The Witching Hour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cleanplate
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cleanplate »

I'll plan this better next week. I'll post a thread on the View Mb to get us started.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Hey guys. Sorry I missed it tonight. I haven't been feeling very good. :( So happy there are emoticons here. I love how much detail Anne Rice gives. It almost makes you feel like you're there. That's why I love her writing so much. I don't want to spoil anything but I can't wait for everyone else to get to the part about the history of the Mayfair witches. It's so interesting. (I'm only on chapter 4 but I've read it before). Hopefully I can join you guys next week. :D
Auntiecyn3

Post by Auntiecyn3 »

Clean, thank you for doing this. I love this book. I read it years ago but the opening of it is as exciting to me now as it was then.. I love that old house and those characters. Michael is such a suffering soul that you feel sorry for him while at the same time envying him his psychic gifts. I feel Rice more in this series than I did in the early vampire novels. That has some good points and some that are questionable. More on that later.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

I don't know if I like this series more than the vampire one. I love the character Lestat so much that it has made me completely devoted to the series.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Hello everyone.Thanks for all the input. I can tell this book will make for interesting conversation. We're off to Maine today. We'll be back on Satrday. hope everyone has a great week! :D
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Now I'm not sure if this is actually posting or not. So let's consider this a test to discuss The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.
I give these readers a big 10/10 for a certain amount of cheeky style!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Hehe Thank you Maude.

Btw guys made it past chapter three, anyone get there or past yet?

What do you think?
Kathyvt

Post by Kathyvt »

I'm about 15 pages into chapter 4. I think the pace will start to pick up a bit here. I did enjoy rereading the first 3 chapters, they sort of set the atmosphere of the story. You go from the garden section of New Orleans, which is hot, brooding, almost sort of haunted, to a bustling San Francisco, the town which never quits, never stops moving. As I'm reading it, bits and pieces of it are coming back to me from previous readings, but I really don't remember alot of the finer details, so it's still an enjoyable read. (Don't you hate it when you start a book that you think you've never read, only to know exactly what is going to happen next, and later find out that you read it 5 years ago, lol).
I had kind of forgotten that it takes so long to get into the actual story, or maybe I'm just impatient because I LOVE the part dedicated to the Mayfair Witches. That won't arrive for a bit yet, but the story of Rowan and Michael is good enough to hold my interest till that time.
Happy reading everybody!
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

In Chapter Three, Father Mattingly, to me, he seems like he knows more than he "should"....yet doesn't really say it.

Does that seem odd or am I just looking into things weird? lol
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

I totally agree godiva. Can't put my finger on it yet but he is definitely hiding something.

I'm on chapter four now but last night I was reading Chapter 3 alone in the dark and I have to admit I got a little spooked. lol

did you mean Father Lafferty or Mattingly?
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Oh, I don't have my ereader on me at the moment.

It's in chapter three and he recalls something to himself about a character who can do things but then says something out loud to not give himself away of this thoughts, like "did I give away too much?"

I should get my ereader back from my car in a bit heh.

But that just seemed fishy, like there was more about him obviously.

Anyway, nice to see everyone here, hope more can make it!
Randimcnulty

Post by Randimcnulty »

Its so funny I found this forum as I just read the Anne Rice Witch Chronicles for the third time last month!!! I love these books, I think anyone who has not read them will love them!! Sometimes Anne Rice has a hard time getting right into the story and ads a little too much detail but I love them. The Witching Hour is just amazing and with Michael and him dealing with this gift he has been given is just amazing to try to figure out why it was given to him, of course he has his own thoughts on this matter, but who knows who is right!!
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Well, I just got back from Maine today & thought I'd check out The View MB. No surprise, but I was logged out...not my doing. When I re-registered I wrote down all the info just in case. It doesn't matter though because that stupid message board is telling me my new password is not valid. It's so frustrating! I'll sign back in tomorrow......

Any how, I've got to say I'm loving this book! Rowan Mayfair's character is just as intriguing as Micheal Curry's. I kind of think I know where this is going, bt I might just be surprised.
JoanJowee

Post by JoanJowee »

I'm somewhat embarrased, because I'm not really enjoying this book so far, but I will continue to read. I just don't get where the story is...or rather when it starts.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

JoanJowee, though I am enjoying the book I understand where you are coming from. The story skips around a lot which makes it difficult to follow sometimes. There are also a lot of characters in this story, especially in the Mayfair family, which makes it hard to follow the lineage . I find myself going back to past chapters to remind myself who is who in the Mayfair family. With that being said, the description of the characters and background make you feel as if you are there and know the people in depth. I am now at part two of the book. I'm excited about this Chapter b/c I think this is the point things will start to come together and make more since as a whole. Micheal is about to read the entire history of the Mayfair Witches.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”