Bangs and Whimpers: Stories About the End of the World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kawi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Bangs and Whimpers: Stories About the End of the World

Post by Kawi »

hello all!
I have a question thats driving me wild. i can understand what makes a 200$ bottle of scotch worth 200$, and i can understand what makes a vintage car -which even though is outdated- worth such large amounts of money. However i am at such an incredible loss as to why this book Bangs and Whimpers has such a high price tag on it? 375$ for a new hard cover?

Im clearly missing something, and ive never had so much difficulty coming up with an answer to such a simple question.

Hoping someone could inform me? i have a feeling this question will make me look mildly uneducated if its an obvious answer!

Thanks in advance !
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Kawi wrote:However i am at such an incredible loss as to why this book Bangs and Whimpers has such a high price tag on it? 375$ for a new hard cover?
It helps to give a bit of background, e.g. "Bangs and Whimpers - Stories About the End of the World", an anthology of stories published in 1999 and edited by James Frenkel which contains such authors as Robert A Heinlein, Philip K Dick, Neil Gaiman and Arthur C Clarke. You are looking at the top end of the market for your hardback copy. Allowing for the exchange rate, I think it would have to be a signed first edition at that price.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Mlp

Post by Mlp »

It's that expensive because it's rare - very hard to find.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Its a shame some of those books have to be so expensive, I bought a book called Beggars of Life by Jim Tully in 1955, its the autobiography of a hobo. I paid 10 cents for it in an used book store from a pile of discount books in a box. I lost the book in one of my moves over the years and last year I went to Alibris, Amazon places like that and I found a copy at Alibris for 1800 dollars. Way out of my league.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”