, she thinks, “This was beyond the seventh circle of Hades; even worse was realizing that Edward had known this was coming.” (Page 59)

● In Chapter 11 (Legends), Bella picks up Wuthering Heights and looks at the page that Edward was reading, remembering how he mentioned feeling sympathy for Heathcliff, and sees the following passage:

And there you see the distinction between our feelings:
had he been in my place and I in his, though I hated
him with a hatred that turned my life to gall, I never
would have raised a hand against him. You may look
incredulous, if you please! I never would have banished
him from her society as long as she desired his. The
moment her regard ceased, I would have torn his heart
out, and drank his blood! But, till then- if you
don’t believe me, you don’t know me- till then, I
would have died by inches before I touched a single hair
of his head!
” (Page 266)

- This passage is all too similar to the love triangle between Edward, Bella, and Jacob.

● In Chapter 12 (Time), Edward describes how getting married at eighteen was common during the time period he is from. Bella imagines herself with Edward; both of them dressed accordingly, sitting next to each other on a porch swing. She thinks, “I was just having Anne of Green Gables flashbacks.” (Page 277)

● In Chapter 17 (Alliance), Edward tells Bella about the dynamic connection between Sam and Emily; he says, “Sam really had no choice. It reminds me of A Midsummer Night’s Dream with all the chaos caused by the fairies’ love spells…like magic.” (Page 418)

● In Chapter 22 (Fire and Ice), Bella hurts Jacob and thinks, “I was selfish, I was hurtful. I tortured the ones I loved. I was like Cathy, like Wuthering Heights, only my options were so much better than hers, neither one evil, neither one weak. And here I sat, crying about it, not doing anything productive to make it right. Just like Cathy.” (Page 517)

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Jacob asks Bella, “You know that story in the Bible?” He follows , “The one with the king and the two women fighting over the baby?”
Bella replies, “Sure. King Solomon.”

- The story they are referring to is the test by King Solomon, who told the women he would cut the kid in half, “just to see who would give up their share to protect it.” (Page 598)
- This story is like Edward and Jacob fighting over Bella.

● In Chapter 27 (Needs), Bella and Edward discuss Wuthering Heights; once again, it seems very relatable to their own relationship. Bella reads the following words by Cathy: “‘If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn into a mighty stranger.’”
Edward follows with Heathcliff’s line, “‘I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!’” (Page 611)

● In addition to the previous literary allusions, I’d also like highlight two poems by Robert Frost. The first is shown on the page following the Contents page:

Fire and Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

- Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets, and I can’t help but think of the following poem:

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

- I believe this poem is very applicable to Bella’s situation. She must choose between two roads, between Edward and Jacob. She also must choose between remaining human and becoming a vampire. Some examples in the text include the following:

● In Chapter 12 (Time), Bella struggles with the decision to become immortal. On one hand, she knows it is “the key to staying with Edward forever.” She thinks, “And then there was the fact that I was being hunted by known and unknown parties. I’d rather not sit around, helpless and delicious, waiting for one of them to catch up with me. In theory it all made sense.” On the other hand, she continues, “In practice…being human was all I knew. The future beyond that was a big, dark abyss that I couldn’t know until I leaped into it.” She also fears having to say goodbye to Charlie, Rene, and Jacob. (Page 269)

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Bella mentions that she also fears the physical pain of becoming a vampire. (Page 602)

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Alice tells Bella, “I’m so sorry you have to choose between two good things.” (Page 585)

- I believe Alice’s apology can apply to both of Bella’s big debates: Edward vs. Jacob, immortality vs. mortality.

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Jacob and Bella discuss her future and Jacob tries once again to convince Bella to choose him. He says, “I’m exactly right for you, Bella. It would have been effortless for us- comfortable, easy as breathing. I was the natural path your life would have taken…” (Page 599)

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Bella ponders, “Two futures, two soul mates…too much for any one person.” (Page 599)

● In Chapter 27 (Needs), Bella says, “I’ve chosen my life- now I want to start living it.” (Page 616)

I rate Eclipse 4 out of 4 stars. I believe it is very well written and edited, as I didn’t notice any typos, spelling, or grammatical errors. I did notice some profanity, but nothing too offensive. Some examples include the following:

● In Chapter 6 (Switzerland), Bella spends the night at the Cullen’s house and discovers a bed in Edward’s room. She responds by asking, “What the hell is all this?” (Page 150)

● In Chapter 13 (Newborn), Edward says, “Damn it. Damn Laurent to the deepest pit of hell where he belongs.” (Page 307)

● In Chapter 26 (Ethics), Jacob is talking to Bella and growls, “Well damn!” Then later, he says, “Damn it all.” (Page 593)

Though Eclipse is supposed to be targeted to young adults, I believe it can be enjoyed by adults of all ages. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend it. There is so much that I liked about Eclipse, that, in fact, I cannot think of anything that I disliked. Thank you again, Stephenie Meyer!

:tiphat:
pblanks
Currently Reading:

Post by pblanks »

This review is in regard to Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga: Book 4) by Stephenie Meyer. This book is amazing! It highlights the author’s literary skills and is full of so many surprises! Due to the many significant events that occur, I think it is best to split my review into 2 parts. (This review is in regard to Books 1 & 2). Without giving too much information away, I would like to mention several significant events as follows:
● In Chapter 1 (Engaged), Bella Swan has to adapt to her gifts from Edward Cullen, including a new car, (Mercedes Guardian), new diamond ring, new black credit card, and mysterious acceptance into Dartmouth.
● In Chapter 2 (Long Night), Bella has a dream on the night before her wedding about a beautiful, adorable toddler with light brown curls, round cheeks, and full lips. (Page 36)
- Bella remembers Carlisle’s stories about the immortal children. (Pages 33-35)
● In Chapter 3 (Big Day), Bella and Edward say “I do” and follow their wedding vows with a passionate kiss. (Pages 49-50)
● In Chapter 4 (Gesture), Jacob Black, Bella’s best friend, surprises her with a visit and dance during the wedding reception. (Pages 58-67)
- I especially liked how the author included the following line: “It was just twilight over the river; the ceremony had lasted exactly the rightly amount of time, allowing the sun to set behind the trees. (Page 51)
● In Chapter 5 (Isle Esme), Bella and Edward travel to a secluded island for their honeymoon; Bella joins Edward in the water and they have a night full of passion. “His arms wrapped around me, holding me against him, summer and winter. It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.” (Page 85)
● In Chapter 6 (Distractions), Bella thinks, “My entertainment became the number-one priority on Isle Esme.” (Page 99)
- Edward tries to keep Bella busy, distracted, so that she “wouldn’t continue badgering him about the sex thing.” (Page 99)
● In Chapter 7 (Unexpected), Bella continues to have wild dreams. She makes a shocking discovery, after getting violently ill, a missed menstrual cycle, and a noticeable baby bump; ”The dreams,” I mumbled to myself in a flat voice. “Sleeping so much. The crying. All that food. Oh. Oh. Oh.” (Page 124)
● In Chapter 12 (Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome”), the author alludes to Cinderella, when Jacob mumbles the familiar phrase, “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo.” (Page 237)
● In Chapter 12 (Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome”), Carlisle gives Jacob a very interesting biology lesson; “I thought it meant that our species were almost completely different. Less related that a lion and a house cat. But this new life- well, it suggests that we’re more genetically compatible than I thought.” (Page 236)
● In Chapter 12 (Some People Just Don’t Grasp the Concept of “Unwelcome”), Jacob has an idea, “Wait a minute…Just hold on. Are you- are you talking about making Bella drink blood?” (Page 241)
● In Chapter 13 (Good Thing I’ve Got A Strong Stomach), Bella drinks the blood and says, “I’m okay; it tastes good, too.” (Page 249)
● In Chapter 19 (There Are No Words For This), Jacob references the popular nursery rhyme, Humpty Dumpty, with the following line: “All the king’s horses and all the king’s men…We couldn’t put Bella together again.” (Page 355)
● In Chapter 18 (There Are No Words For This), Bella gives birth to Renesmee (Pages 351-353); Edward attempts to save her with his venom (Pages 354-355); and Jacob imprints! “The gravity of the earth no longer tied me to the place where I stood. It was the baby girl in the blond vampire’s arms that held me here now.” (Page 360)

●There are some usages of profanity that I noticed:
- In Chapter 7 (Unexpected), Bella says, “Damn rancid chicken.” (Page 121).
- The title of Chapter 8 (Waiting For The Damn Fight To Start Already) (Page 145)
- The title of Chapter 9 (Sure As Hell Didn’t See That One Coming) (Page 164)
- In Chapter 10 (Why Didn’t I Just Walk Away? Oh Right, Because I’m An Idiot), Bella talks to Jacob and says, “His name is ‘Shut the hell up.’” (Page 188)
- In Chapter 11 (Good Thing I’ve Got A Strong Stomach), Jacob snarled, “Dammit.” (Page 254)
- In Chapter 16 (Too-Much-Information Alert), Jacob converses with Leah and says, “Hell, maybe I’ll even help.” (Page316)

I rate Breaking Dawn (Book 1 & 2) 4 out of 4 stars. Though this book is targeted to Young Adults, I believe it deserves an audience filled with of adults of all ages. I will definitely recommend Breaking Dawn to my family and friends. It is full of surprises and unprecedented events! I could not put this book down! Stephenie Meyer did not disappoint with her conclusion to the Twilight Saga!
:techie-studyinggray: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
pblanks
Currently Reading:

Post by pblanks »

This review is a follow up to Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga: Book 4) by Stephenie Meyer. I very much enjoyed this book and think it is incredible! It highlights the author’s literary skills and is chock-full of so many surprises! Due to the many significant events that occur, I thought it would be best to split my review into 2 parts. (The first review was in regard to Books 1 & 2; this review is in response to Book 3). Without giving too much information away, I would like to mention several remarkable events, as well as share some passages that highlight the author’s impressive skills in expression. Stephenie Meyer is a master in her ability to include very detailed descriptions of various events and character thoughts.

● In Chapter 19 (Burning), Bella Cullen gives birth to Renesmee, and Edward (Bella's new husband) fills her body with his venom to try and save her. Bella describes it in the following way: “The pain was bewildering…it felt like I was I was being sawed in half, hit by a bus, punched by a prize fighter, trampled by bulls, and submerged in acid, all at the same time.” (Page 369)
- Bella continues to describe it as, “Ripping. Breaking. Agony…Pieces of me shattering, snapping, slicing apart….” (Page 370)
- Bella thinks, “The baby, kicking my ribs apart, breaking her way through me piece by piece. That was nothing. That was floating in a pool of cool water. I’d take it a thousand times. Take it and be grateful. The fire blazed hotter and I wanted to scream. To beg for someone to kill me now, before I lived one more second in this pain.” (Page 376)
- Bella struggles and wishes, “Let me die, let me die, let me die.” (Page377)

● In Chapter 20 (New), Bella awakes as a newborn vampire. She smells new flavors, including the following: “Cinnamon, hyacinth, pear, seawater, rising bread, pine, vanilla, leather, apple, moss, lavender, chocolate…” (Page 388)
- Bella realizes, “I was a newborn vampire. The dry, scorching ache in my throat gave proof to that. And I knew what being a newborn entailed. Human emotions and longings would come back to me later in some form, but I’d accepted that I would not feel them in the beginning. Only thirst. That was the deal, the price. I’d agreed to pay it.” (Page 392)

● In Chapter 23 (Memories), I really like how Stephenie Meyer describes Renesmee falling asleep in Bella’s arms. This author is brilliant in her ability to be so descriptive about something as simple as a baby falling asleep in her mother’s arms. Bella describes, “Her hand fell away from my face as she drifted to sleep- the backs of her eyelids were the pale lavender color of thin clouds before the sunrise. Careful to not disturb her, I lifted that hand back to my skin and held it there curiously. At first there was nothing, and then, after a few minutes, a flickering of colors like a handful of butterflies were scattering from her thoughts.” (Page 469)

● In Chapter 24 (Surprise), Bella recalls, “I stared into the violent dark. There, nestled into a small clearing in the forest, was a tiny stone cottage, lavender gray in the light of the stars. It belonged here so absolutely that it seemed as if it must have grown from the rock, a natural formation. Honeysuckle climbed up one wall like a lattice, winding all the way up and over the thick wooden shingles. Late summer roses bloomed in a handkerchief-sized garden under the dark, deep-set windows. There was a little path of flat stones, amethyst in the night, that led up the quaint arched wooden door.” (Page 475)
- Bella describes her new birthday present in the following ways:
“The cottage room was something from a fairy tale. The floor was a crazy quilt of smooth, flat stones. The low ceiling had long exposed beams that someone as tall as Jacob would surely knock his head on. The walls were warm wood in some places, some mosaics in others. The beehive fireplace in the corner held the remains of a slow flickering fire. It was driftwood burning there- the low flames were blue and green from the salt…It was a place where anyone could believe magic existed. A place where you just expected Snow White to walk right in with her apple in hand, or a unicorn to stop and nibble at the rosebushes.” (Page 479)
- She continues, “Edward had always thought that he belonged to the world of horror stories. Of course, I’d known he was dead wrong. It was obvious that he belonged here. In a fairy tale. And now I was in the story with him.” (Page 479)

● In Chapter 26 (Shiny), Bella thinks, “So this was really different. I was amazing now- to them and to myself. It was like I had been born to be a vampire. The idea made me want to laugh, but it also made me want to sing. I had found my true place in the world, the place I fit, the place I shined.” (Page 524)

●In the concluding chapters, a group of vampires from all over the world, many with their own gifts, join the Cullen family and the wolves for the purpose of witnessing on Renesmee’s behalf. They fear a battle with the Volturi, the powerful Italian clan of royalty in the world of vampires.

The only use of profanity that I noticed was on the final page of Breaking Dawn. Edward and Bella are together, and he says, “Damn it” in response to interrupting her thoughts. (Page 754)
I would like to note that even though this book is targeted to young adults, I believe it should be enjoyed by adults of all ages. It allows the readers an escape to a magical world, while offering important values such as love, romance, family, friendship, inspiration and triumph. With all this in mind, I rate Breaking Dawn (Book 3) 4 out of 4 stars. The only thing I disliked is the fact that this is the final book in the Twilight Saga; I want more!

:tiphat: :techie-studyinggray:
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Now that the prequel has been announced I wonder how many people will be re-reading the series! I know I'm planning on it
xx0xxbrennaxx0xx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by xx0xxbrennaxx0xx »

:lol: :P
So I an absolutely obsessed with Twilight and the rest of the series. I love the movies but the movies left out a lot of what were in the books. The books are a lot more captivating and a lot more detailed into what the actual relationship and the impact of it on both character’s lives are. Midnight sun is going to explain Edward’s point of view which will give fans a more in depth perspective on Edward’s thought process about the girl he loves and how he feels about himself. I am so excited!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

xx0xxbrennaxx0xx wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 14:30 :lol: :P
So I an absolutely obsessed with Twilight and the rest of the series. I love the movies but the movies left out a lot of what were in the books. The books are a lot more captivating and a lot more detailed into what the actual relationship and the impact of it on both character’s lives are. Midnight sun is going to explain Edward’s point of view which will give fans a more in depth perspective on Edward’s thought process about the girl he loves and how he feels about himself. I am so excited!
Have you read the prequel yet? :D
Leigh__k
Currently Reading: His Dark Materials
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leigh-k.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Leigh__k »

I enjoyed the books because they are well written and her description is impeccable. I found my self following her every words.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”