Mockingjay & Hunger Games Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vogin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Mockingjay & Hunger Games Series

Post by Vogin »

Greetings fellow bookworms,
so I've recently finished the Hunger Games series and... I believe if the series had just 2 books (or if it wasn't a series at all), it would have been for the better.

Katniss just turned into a unbearable girl kissing one guy here and the other one there... I don't know whether it was more intended for girls or whatever, but I also had time to guess how'll the plot go, for example SPOILER ALERT, HIGHLIGHT THE TEXT TO SEE IT I knew for sure that Katniss will shoot that female president instead of Snow. END OF SPOILER
Steeleholls

Post by Steeleholls »

I thoroughly enjoyed the series. However, the first one was the best, as with most trilogies. I like how the ending was realistic, but also romantic without breaking my heart. I do agree that all the kissing was annoying and while I liked the character of Katniss, I think that she was sometimes flaky, but this also added to the idea of reality for me. I liked the fact that the main character was by no means perfect. I was also saddened by some of the deaths. (Since I can't do the thing that you did with spoilers I won't say the names.) Overall I really liked all the books and I think that I would have been longing for a more complete ending if she didn't do the other books. =D
Steeleholls
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

First of all, the spoiler thing is easy, just highlight the text you're writing in the posting window and directly above it, there's a "Font colour" option - just select white and that's it :)

And second, I think we can be happy it ended with Mockingjay and hadn't dragged on for more books because I'm afraid it would only get worse and worse.
Steeleholls

Post by Steeleholls »

Thanks for the font color info, I can now write spoilers!! :D But I was happy with how she ended it. And was glad that she wrote more cause the story wasn't really about the hunger games in the arena, but the hunger games the capitol played outside the arena. I hope the movie is done well and reflects the book. I can't wait to see it!
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

I just finished Mockingjay last Saturday and I was really disappointed. It was thrilling that the story is steadily approaching to the climax, which is Katniss and President Snow's face-off. But, for obvious reason, the thrill plummeted.

Here is my reaction after I had finished the book. Just forgive the grammar and composition. I like to keep it raw.
Not to mention, how does Katniss gets the energy despite the sleepless nights. It doesn't make sense. Also, it is stupid to send Katniss in the mission when you a whole fleet of hover craft or 12 district to fight the capitol. It is infuriating that Katniss, after some adventure, just got knocked out and woke up in the hospital and narrate the whole thing. (C'mon Collins that happened in Book 1 and Book 2!. You can't feed us with the same trick now and then.) Also, WTH, the mystery is not solved. Is Katniss have gone hysterical? Killing Snow? and It was without reason! No background. Since when did this book became a mystery? Grrrr! I hate that I have to set aside my whole saturday and end up getting disappointed at 11:30pm! Man!!!!!!) Please I need to read some FANFIC story. Besides the last few chapters seems like OUT OF CHARACTER. It seems like Collins is not the one writing. It became so abstract. Damn!!!!
At least, Catching fire is a better sequel.
troxelkr

Post by troxelkr »

Aww, I had such high hopes for this series. The first book was absolutely breathe taking. Her overall character development in the first book was great and the storyline was wonderful. However, the second book I thought left so much to be desired at the end. And the third....even worse so. To me there was no true climax at the end of the series. The main "commotion" was skipped over at the end as well. However, the one thing I will say it that I loved the ending as well, in terms of who she ends up with. It was a realistic, but romantic ending. Still, this story would have been served better in two parts, or just one really long book.
fitzharrisk

Post by fitzharrisk »

I fell in love with this series. Katniss was a supreme example to young girls that personal choices effect those you love the most. I didn't percieve her as a frivilous girl kissing this boy and this boy. It was a much more sincere, and intense situation. I would recommend this series to all ages. It is thought-provoking and honest. Not like Twilight, but more political. Suzanne Collins definetley had a message to send young generations. And I applaud her for not holding back a graphic nature for readers.
MichelleIsenhoff
Favorite Author: Avi
Favorite Book: LOR
fav_author_id: 5091

Post by MichelleIsenhoff »

This series glued my butt to my couch. I read them all in like ten days. There were some elements I didn't like, and I didn't care for Mockingjay as much as the other two, and I saw the end coming too, and I saw her choice of men coming in the second book, but overall, I enjoyed it. I wrote up reviews for all three on my YA blog, Bookworm Blather.
BookWormGirl92
Favorite Author: L.J. Smith
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl92.html

Post by BookWormGirl92 »

This is by far my favorite read in the series. I love the bitter sweet taste it gives while not everyone has a happy ending. I hate it when every book I read everyone gets their happy ending. Don't get me wrong I do like happy endings it's just refreshing now and then that I find a book that isn't all that happy for everyone in the end.
CMRingh
Currently Reading: Johnny Fracture
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmringh.html
Latest Review: "Johnny Fracture" by Waheed Ibne Musa

Post by CMRingh »

Vogin, I agree. The first was the best by a landslide. Perhaps the author felt pressured to perform and churn out the subsequent volumes too quickly? Whatever the cause the quality suffered by the end, in my opinion. Also, I feel your frustration on the trilogy's romantic element. I have found this to be a common vice of countless works of fiction, YA novels in particular- THE DREADED UNCONFORTABLE FORCED ROMANCE! Even worse and all too common, the love triangle. Isn't it enough that the poor girl has to fight to the death? I think that especially in these action driven, dystopian spectacles there is enough going on that an awkward and underdeveloped teenage relationship is unnecessary and distracting.
Latest Review: "Johnny Fracture" by Waheed Ibne Musa
maryleebooks
Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryleebooks.html
fav_author_id: 4823

Post by maryleebooks »

I was more disappointed in her sisters ending. I don't think that needed to happen.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”