Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gobberz1990
Favorite Author: Harry Turtledove
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Ratlines by Stuart Neville
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gobberz1990.html

Re: 1984

Post by Gobberz1990 »

Personally, I prefer Animal Farm which as you may know, is a huge critique of Stalin and his Soviet Union. In many ways, 1984 is also a critique of this but, in many ways describes a world where communism has been completed in many areas of Europe but, the World seems to be in perpetual war and the sides seem oddly, to be interchangeable. Why knowbody questions this in the book is beyond me but then, it is a world that has complete control over its people. The book is well written and mirrors a world that all dictators have at one point, aimed to reach - total dominance over its population and indeed, the world. The ending of the book is not how I would have expected but then, it doesn't have to be.

An all-round good book that has intrigue, love, entrapment and someone in a dictatorial world with an inkling on how to question the system.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I read this book a while ago and I will probably end up reading it again sometime. It is a book everyone should read in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

This is one of my favorite books. People look at me funny when I say I love 1984 because it's dark, but that isn't the point. You get a lot of political books that have really weird premises or don't bother much with the story and the experience of the reader, but Orwell's narrative is what I find really compelling about this book. There's the whole Big Brother thing, but there's also the love affair, which is political but is also integrated flawlessly with the rest of the story. Details like Julia's background and the paperweight and Orwell's vivid descriptions in general make this book stand out for me. I've also recently thought more about the idea of incarceration and what that means in the novel. I think this book will never cease to be relevant and important, like Fahrenheit 451. I think Orwell is also very clear about his message, and manages to make even reading the Brotherhood's political book engaging. Too many fantastic quotations to list, as well. Julia and Winston's relationship is one of the best worst relationships in literature. This novel is doubleplusgood (sorry, couldn't resist).
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
sicsempertyrannis93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicsempertyrannis93.html

Post by sicsempertyrannis93 »

1984 is one of those books that becomes more and more relevant each and everyday. One of the aspects found in the book that applies to American society in particular is the use of media to shape and control public opinion. I remember when news organizations did not have public opinions. Long ago, all the time that was needed to broadcast the newest stories was one hour a day and that was it. Today, news programs are broadcast 24 HOURS A DAY. These programs are bursting at the seam with "experts" who shove their opinions down the throats of others and antagonize them for not agreeing with them. Now let me throw some numbers at you. Just by doing a quick Google search (the irony just struck me as I typed this), 99% of Americans own at least one television. Does this sound familiar? Another well known statistic is that only six corporations control over 90% of the American media. Of course this is not quite as boot shaking and knee buckling as the brainwashing in 1984, but in principle it is the same concept. NEARLY EVERYTHING THAT YOU SEE ON TELEVISION IS CONTROLLED BY ONLY SIX CORPORATIONS. Let this sink in for a moment. It is safe to assume that the majority of Americans acquire their opinion on public issues from watching the news on television, which is controlled by only a handful of corporations who do not have the average viewer's best interest at heart, but rather the best interest of the media executive elite. Suddenly "news" becomes indoctrination, and the most frightening part is that the average American viewer has no idea what is happening behind the curtains.
Buttercup0325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercup0325.html

Post by Buttercup0325 »

We're reading this book for my book club this week, I'm really happy I found this, you guys helped me find so many topics and discussion points!
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I remember this being an assigned reading book in my junior year of high school. I was never one to like to be told what to do, so had I picked this book out on my own I probably would have really enjoyed it from the start as it falls in direct line with the style of writing that I enjoy, but making it required made it distasteful to me. However I read the book because I always completed my assignments whether I wanted to or not, but once I got through about two thirds of the way through with the book, I read three simple lines that made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

It's in the tenth chapter of the second part where Winston and Julia have just finished making love in their secret apartment. I did not find anything interesting in this scene because to me it was just like two teenagers sneaking around behind their parent's back. This is something that was the topic of conversation at every table in the cafeteria no matter the clique of kids the table happened to occupy. But then there were these words:

"'We are the dead.' he said.
'We are the dead,' echoed Julia dutifully.
You are the dead.' said an iron voice behind them."

I vividly remember sitting back down on the edge of my bed and letting out a "Whoa" and suddenly becoming very interested in the book. I then chuckled at the next like that said "Winston's entrails seemed to have turned to ice." The combination of the hilarity of frozen entrails and the creepy iron voice telling them they were dead from behind a picture frame demanded of me to start the book over.

While the beginning seemed to lag to me, and there is a lot of repetition about policy and the monotony of life, I was really jarred that this very well could be a depiction of the types of censorship we could experience in the future. And the just weeks ago it feels like Big Brother materialized from the pages of Orwell's book and into the mainstream media in the form of the new Facebook messenger. I am sure apps like this have existed since all of our technology has begun to advance, but this one has been chosen as the poster child. Maybe Big Brother has decided it is time to start watching us, or maybe still, just like with Winston and Julia, Big Brother has been watching all along, he was just always hiding underneath the other side of our screen.

Pretty crazy that they chose to have the voice come out from behind a screen isn't it? Since it seems we all live our lives in front of or hid behind screens at all times these days. Just something to think about.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I love this book and can't believe some people don't find it relevant in our times! The society in the book is overtly oppressed, but the point is that people willingly allow themselves to be out in this condition. Brainwashing can be covert, too...
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I love 1984! I think Orwell had an amazing way of telling two stories at once. I often think back to the book when I read about new developments in technology, especially with unauthorized surveillance and the expansion of visibility into our lives made possible through the internet. An excellent book, indeed! I also highly recommend Animal Farm!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

Fabulous book! What scares me at how relevant it is today and he wrote it back in the 40's. My family thinks I'm crazy to compare these days to a book but from what I learned in a course in college is that the ideas had to come from somewhere when they were writing them. He didn't just get it out of thin air.
ROBBIESMOMMY
Favorite Author: Jessica Beck
Favorite Book: A Miracle for Miriam

Post by ROBBIESMOMMY »

The novel 1984 by George Orwell is one truly deserving of praise. A novel depicting the at the time fears of communism by providing the reading public with a "painting" of a true dystopian society: Oceania. This picture of a truly unfavorable future is the exact message Orwell tries to convey in his book. His portrayal of a somewhat rebellious main character shows the dangers of a government too controlling, any consequences it could have, and what people feel under that influence.
The book, being written after WWII focuses on the dangers of extreme communism, and it does a marvelous job at conveying its anti-communist message. One simply can't say that this book is one of the books that fails at carrying out its designed message, or that the author is one that is new to this topic. As with the novel Animal Farm, George Orwell successfully provides us as readers with dramatic plot developments, dynamic characters, unforgettable settings, and a sense of intellectuality that not most authors are capable of delivering. The novel is centered on the character of Winston Smith, a member of the controlling government party controlling Oceania (Future UK), although he is not high ranking. From the beginning Winston is shown to be more adventurous and rebellious than most of the members of the party, engaging in acts with prostitutes, visiting old world antique stores, even purchasing the at the time illegal Journals to write his OWN thoughts in, an act considered one of the most dangerous in the government. As the party begins to prepare for Hate Week (A holiday where they "celebrate" their hatred for their enemies), Winston is captivated by the beauty of a young woman, who unbeknown to him shares those feelings. The two secretly begin exchanging messages, which lead to a full blown sexual rebellion against the party.
Their relationship furthers, his acts plunge him deeper into rebellious acts against a totalitarian government, and it shows no sign of stopping, and just when it seemed to be at the peak of rebellion, Winston meets a man by the name of O'Brien, who introduces him to the dark world of The Brotherhood, the anti party entity that goes against everything he's been taught. Treason with a side of sexual betrayal. Will Winston escape from his rebellious actions, or will he live to suffer the consequences? Unfortunately, I am only a reviewer, it's up to you as a reader to choose weather it peeks your interest.
All in all, George Orwell succeeds once again at showing the downsides of improper governmental control, and gives us a greatly captivating story to boot. Once you start you won't be able to stop. Five Stars!
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I definitely agree that "1984" is relevant to what is happening in the world today. I mean when we all have phones with GPS and the ability to know our every move just how far away is big brother? Hmmm...
RussellM

Post by RussellM »

One of my all time favorite books and I think it's still very relevant today. I believe a lot of laws in place today go too far and influence too much control over the average citizen. Whether it's limiting soft drink sizes or schools censoring certain books, I think the theme of this book is really interesting. I've read it numerous times and I find myself relating to it and understanding it better every time. I definitely recommend reading it.
[irenecunningham]93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irenecunningham-93.html

Post by [irenecunningham]93 »

I think 1984 is a powerful piece. Often times, I only read a book once. But 1984, I have read five times. I have read it for fun, I have read it for class projects and discussions. Books like this speak powerful messages about humanity. It certainly made me question, what should the government be responsible for and how far can you trust an organization? It is a delicate line between trusting individuals to govern themselves and to help others, and entrusting a third party with power to help or destroy civilization.

I thought it was interesting, that while people in 1984 were totally dominated-that there were still areas of woods left and that they were encouraged to exercise. Doesn't it seem like those are risky things to allow?
Blackbeez
Favorite Author: V.C. Andrews
Favorite Book: Candles Burning by Tabitha King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackbeez.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fav_author_id: 2869

Post by Blackbeez »

I find this book to be way more influential today than it was when it was written. I always wondered what influenced Orwell to write 1984, was it World War II, the upcoming Cold War? Why did he choose the year 1984? He was definitely influenced by the political propaganda at the time because it shows up in the book repeatedly. So much so, that I actually can visualize the Third Reich type government saturating their people with propaganda.
Between the propaganda and the brainwashing that Orwell addresses I think he was right on in predicting the future from his immediate surroundings. I have never thought this book was some sort of Utopian novel but more of a warning of what was to come within our society.
In 1984 we see the citizens divided against each other and saturated with pro-government propaganda. Not unlike today no? We also see that the propaganda is used in brainwashing techniques similar to the marketing techniques of today. Flash the word "Pepsi" in front of people a million times while they are having fun watching a foot ball game and BAM! You want a Pepsi and it's fun to want the Pepsi. I've always thought Orwell meant for 1984 to be more of a warning than a science fiction novel.
Reading 1984 actually made me wonder what I would do under those circumstances since our society stays so close to the surface of this book anyway and it always leads me to join the Proles. That is where I would go, but why do the brainwashed people stay in their totalitarian governments and not go be free with the Proles? Besides the brainwashing factor, I think Orwell also leads us into the realm of "like-minded" thinking. The mob mentality. No one who has been uplifted by the war effort or political gain (in the book) wants to be considered an "uneducated Prole".. they stay in their horrible positions so they are not "cast out" or in 1984's case, tortured into thinking the right way like Winston.
There is also the language factor that can be addressed. If you take away a cultures language, you take away their education system, you take away their ability to understand what is going on and chaos is created. When the very individuals who removed the language give it back, it now means something totally different. For example in 1984, the normal English language is converted to doublespeak and News speak... if a court reporter was not an influential subject, then Orwell had an absolute vision of the future where our language was concerned when you look at it next to the new texting and email languages. I mean really, how far off is IDK LOL, TTYL from Crimestop oldthink, upsub?
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree" - Martin Luther
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Michael_hayden
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-hayden.html

Post by Michael_hayden »

I read this for the first time over the Christmas period. It was my first foray into the world of Orwell, and I was gripped, captivated, and more than a little disturbed by how I was forced to imagine myself in that dystopian society. The story doesn't matter so much as the idea, it shines a light on all of humanity's worst faults by painting them large, in plain sight, all in one place.

It'll probably be a while before I read it again, but it has left an impression on me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”