Twilight: Few things I thought about after reading the book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carcrafter7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carcrafter7 »

Since I can't post urls because I'm to new someone post the video on youtube were the nostalgia critic talks about how Bella is the number one dumb ass in distress. I can't believe teenage girls actually look up to her. Thats right girls if your high school boyfriend leaves you try killing yourself by jumping off cliffs and into the water bellow just so you can hear his voice.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

Atinosh wrote:If you are wise and intelligent you will realise that the post was not about her writing one bit as much as it was about two characters and a plot that draws great parallel to real life scenarios (in terms of why people fall in and out of love).How did this become about the book, the movie or the writing?

All I think I did was justify my post about the characters.. Nothing otherwise

I rest my case
Alright then, let us analyze how closely it "paralells" real life situations. Now, let us look at the situation in it's original form, omitting, of course, the elements of fantasy contained within in the text. Alright so, a boy meets a girl, and, due to an intense physical attraction, fall instantly in love. The girl discovers that his boyfriend , though he insists he is dangerous, he the sweetest boy she has ever met, and she wants to stay together with him forever. Then something bad happens, and the boy leaves the girl because he thinks he is dangerous. She, after months of intense despair for her loss, meets another boy who she also falls in love with. However, in her love for the previous boy, she begins seeing him whenever she does anything dangerous(becuase of course, the girl is completely plain and utterly danger prone, making her extremely attractive) her undying love for the boy causes her to see his face, and, upon her discovery that the new boy has become something different, leaps off a cliff in order to once again see her beloveds face, who, learning incorrectly of his girlfriends death, attempts to kill himself. They get back together and want to get married, so they do, have a baby to which the later boy happens to love, and they all live happily ever after.

Now, I may be mistaken, but that doesn't strike me as a particularly relaistic scenario outside of the slut community, and it almost definitely is not something I would aspire to be part of. If you honestly think this is realistic, you need to get your head out of the romantic drivel spawned by the brainless destitues of the media and perhaps look at qualities beyond the physical, becuase if you honestly think that the relationship between Bella and Edward is love, I pity you.
Simworm
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Simworm »

In my opinion, Bella and Edward's relationship was never meant to draw a parallel to the real world but to be shown straight up as a fantasy. I think maybe Meyer wanted to show a realistic relationship through Jacob and Bella.
"Oh, tis love that makes the world go round" - Lewis Carroll
Paprika47

Post by Paprika47 »

AMEN SOPHIUS.

The issue here (for me at least) was not the attraction that was just assumed rather than developed, nor the writing style - though that was pretty bad: it was a depiction of a girl so completely without strength of character that she becomes alluring to the main two male protagonists as well as the main cast? I'm sorry but the fact that a woman is writing this simply reminds me of other cases in history where women were beaten down by their own sex due to "upsetting the home". The interesting thing is that whereas at that time it was men that propagated this idealised weakness - now it is women. It is now a role model - something that is becoming a little too ingrained in our culture.

It is as realistic as you want it to be - the whole obsessive love that can be found more usually amongst teenagers but adults too as well as having strong physical attraction for more than one person - yeah, this happens. But such an absence of character is found rarely - and that very quality being attractive to most is more rare still.
Texansfan

Post by Texansfan »

Wow, things got kinda crazy on this post. Perhaps Sophius is a closet Twilight lover and hates her/himself for it. Sounds like it to me but then again, I am not as giddy over the Twilight series as most others on here. It was alright. I found Bella to be appallingly annoying and I won't even start on Jacob. Like most of my friends, we took the series for what it was worth, light reading after long days at brain-busting jobs. No, Stephanie Meyer is not the be all end all of writing, no she is not a literary genius but she did manage to present a product at just the right time to just the right person so kudos to her for that. I applaud you Atinosh for giving up on the argument with Sophius, clearly a complete loser who attempts to hide behind his/her perceived intelligence and superiority. Remember Soph, there is always somebody smarter and more well read than you. Get over yourself.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Sophius wrote:I lose hope for humanity whenever I see feeble attempts to portray twilight as literary feat and attribute intellectual themes to a story which states only heavily media hyped superficialities and would have us believe that ones physical traits are the pinnacle of human worth, as the topic author so sickly condones. Despite what you and the countless others may believe, romance(aka sex) is not the meaning of life, and physical traits are utterly insignificant when compared to things far more important.
I agree. I was, I think, fourteen when the first book was published and while I thought we were a bit old for pre-teen books, most of the girls in my class disagreed and I sat through many a solo talk on the series.

I don't like to think I'd police my children's reading, but if I were older and had a teenage daughter, I wouldn't be thrilled with her reading this sort of stuff. I think it sends a very anti-feminist message to girls; like Stephen King said 'Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend'...and quite besides the sexist undertones, it's not very well written
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

When the people reading and raving about Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" mature and grow in life and love, they will see that it is a standard series of novels which fill a temporary niche. There's better books out there to read. Eventually they will expand their literary horizons. Or one hopes they will.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:When the people reading and raving about Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" mature and grow in life and love, they will see that it is a standard series of novels which fill a temporary niche. There's better books out there to read. Eventually they will expand their literary horizons. Or one hopes they will.....
You said it Maud ... as with the Mills & Boon generation :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Francine

Post by Francine »

Hello
I agree with you because this will contain very good standards things that are very helpful for a particular person.
Thanks
Regards
Francine
Regards
Francine

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”