Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 0

Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Post by Syrcco44 »

ohmyword! I cannot believe no one has made theses books into a new topic! So. I am. :D

So this topic is for discussing the amazing writings by Stephenie Meyer - Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn (or book 4), Midnight Sun...
And everything in it!

If case you're kind of speechless on the matter (I understand)...
Which character do you relate to most and why?
What is your opinion of Jacob? of Edward? Who do you think Bella should pick?
Do you like vampires or werewolves better? Which character scared you the most? Why?
Anything to say on the Cullens - Alice, Jasper, Rosalie, Emmett, Esme, Carlise, Edward...?
Have any good quotes? Are there any songs out there that so remind you of any aspect of the Twilight saga?

Well... don't just sit there... WRITE!!!
have fun :)
Last edited by Syrcco44 on 28 Mar 2008, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

The books are well written and good, but they seem really immature to me. There is no character changes and no deeper meaning to them. I'll admit that I have read them all and am looking forward to the fourth, but there is not much depth to them and so I can't respect them as a great work of literature.
SeoulChild

Post by SeoulChild »

They're okay! I didn't completely hate Twilight...but I stopped after New Moon. My best friend is in love with the series though...Maybe I'll drag her one here to justify why it's so great lol!!
awelker

Post by awelker »

i love this series. i can't wait for the fourth one to come out this summer. It works out that it is coming out when I will be done with the summer semester so I can catch up on my reading during that month break and work and make some moolah!
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

I really enjoyed these books personally. I got so engulfed in the first one that I actually left the house with the flu to go get the second one. I'm very picky about vampire books and this one aced my list.
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

twilight didnt really reach my expectations and i thought it was a little...ick...boring? plain. too much description made it sound trashy and I hate to say it - immature.
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

CassieXO wrote:The books are well written and good, but they seem really immature to me. There is no character changes and no deeper meaning to them. I'll admit that I have read them all and am looking forward to the fourth, but there is not much depth to them and so I can't respect them as a great work of literature.
Very..very well put :) And I feel pretty much the same, I wouldn't classify these as "a great work of literature."...but they're enjoyable :)
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

Not to be a pain in the rear here but they ARE classified as teen fiction. Not really intended to be uber mature.
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
SeoulChild

Post by SeoulChild »

I'm not ragging on the series because it's teen fiction....the first book was tolerable even. But seriously I just couldn't enjoy the second book at all; the main character was so annoying!!

I think the series starting with A Great and Terrible Beauty (then Rebel Angels) is a wayy better sample of teen fiction anyway.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

maybe its just one of those agree to disagree topics, b/c i couldn't get into libba brey really.... :?
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

SeoulChild wrote:I'm not ragging on the series because it's teen fiction....the first book was tolerable even. But seriously I just couldn't enjoy the second book at all; the main character was so annoying!!

I think the series starting with A Great and Terrible Beauty (then Rebel Angels) is a wayy better sample of teen fiction anyway.

I was actually going to say the same thing.

I feel as if I like teen fiction - its one of my guilty pleasures, but there's good teen fiction and then there's 'i wrote the same thing at 12 and then threw it in the bin at age 13' -

in my not-so-humble opinion, a great and terrible beauty= good teen fiction

twilight (the first book, i havent read the others - feel free to pick me up on this and advocate that the others in the series as 'FAR better')= something i couldve written in an hour and didn't edit the entire work or develop the characters.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, for sure. ;)
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
blushingmilk

Post by blushingmilk »

perksofbeingme wrote:Not to be a pain in the rear here but they ARE classified as teen fiction. Not really intended to be uber mature.

Can i just say that when i say they weren't mature I was comparing them to good teen novels...not literary classics, so really, stephenie meyer should be able to aim a bit higher to reach the standard (again, not a personal attack, i just feel highly opinionated about this genre because along with childrens books, is really what helps teens to understand who they are and be inspired, or subject themselves to mindless rot).
*~ C. S. Lewis
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Star wrote:
CassieXO wrote:The books are well written and good, but they seem really immature to me. There is no character changes and no deeper meaning to them. I'll admit that I have read them all and am looking forward to the fourth, but there is not much depth to them and so I can't respect them as a great work of literature.
Very..very well put :) And I feel pretty much the same, I wouldn't classify these as "a great work of literature."...but they're enjoyable :)
Yeah, I think you have a valid argument. I did notice that the book didn't really have much of a plot or conflict until about the middle part. New Moon dragged a little bit, and knowing Jacob wasn't even worth it because he turned out to be a jerkface in Eclipse. Sometimes I think that Edward's beautifulness was stressed a little too much - but then, Bella's not used to being noticed by people - especially those like the Cullens. I think that the characters have made the book memorable - they seem quite believable - well maybe not Edward and people - but many can realte to Bella. I am looking forward to the fourth book, like y'all, but I'm not one of those excessively annoying squealing girls who say "ohmygosh!! Edward is like so hot!! I love him so much more than Bella!" ....rrrr! This annoys me that the books are so popular. The movie won't help either. *sigh*
RoWLvr

Post by RoWLvr »

I actually enjoyed Twilight, but I haven't started on New Moon just yet. I can understand the arguments in some of the previous posts though. My favorite character is obviously Edward....Bella doesn't have to be sooo fragile and clumsy. I just want to throw her off of a cliff, but of course one of those vamps will be there to pick her up before she hits the ground...humph! I'm waiting for a little bit more excitement. I've been away from teen novels for awhile so I'm not sure how far they will go intimately. I'll keep reading just for that!
nicoleraephotos

Post by nicoleraephotos »

I just finished the first one and found it just okay. The storyline definitely had me hooked but I was able to finish it in about 3 days with very little effort. I realize it's a book for teenagers but there wasn't a lot of depth. I do want to read the next one tho - gotta give it a chance!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”