The Witching Hour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ceebee62
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ceebee62 »

Good point Clean -- Michael and Petyr are alike in many ways. I wonder if Michael is related to Petyr? There seems to be a lot of family connections.

I think Michael received or realized his powers to help Rowan destroy Lasher and break this family curse. He's meant to "see" something about Lasher.

It's confusing at this point in the book as they're talking about all the generations and whose related to who, who received the necklace next, etc. I keep thinking in the back of my mind, do I need to remember this? Will this person be of importance in the future? You know what I mean?

Then I think back to the beginning of the book, why didn't the aunts let Deirdre be normal? Why did they keep her in a drug induced state? Did Lasher do something prior to Deirdre's time so bad that they (the family) figured out he was pure evil? Is that why Rowan was adopted and told never to go back?

So many questions ......
Auntiecyn3

Post by Auntiecyn3 »

As a recovering Catholic I'm glad Anne has once again left the church. I didn't enjoy her writing after her return. I love her early writings.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Hey guys. Sorry I missed tonight but I thought I was having a baby... I didn't obviously since I'm here. Lol.

I had never realized it before but you guys are right Michael and Pyter are a lot alike. As the book goes on there are some pretty disturbing parts. I don't want to say too much because I don't know where everyone is. I've noticed a lot of people saying that. I bet our conversations get better when everyone finishes the book and we can all go into more detail. I don't remember what chapter I'm in but it's still in the Mayfair history. I'm in the years around 1920.

I like Anne's writing better before she returned to the catholic church too. I didn't like her Christ books at all. She writes in such a gothic style that it didn't really fit with what she was writing about.
Ceebee62

Post by Ceebee62 »

Good morning -- this is my first Anne Rice book so I really can't comment on her works before or after her leaving the catholic faith. As a former catholic myself, I completely understand her reasons for leaving. Many of those issues are why my family and I left. My sister-in-law was recently ordained in the universal unitarian church. It embraces all faiths and life styles and I feel most at home there.

Was thinking about this overnight (answering my own questions LOL) -- the reason the aunts kept Diedra in a drug induced state and had Rowan adopted was because they wanted to get rid of Lasher. They wanted to break the cycle/curse. But then why wouldn't they ask for help from the Talamasca (spelling)? I'm sure they know of them. You would think that they would welcome the help.

Hope everyone has a great day -- I'll try and check in later tonight :D

PS Good Luck Jdlovr07! Is this your first?
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Jdlovr07 Congratulations on the new Baby you are about to have! lol

I read some of Chapter 15 last night and Jdlovr you are right! Very disturbing! I had to put the book down b/c I got so disgusted. Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting past these past few Chapters. I was right with you last night about Pyter being like Micheal until I read more of Chapter 15. I lost all respect for Pyter. Is anyone else having as hard of a time with this as I am?
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Thanks doodlebug! Lol.
---
Yeah it gets pretty disturbing and from what I can tell it stays that way. The Mayfair's are one screwed up family. I'm not convinced the aunts kept Deirdre drugged to help her. There had to be better ways to get rid of Lasher. When you guys get to where I am you'll understand what I'm trying to say. Lol. I think the one aunt, Carlotta, is kind of evil.
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Be back home from a small vaca tomorrow, I have read much but still kinda lagging on some of the reading.

I am not convinced they drugged her to try and get rid of lasher also btw.

But that is an unconventional family also so you never know heh.
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

Do you think Deidre was drugged to keep her from trying to find Rowan? I mean she never wanted to give her away.

......and no one wants Rowan in New Orleans or near the family. I think partly b/c of the inheritance.
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

Doodle from what I can about one of the aunts... Carlotta, I think she just likes to have control of everything. Maybe Deirdre wasn't coorporating with her plans. IDK. I haven't gotten that far yet. :) I don't remember much about this book from when I've read it before. I do know there's a bit of a cliff hanger ending so I'm probably going to want to read the second one when I get done with this one.
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

I know this has nothing to do with the book club ceebee, but I've been to 2 services & a funeral at a UU church & I felt very much at home there too. I'm also a recovering Catholic, so Anne Rice's reasons for leaving the RC church really resonated with me. I've been working a lot of Sundays, but I'm thinking I might go to a UU service this weekend as I'm not scheduled to work. I'll read chapter 15 tonight. It would be great if we could all read up to chp 25 by next Tuesday. Talk to you soon.
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

I can do that up to that chapter by next Tues. :P
D00dlebugs78

Post by D00dlebugs78 »

I am pushing myself through this Chapter 15. If I can get past all this repulsive history, I think can get to Chapter 25 by next Tuesday.
I like the idea of a Chapter deadline.
Ceebee62

Post by Ceebee62 »

Sounds great clean -- chapter 25 by next Tuesday. That way we'll all be able to discuss without giving "secrets" away for others. :D

I would like to say it gets better doodle, but it doesn't. At least they don't go into all the details like Petry and Charlotte -- cringe cringe cringe

Have a great evening everyone :D
Cleanplate

Post by Cleanplate »

Chapter 15 was in one word disturbing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Petyre crossed the line as did Charlotte. I don't know how Anne Rice managed to get this down on paper. I do think that a gifted writer like Ms Rice has to be fearless & not afraid to step out over the edge when telling a story. As unsettling as this portion of the book is, it was necessary so that we might understand the Mayfair women & their history.

I'm happy to hear that we're all on board with the deadline! I'll probably post something here every day & I hope we can ask Q"S or make comments as we move along. :D
Jdlovr07

Post by Jdlovr07 »

I love the idea of a chapter deadline! I'm on board.

Chapter 15 is disturbing but I get why Rice did it.
-
-
-
-
So it wouldn't let me post another thing untill someone else posted so I'm just going to edit this one. Things on the VMB have been really crazy lately with all the spamming and deleting... I mean it's getting outrageous. I'm thinking that we should start another board somewhere else and bring a bunch of the people over. Some place that's set up better. Maybe something like this with the different emoticons and stuff. To be honest the only reason I'm still on the VMB is because I like talking to a lot of the people. I would do it myself but I don't have the first idea on how to start a message board. What do you guys think?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”