Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NehaN
Bookshelf Size: 0

WOW

Post by NehaN »

These books were amazing! I read all three books in three days and could not put them down. I am so excited for Breaking Dawn. I have heard that this is the final book, but does anyone know if there are going to be more in the series? Also, I must say I am a fan of Edward and Bella all the way.

PS. Does anyone know is Host by Stephenie Meyer is as good as these books were?
deasy

Post by deasy »

I can definitely say I am a big fan of the series. At first, I was really hesitant about reading a vampire book but when I read it, it was really good. I thought I could really relate to Bella (except her clumsiness and such) and just the fantasy of being the damsel in distress while your prince comes and rescues you...

I just finished re-reading Twilight and I was a little dissappointed at the simple plot and and overuse of Edward's godlike face, as Syrcco44 mentioned. By the end of the book, it made me roll my eyes quite a bit. But I'm still a big fan of Twilight.

I'm very VERY excited for the fourth book. Don't do it, Bella! ;D

As for The Host, it is a pretty good book. I couldn't put it down. The beginning is a little shaky, but the latter part is good. It's in first person view again. I actually went to her The Host tour event and got The Host and two twilight books signed ^_^ One of the Highlights of my year so far!
Tainted

Post by Tainted »

I greatly enjoyed The Host... When I saw it in the bookstore I didn't even bother to read the summary.
I took it home having not a clue of what it was about...

Like deasy said, it IS a little unstable at the start, but after the first few chapters I couldn't put it down.

As for the Twilight series.. they are amazing. Although I think I'm going to be disappointed with the movie coming out....
newspeak

Post by newspeak »

I think Jacob is actually the most relatable character. Some people say he is a jerk, but I think he is an honest depiction man in pain. I think Edward is just a little too perfect, but what Meyer has done with these two characters is juxtapose ideal and real love. This explains the emergence of the Jacob lovers and the Edward lovers. Usually (I'm generalizing here) Edward lovers haven't experienced a real relationship so Edward is the image of the ideal boyfriend. That is why they feel so betrayed when Bella begins to fall for Jacob. You never give up on your first love. Jacob, on the other hand, is all too real. He is angry and tempermental and doesn't always make the right decision. He also hot and awkard and passionate. More preferrable, IMO.
deasy

Post by deasy »

newspeak wrote:I think Jacob is actually the most relatable character. Some people say he is a jerk, but I think he is an honest depiction man in pain. I think Edward is just a little too perfect, but what Meyer has done with these two characters is juxtapose ideal and real love. This explains the emergence of the Jacob lovers and the Edward lovers. Usually (I'm generalizing here) Edward lovers haven't experienced a real relationship so Edward is the image of the ideal boyfriend. That is why they feel so betrayed when Bella begins to fall for Jacob. You never give up on your first love. Jacob, on the other hand, is all too real. He is angry and tempermental and doesn't always make the right decision. He also hot and awkard and passionate. More preferrable, IMO.
Wow, that's a pretty good theory! I'm in love with Edward, but it could be because, as you've said, I haven't experienced that first love. But you're right. Jacob is real and therefore too real for readers, perhaps?

Eclipse is perhaps the best book of the three, followed by Twilight, because the dilemma is between two great guys, and not just one - as in Twilight is Edward, New Moon is Jacob.

But the readers are usually hopeless romantics here right? lol. They usually root for Edward ^_^
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I fell in love with these books. I have no idea why! At first, I thought that they were just another teen book that was full of drama and stupid stuff that would make me sick, but I thought that I'd give it a try. I read the first one and immediatly connected with Edward's character and Bella's as well. Its not because Edward is this perfect, beautiful, and classy vampire, its because he's just so...so...so caring. It really sparked my interestand I'm sorry to those of you who didn't find it as good as I did.
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
Katarina

Post by Katarina »

OH, I love this forum :) I though I was the only one who thinks that Twilight stories need more depth in them.

First of all I must say that I read all three books less then a week. :roll: I couldn't put them down. After every book I finished I felt disappointment. They were too shallow and predictable! Even I didn't need a lot of effort to read them in english (it's not my nativelanguage).

"Twilight" - I loved the first half of the book. Though I would have wanted more descriptions and thoughts etc... When the tracker appeared it all went down hill. I expect that kind of storyline from some Hollywood crap not a book! It was all SO predictable!!! I knew EXACTLY whats going to happen. Why trouble to write it?An the end - give me a break! Another movie ending. Shallow!

"New Moon" - I'm an Edward fan, ofcourse but in some point I thought it would make great ending when Bella would stay with Jacob, be as happy as she can be and still never forget Edward. I would love to see that kind of "misarable" ending. It would be more like true life. And again, the second part of the book ruined everything! Italy "trip" was totally waste of time and paper. The end was far more better than the first books one.

"Eclipse" - In some points I like third book the most. On the other hand...Jacob was annoying but not as annoying as Bella. I almost started to hate her. And now when I have read the first chapter of "Breaking Dawn" I find her even more annoying! I can't stand her whining about the wedding.

So, I like those books. I'm going to read the 4th, too. And I can understand how unhumanly caring, beautiful and perfect Edward makes all to fall in love with the books. Still I have only one word for Twilight Saga - SHALLOW!!!!
newspeak

Post by newspeak »

I think too many people feel like they have to make excuses for certain things. Something doesn't have to be deep to be enjoyable.
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

I agree with the overhead response. The Twilight series may not be necessarily deep, but they are moving to a certain degree. Well, for me at least.
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
Katarina

Post by Katarina »

newspeak wrote:I think too many people feel like they have to make excuses for certain things. Something doesn't have to be deep to be enjoyable.
I know - thats exactly how I feel. Silly me!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I just finished The Host, and I have to say I like this one better than her vampire series. Most people I have spoken to thought the beginning was slow, and then picked up in the middle, but I am odd girl out on this one. I enjoyed the beginning, and had to push a bit through the middle. Most people are also more loyal to the vampire series as well. Meyer's is still an optimist, and if you like the vampire series, you will probably enjoy The Host as well.
Linda

Post by Linda »

i read all the books. and i liked them all. i have never read a book about a vampire and usually read books not intended for teens but i dont care if the books weren't "mature" or whatever else. I never realized that people actually spent their time looking for complex plot structures in teen fiction. I feel like people dissecting books and always looking for deeper meanings and morals or metaphors really ruins books that are supposed to just be entertaining.

oh and Edward all the way...Bella needs to change fast because i want to know if she'll have a gift like each of the Cullen kids....she must...clearly not knowing is killing me!

oh and i have nothing against jacob, jacob's cool too...its just in all the books he was repeatedly mentioned to be too young and i don't like the idea of bella being a cradle robber...even if jacob has morphed into a huge manly werewolf.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Yeah i really liked all the characters, and how each one of them was different from the other with their unique abilities in the vampire family. It is very well-written, I could actually consider all of them moving in front of me as I was reading the book.
ajmiller99
Favorite Book: Gone with the Wind
Currently Reading: Safe Harbor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmiller99.html

Post by ajmiller99 »

I have read all 4 and absolutely loved them! I'm not usually into vampires and werewolves, but liked the direction this series took to "humanize" them. I read these at the same time as my 12 year old son and I'm sure that contributed to my pleasure in them, because we had plenty of in depth discussions about the book and after we finished the series, went to see all of the movies together. As always, the books are much better than the movies and I didn't care much for Kristen Stewart as Bella.
One concern I would have is for younger children to read them, there is some inappropriate (sexual) content in the last couple of books that made me think twice about my son reading them, although he is pretty mature for his age, but something for other parents to consider.

-- 30 Oct 2014, 12:46 --
Linda wrote:i read all the books. and i liked them all. i have never read a book about a vampire and usually read books not intended for teens but i dont care if the books weren't "mature" or whatever else. I never realized that people actually spent their time looking for complex plot structures in teen fiction. I feel like people dissecting books and always looking for deeper meanings and morals or metaphors really ruins books that are supposed to just be entertaining.

oh and Edward all the way...Bella needs to change fast because i want to know if she'll have a gift like each of the Cullen kids....she must...clearly not knowing is killing me!

oh and i have nothing against jacob, jacob's cool too...its just in all the books he was repeatedly mentioned to be too young and i don't like the idea of bella being a cradle robber...even if jacob has morphed into a huge manly werewolf.
I completely agree!!!! I read books for the pleasure of the story, not looking for compound-complex sentence structures or anything crazy like that :) Only thing that annoys me in reading a book is if there are a lot of unintended grammatical errors and misspellings, it takes me out of the zone a little bit.

Also, EDWARD! In Love
K_Kaori
Currently Reading: The Saltwater Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-kaori.html

Post by K_Kaori »

I think people who like reading fantasy stories will be more keen on reading the whole series. I am one of them! Although I have read only Breaking Dawn because I was curious to find out the story after watching the movie based on the book Eclipse.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”