The Witching Hour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cleanplate
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cleanplate »

I'm with you jd.......The other Mb is full of craziness. Julie, tots,spring & Andy (just to name a few) are hateful bigoted people who hurl insults & cannot handle anyone who disagrees with there twisted slant on things. I really love this book club. It's nice to get away from the nastiness on the other MB. Maybe we can come up with a viable solution.
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Sounds good JD I know how to start one but I am not up for it to be honest.

I will look for a mod board like this but just for everyone's topics.

When I can I will come up with a list and you guys can go look when you aren't in the mood to fight with the vmb.

That reminds me, when someone does go to the VMB, I do not feel like going tonight or maybe tomorrow (I am not sure yet), Weimy asked "Submitted by Weimy Mommie 27/07/2011 03:23 pm PDT

BTW Have you seen Rango (JDepp Movie)?My grandson(6) wants to watch it and I was not sure if it is age appropriate."

Can you please tell her there is no profanity, there is intense action, it is a kids movie but there are many references for adults including Chinatown, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Although it is animated, if you are just looking for a kiddie movie, this is more for 7 and up maybe then small ones and also for adults. But if you don't mind the references and intense action, then its ok.

Or tell her to come on over, we don't bite. :P

I am not sure I will be on the vmb today or tomorrow. I think if I get triggered, I will not be a positive poster. I had someone close my myself and my family who is 14 yrs old hang himself with a dog leash. I got the call Wed night on vacation and spent all day yesterday and today in pediatric ICU watching someone who is like a brother to myself and my siblings (and was my brother's best friend) basically be attached and breath through machines.

I have always been one that if there was a glimmer of hope then fight your way back but there was just a shell and he was gone. It's seriously sad he is only 14. My family and his immediate have been in the room just waiting and waiting, and nothing. They cut off life support tonight. His mom passed at and then had to hospitalize her, my mom had to get a shot of Atavan (sp?) and my siblings and I just kinda held each other. I need some kind of distraction but I don't think the vmb would help me, it has become very hateful. I know I have added to that in the past but in general I am not like that. I think grief+ plus that mb would be a bad idea atm.

Sorry to ramble, I just feel empty and overwhelmed at the same time.

On a different note, I did finish many chapters when in the waiting room wanting some silence.

Ok see you all, and go hug your families. They are important.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I am so sorry for your loss Godiva. I don't know what to say except that you're in my prayers. The VMB is probably not a place you want to be today. You don't need any more stress in your life right now. There are days when that VMB becomes toxic & I find myself less patient with certain posters because of their hate & bigotry. Any way...please take care of yourself & wrap your arms tightly around those who are dearest to you. God bless.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Oh Godiva I'm so sorry. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Hi all.

Thanks for your sweet thoughts and kind words. Yeah I really don't think I will be around till Tuesday afternoon.

Service was today and Funeral tomorrow and I am just drained.

I will catch up when I can and thanks for your thoughts.

-Godiva
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Godiva, I am so sorry! I will be praying for you and all the family. Take care and know that we are thinking of you.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Ok I'm halfway through 24. I'm going to get off here and finish the chapter in a few minutes. I'm having one of my bad days so I'm hoping I'll be able to concentrate. My doctor wants me to have a check up every 2 weeks because he considers my pregnancy high risk but the only time I ever feel bad is the day after I go to the darn checkup. :roll:
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Oh, JD I hope you are feeling better too! Soon you will deliver:P I just hope you won't go through much pain.

Chapter 24 for me, I felt really sad for Rowan. It was a coming home in a way (even though it was a funeral parlor) but at the same time, when they all explain who they are, must be somewhat overwhelming to think on things she has missed out on and things she never knew.

I just finished the end of chapter 25 and Aaron's summary of her and the Mayfair Witches.

I think he seemed pretty accurate and there were some things in there that led me into Rowan's loneliness as a child and how she suppressed her powers a bit to try and not be so odd.

But in the end she became someone masterful. I also think he was right in what he said about Deidre and Ellie in his perceptions. In his own way, I think he may really admire Rowan and right now his intentions may be wanting to know more and more about this family and its potential. But.....for what? Just to write about it and document for the Talamasca?
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Hi Jdlovr07 hope you are feeling better
>>>>>>>>>>

I read up to Chapter 25 (not through). So Godiva when you said you read past Chapter 25 I didn't read the rest of your post. Don't want to spoil anything for myself.

I found myself with tears running down my cheeks during the funeral. But I was so gad that someone told Rowan that her Mother didn't want to give her up.

As for that emerald, I am still confused by it. Does it hold any power on its own?

I have more questions but I will be back later. ...
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Oh my post just covers up to the end of 25 and showed Aaron's summation letter to the Tamasca. Don't worry I won't post spoilers! :P

Up to this point, in all the chapters I have read, although I love the chemistry and connection between Rowan and Michael, my favorite chapter/point of view was Rita Mae.

One of the saddest parts was reading (earlier in the book) about how Graham had taken Rowan to bed. That was sad, he was to be her family (adoptive, but still).

Yes it was sad reading the funeral part, but it was good when they told her all that and introduced who they were and what they would have been in a way if she had not been given up.

As far as the emerald necklace, I think we will find out soon but I know its passed down the line of chosen witches. I know it is somehow linked to Lasher.

Reading more tonight!
Last edited by Gfilm on 02 Aug 2011, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Thank Godiva and Doodle! I'm feeling better now. Just a little tired.
--

Doodle I'm also wondering what the deal is with the emerald. Is it just symbolic or does it have some special power?

I'm wondering what the Talamasca wants. Why are they collecting all this information on the Mayfairs? I'm not buying it's just for scholarly observation.

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure we're going to get the answers the several of our questions in this book. I'm familiar with Rice's work and since I know there are 2 more books after this I have a feeling we're going to be left with more questions than answers. That being said I hope I'm wrong. I hate it when things end with unanswered questions.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I'm not quite through chapter 23. This book is so detailed I have to stop so I can take it all in...& keeping the Mayfair geneology straight is very challenging.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

I totally understand Clean. It is very hard to keep up with who is who. I continually go back to past chapters. I have to give it to Anne though, she is a pure genius. I don't know how in the world she keeps all her characters straight.

Jdlovr07 when are you due?

Godiva I will have to go back and read about Rita again. I can't remember lol

Wonder where Ceebee is. Haven't heard from her in a while. Hope she's doing Okay.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I do think that Lasher makes the emerald come back even if it is lost or thrown away...I think jd was asking about that. Now I'm questioning Cortland's motives in regards to Deidre. he wants Aaron to not contact her, but I'm wondering what his intentions are. I don't want to go there....however, it wouldn't be the 1st time a Mayfair woman has had a child by a close family member. What does everyone think about Cortland now? He's so not like his father.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Clean Cortland is not what he seems.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

....and for what purpose does Lasher bring it back? I mean does it have power or is it just a reminder of him?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”