The Witching Hour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
D00dlebugs78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

No Fran you are not intruding at all! I appreciate any help I can get. I'm just sorry I keep filling up this thread with my computer problems.

yes I have clicked on that b/c right now it says to click to stop watching this topic.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Can anyone tell me if I'm Ad on The View MB? I can't post because the site is saying I'm logged of even though I didn't log out. I'm going to try to log back on, but it never works & then I have to register again..... :?
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

I'll check for you Clean

Okay, just checked. You are not AD. But I think you must have already figured that out. lol It logged me out today too.

How far along are you guys in the book? Can't wait for our discussion tomorrow :)
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I reading about Deborah right now. I knew that lasher went far back, but my gosh he has a hold on the Mayfair women doesn't he! Talamasca is facinating. If Micheal wasn't in love with Rowan he'd be perfect for that organization.

Usually when I try to log back in the MB tells me my name is already registered to someone else. Today it let me back on....go figure! I never log out either, but the MB is not that well moderated any way.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

MB is not that well moderated any way.
That is an understatement clean. lol

Yes Lasher goes waaaay back.
You are definitely on point with your statements but I will leave it at that. lol
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

How could Lasher have caused Deborah's husband to fall? What did he have to gian if it meant deborah would be burned as a witch because of his actions? Was he done with her & ready to move on to Charlotte?
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Clean,
Lasher caused the fall because he knew about the affairs and thought he was "helping Deborah." At that time he was a very new spirit or entity brought about by Suzanne. It is said later on that he develops and gains knowledge with time, just as we do. I think may be he was just naive as to the consequences of his actions. That's my opinion of it right now, anyway. But great question.

I'm wondering if we will ever know if Pyter is Charlotte's Father. I mean there were no DNA tests back then so I guess we have to draw our own conclusions but I think he is.

What page are you on now Clean?
Ceebee62

Post by Ceebee62 »

Evening Everyone -- just wanted to pop in to say hi and see how everyone was enjoying the book. I'm into chapter 17 now, getting answers to some questions and developing more.

Don't know where everyone else is in the book so I don't want to reveal too much but some parts have made me cringe.

I'll try and check back in later tonight after husband goes to bed. Night for now :)
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Hi Ceebee I'm beginning Chapter 15. I'm excited to see what will happen when Petyr meets Charlotte and the introduction of Lasher to her.

Ceebee
Don't know where everyone else is in the book so I don't want to reveal too much but some parts have made me cringe.

Me too! Petyr's feelings toward Deborah when she was so young and the detailed description of the horrible burnings of the witches.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I just finished reading chapter 14 & when the author described Charlotte I knew Petyr had to be her father. Petyr reminds me a lot of Micheal. It's like history repeating itself. they're both learned men who are well suited to the talamasca, but both men are/were deeply in love with mayfair women. They're both are very moral men with high standards & yet are willing to do anything to make right the wrong done to these women. Petyre said killing Lanier was like doing justice for all those women who had been burned at the stake for witchcraft througout Europe. I know that the church was very threatened by women who could heal or women who had any supernatural powers. The church was a male dominated institution. Women were not ordained & did not hold any sort of rank within the church.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

You are right Clean the church has certainly come along way but they have always been very "male dominate". I think it was a combination of being threatened by power as well as the amount of money they had. Did the jewels and money go to the church after their deaths?

.....I also have to say as a Christian, revisiting the Witch burnings, corruption, and abuse of power by these Churches disturbs me in a huge way. To think that these people used religion for their own gain is so sickening!
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Was this book written before Anne Rice returned to the catholic faith? Some of the things she wrote in this novel about the women who were burned as witches is very disturbing. I'm sure this is a very accurate account of what happened. Those women were tortured & put to death in such a painful way. I can't imagine being burned alive. The church was very sadistic & cruel if you ask me.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

I'm not sure of her background Clean, I will have to read up on that. Yes, I remember reading about the Salem Witch trials in school and some of the torture was more cruel than what even Anne describes. Horrifying! I can't think of a worse way to die!

hate to bring my beliefs into the subject but I am also not Catholic just to put that out there.

okay just read a little on Anne's return to the Catholic Church. On Wikipedia it says that she returned to the Church in 1998 after being in a coma and nearly dying from Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 also........

Her return did not come with a full embrace of the Church's stances on social issues; Rice remains a vocal supporter of equality for gay men and lesbians (including marriage rights), as well as abortion rights and birth control.[44] Rice has written extensively on these matters. In October, 2005, while promoting her book, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, she announced in Newsweek that she would now use her life and talent of writing to glorify her belief in God, but did not renounce her earlier works.
also from wiki

I didn't realize it would let me copy and paste till now so let me add to that her return to the church description.....

Rice returned to the Catholic Church in 1998 after decades of describing herself as an "atheist." On December 14, 1998, Rice went into a coma, nearly dying, and was diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus type 1.[38][39] Rice is a brittle diabetic and insulin-dependent.[40] In 2003, following the recommendation of her husband and shortly after his death, Rice underwent gastric bypass surgery and shed 103 pounds.[41][42]
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I know for certain that Anne Rice left the Catholic church last year but still is a Christian. I know I read why she left & as a former catholic I agree 100% with what she said. The church needs to come in to the 21st century. We have to see ourselves as always evolving spiritually. The church needs to be in sycn with the world today & it doesn't always do that. Any how, this book is fiction with a healhy dose of history thrown in for good measure.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Lol I should have scrolled down further Clean I read that part and didn't finish you are right .....

On July 29, 2010, Rice publicly renounced her dedication to her Roman Catholic faith, while remaining committed to Christ, on her Facebook page:

"For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."[61]

there is a lot more but this gives the basics

and I also agree with her reasons for leaving the Catholic Church

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”