4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shellyb
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Currently Reading: The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by shellyb »

bit early for Halloween!
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing
lucy_3

Post by lucy_3 »

Out of those four, which are all indeed fantastic books within their own right, I have to say, I adore 'Of Mice & Men'. It is such a beautiful and humbling book.Written simply and oh so well. I would urge anyone that hasn't read it, to do so immediately.
Daffers
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daffers.html
Latest Review: "Past Wives" by Kelly McIntosh

Post by Daffers »

I tried to read Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager and didn't associate with it all. At the time I felt that it was because I was not an American and there was little I could identify with. Life in England in the Sixties had a very strong identity of its own and it was like visiting another planet. And a less interesting one, at that ...
Latest Review: "Past Wives" by Kelly McIntosh
vincere92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vincere92.html

Post by vincere92 »

I have not read any of the books on this list, but want to and definitely will in the near future. Thank you!
njgomez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njgomez.html

Post by njgomez »

All are amazing!!!
reluctantreader

Post by reluctantreader »

martaacosa wrote:Finding good books to read for Halloween does not need to be difficult. To help you out, we have a list of some great classics for all ages.

------------
Why would you need to find books to read at Halloween?

-- 05 Jul 2013, 14:12 --

I think that Tess of the D'urbervilles should be on the list of classic books.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I'm ashamed to say I have only read Nineteen Eighty-Four. It's one of my favourites, it really is scary to think this is the way the world could eventually be heading. I must read the other three books at some point in the future!
marla+duke

Post by marla+duke »

I think I'm also one of those few people out there who haven't read The Catcher in the Rye--or at least, if I read it I don't remember reading it and I think that's impossible since it seems to be quite memorable, so chances are I've never read it. It so happens we do own a copy so I have no more excuses for ignoring it.

1984--had to read it in 8th? grade and wasn't impressed by it. I was quite the immature kid so I didn't really have an appreciation for it and the fact that it was required reading made it all that more uninteresting. It's going on my list.

Fahrenheit 451--We own a copy and it's been on my list of books to read but keeps getting bumped further down the list. Time to move it back up.

Of Mice and Men--I picked this up somewhere in high school and since it's such a small novel, I read it. Well, I LOVED the story. I remember the shock at the end and just sitting there trying to make sense of what had just occurred and it was like a fog clearing. There could've been no other ending...beautiful tragic story. Also, LOVE the very well-done movie with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. I watch it whenever I happen to come across it on TV.
FMChandler
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmchandler.html
Latest Review: "Dream Walkin'" by Colleen McLain

Post by FMChandler »

I have to agree all really good books even if they aren't my usual taste.
Latest Review: "Dream Walkin'" by Colleen McLain
Kali06

Post by Kali06 »

I loved Catcher in the Rye, so fantastically effortless.
lolafrancis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolafrancis.html

Post by lolafrancis »

I was glad to see that one of my favorite American authors is on your list. While "Of Mice and Men" is a wonderful read, I preferred, "The Winter of Our Discontent". Steinbeck has so many great ones from which to choose.

Lola
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Only read 1984 out of the four listed. Though, for me Classic list is incomplete without at least one by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I have read his two books, Idiot and Crime and Punishment and both were awesome, even better than Tolstoy much talked about War and Peace
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
jeoihon

Post by jeoihon »

Though the "Catcher in the Rye" is theoretically a coming of age book. I hardly agree. "To Kill A Mockingbird" should have topped this list.
lolafrancis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolafrancis.html

Post by lolafrancis »

I do enjoy this book. I have reread it (To Kill a Mockingbird) several times over the years and it time I see it through a new lens. Great mention!

Lola
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

The Lady of the Camellias, by Alexandre Dumas
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”