4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ResonantAleph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Four Classics

Post by ResonantAleph »

I've read and enjoyed both "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and "Fahrenheit 451" (I'm quite a fan of dystopia). I've read "Of Mice and Men" but only after "East of Eden" which, to put it bluntly, left it in the dust. Salinger's been in my library for quite some time but I've never taken the time to start it (Isn't that really the most time consuming part?). I'll be sure to look into it.
“Bring something incomprehensible into the world!”
―Gilles Deleuze
Sheila
Favorite Author: Impossible to pick
Favorite Book: Gone With The Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sheila »

East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck book, everyone seems to forget next Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath, but in my opinion it was best work
avidreader40

Post by avidreader40 »

All great reads and all books HS students are forced to read :lol: As for Catcher in the Rye I didn't really appreciate how amazing it is until years later.
Ribaldo

Post by Ribaldo »

Inkling wrote:All four books were among my "required reading" list in my early High School days; as were other such notable titles Brave New World, Animal Farm, The Chocolate War, We, and Lord of the Flies.
Way to go to the teacher who got that to be required reading. It's the 1984/Brave New World before either existed.
When tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle-beetle-puddle-paddle-battle. ~ Dr. Seuss
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

If you like George Orwell, Animal Farm is a must-read.
jebraun

Post by jebraun »

I recently re-read both Catcher in the Rye and 1984. Unfortunately, for me, Catcher didn't hold up in a second read through (with at least a decade gap between reading) - I don't know, it just fell flat. 1984, on the other hand, was better the second time through. I would put Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut up here, Atlas Shrugged by Rand, and at least one Faulkner novel - for me it could be any one (The Sound and the Fury gets overdone - but Intruder in the Dust, As I Lay Dying and countless others are excellent).
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

Sheila wrote:East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck book, everyone seems to forget next Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath, but in my opinion it was best work
I totally agree. I have never read Grapes of Wrath though, and I didn't care for Of Mice and Men really...
GWA

Post by GWA »

Salinger is a genius but his best novel is ‘Franny and Zooey’, Orwell is brilliant as well, but for me ‘Down and out in Paris’ is his best work, Bradbury speaks for himself (and his short stories are incredible; anyone remember the one about the old man and his lawn being cut?), and for some strange reason Steinbeck has never made my list, so off to the library to meet him it is!

GWA.
:D

PS: Vonnegut should definitely be included in the list of greats, but his book should be 'Breakfast of champions'!
bestcorp

Post by bestcorp »

All of these books were read in my highschool days and I must say, they were incredibly enjoyable, every single one of them. Great list and definitely a must read for those seeking some great books.
jv08

Post by jv08 »

I may say that these are four great books. Should definitely a must read.
Gen

Post by Gen »

Ugh, I found The Catcher in the Rye to be highly overrated. I didn't even enjoy it when I read it back in high school, when you're supposed to identify with it the most, or so it seems. As stated above, it's all up to the person reading the novel. Still, I do agree with the rest of the list and I thank my AP English teachers for assigning those books.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hello.

The only book of the four originally listed I've read is 1984 - love it. I have Fahrenheit 451 and while I don't have Of Mice and Men I do have The Grapes of Wrath (placed #17 and #34 respectively on my To Read bookshelf.

Whenever I remember to jot down "Salinger" prior to heading out for a new haul of books I'll be sure to get Catcher.

Here is one that I would include on my list: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Is this book to be placed on the short list for the title of Most Important American Book? I don't consider it as such in terms of having inspired other books, or writers, or for its telling a compelling story, but instead for the non-literary ramifications of the book.

Regardless, I found it a heckuva story.
tarnish

Post by tarnish »

not a fan of 1984 too weird
iselin

Post by iselin »

mice and men are one the best books on the planet. Thank you so much for sharing:)
NateRiver

Post by NateRiver »

Of Mice and Men seemed ridiculously cliché if you ask me. The others hold their value, but I don't quite view them as classics...

Mandatory High School reads seems more applicable...

Books like Crime and Punishment on the other hand...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”