'The Reader' by Bernard Schlink

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Puglove
Bookshelf Size: 0

'The Reader' by Bernard Schlink

Post by Puglove »

'The Reader' took a few twists and turns...Towards the middle we see Hanna standing trial. Some moral issues are raised. For anyone that has read the book-- What was your take on the moral issues raised and can you relate to how Hanna and the other gaurds conducted themselves? And what did you think about Michael?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Puglove wrote:'The Reader' took a few twists and turns...Towards the middle we see Hanna standing trial. Some moral issues are raised. For anyone that has read the book-- What was your take on the moral issues raised and can you relate to how Hanna and the other gaurds conducted themselves? And what did you think about Michael?
The Reader is an absolutely fascinating book IMO ... I have a long standing interest in the Nazi period and especially the way otherwise average German citizens got caught up in or dragged into being part of such a despicable regimé & the far reaching impact on the lives of the post-war generation. The relationship between Michael & Hanna is beautifully written, both their early relationship and it's development and the older Michael's renewed relationship with Hannan probably 25yrs later & in very different circumstances.

Can I relate to how Hanna & the other guards conducted themselves .. without meaning to be flippant of course I can't never having been in those situations & I can only thank God for that. People generally will take whatever course of action protects themselves at any given time ... the instinct for self preservation is strong.
I thought it was an absolutely rivetting twist that Hanna preferred being condemned to admitting the truth, incredible sadness in that IMO. I also think the book is a superb expose of the tangled ramifications of war and the difficulty in gleaning facts especially when raw emotion is involved. I am also of the opinion that Hanna, like so may Germans in the post war period, carried a burden of guilt and however irrationally felt she was deserving of punishment.

A brilliant book & if I may say so a superb movie adaptation. I do regret not have read the book before watching the movie but I remember coming out of the cinema & I couldn't wait to get to the bookstore to get my hands on the book.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Puglove

Post by Puglove »

Very much looking forward to watching the movie!
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

We watched the movie with my GF like a year ago, at the end she ran out of tissues and even I "had something in my eye". I'm a great supported of any story which shows that war isn't actually some glorific, heroic event to celebrate, but it rather brings despair and terrible deeds upon regular folk.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

I personally loved this book. I loved the openness to his innocence at the beginning of their relationship, and how he sort of kept that innocence through the book. How the smallest things she did fascinated him with her. Like finding something so erotic just by watching her remove her stockings. How he wanted to be with her all the time, have her all to himself, yet still keep that childishness of keeping her secret and still going behind her back on some aspects, even though he thought he loved her. Like she was the brink between adulthood and childhood. I loved the innocence how, even after all of the years without seeing her or knowing where she was, seeing her on trial still worried him, fascinated him, and he still felt saddened for her at the same time even after hearing what she had done. It seemed like the most mature part of their relationship. He finally knew things about her, and still found himself fascinated by her, even in horrible things she had done. Still wanted to protect her. Still wanted to know her, even after all those years. Still wanted some part of her, but i dont believe it was by lust or love really. I think it was confusion, the need to understand, and the fascination that what he had found out about her wasnt what he had expected. In alot of ways love is like that. You can see that happening. As for the movie, i loved Kate Winslet for playing Hanna's part.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Kathy0814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy0814.html

Post by Kathy0814 »

I found the book, 'The Reader', a bit disturbing for a number of reasons. One reason is just the concept of an adult being sexual with an adolescent; is uncomfortable and wrong. One had to continue reading to get to the real gist of the story. I think it was well written with the characters drawn well.
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

Personally, I think that even though this novel challenges the known ideas of the Holocaust, it forces us to see the other side of the spectrum. The novel is shaped to prove that there are shades of grey to every situation and a person can’t be judged, sentenced, and written off as easily as we believe. Michael battles with his guilt and shame throughout the novel since he feels an incessant need to condemn his parents for their turning a blind eye to the perpetrators in their midst. However, later on, it is obvious that Michael does not fully belong to the second generation since he is unable to condemn Hanna. It was an excellent book and it's stayed with me over the years.
heather ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-ahern.html

Post by heather ahern »

"The Reader" is a beautiful read that shows an untold side of war (no spoiler alert here!). The romance that blooms between the main character and the young man who reads to her is well told in great details - the touches, the undressing, the hunger for his words is a telling story of a woman trying to redeem her wrongs of the world. She struggles with her past and how to make amends for her sins but isn't sure how to make this happen and this story brings us along on her journey.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”