4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by whero »

I just recently read "The Catcher in the Rye" because I had always heard it was a "classic"tale. Unfortunately I have to say I am distinctly underwhelmed. This is mostly because I can't relate in anyway shape or form to Holden Caulfield, but it's also because I really can't see what the point of the book was; I can't see that Holden grew or changed in anyway and I couldn't see an arc to the story. It all just seemed like pointless whiny drivel. My boyfriend who read it just before me seemed to take to it much better (though as he said this was because he could relate to Holden in a small way), but he also said he couldn't really see why it was a "classic". Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of this book??? Would somebody like to explain to me what is so important about it???
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
KayCee_K
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaycee-k.html

Post by KayCee_K »

I have been wanting to read "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury for quite sometime but I'm unsure. I have read many, many books but never anything like or about ' a future American society where books are outlawed'. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around a world like that. I could be the fact that books are may everything but I still going to try and give it a read one day.
KayCee_K
makenahulme

Post by makenahulme »

All wonderful reads!
Krystie

Post by Krystie »

Manon Lescaut by Abbe Prevost is great too.. Such a tragic love story. It touched me.
Senserial_Publishing

Post by Senserial_Publishing »

It is hard to pick up only 4 great classical books, there are so many! But let's give it a try:

1. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austin
2. "The catcher in the rye" by Salinger
3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
4. "The three musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas"
Rebecca_13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-13.html

Post by Rebecca_13 »

Completely agree with 'Of mice and men', thought it was a truly gripping novel from all perspectives. Something I noticed was how I also knew people who don't often read however this book was also one I know they all finished. A book for everyone you could say.

For me 'The great Gatsby' will always be one of the best books i've ever read, almost every word had significance. It conveys the message of having a dream and letting that take over your life and its consequences perfectly.
cynthia-t

Post by cynthia-t »

I loved all the books mentioned and when I have time I want to read them all again. Have you read William Faulkner? Wonderful stories and characters, once you get used to his stream of conscienceness style. Has anyone read the Russian authors? Great books too.
booklover69101
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by booklover69101 »

Catcher in the Rye has been read many times in my life, love the book and has a different perspective each time!
Saoirse200
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saoirse200.html
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons

Post by Saoirse200 »

I have read Of Mice and Men by John Steinback and it was a brilliant read!
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons
darcyb123
Favorite Author: Amy Tan
Favorite Book: The Far Pavilions
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darcyb123.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 3701

Post by darcyb123 »

I love all the books you listed, but especially Of Mice and Men and Fahrenheit 451. Can you believe I read this in JH? It was then and has remained a favorite book of mine. I do think Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and a few others deserve to be on the list as well. Classics are some of the best, most timeless reads available.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

C. S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fever33
Favorite Author: Stuart Woods
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Unintended consequences
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fever33.html
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
fav_author_id: 13261

Post by fever33 »

I read Of mice and men and catcher in the rye in high school. I loved how our teacher went deeper into the books. Like Scott says the Grapes of Wrath is another one to add to the list
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Omg I feel left out now, I actually have never read The Catcher in the Rye, Im buying it right now!
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

1. The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens (my favorite)
2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
3. Persuasion by Jane Austen (was a toss up with Pride and Prejudice)
4. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

oh I could go on and on... and this list could change each day depending on my mood.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

Of those 4, I've only read Of Mice and Men, and I don't remember liking it. That could be because, at the time (high school), it simply wasn't the kind of book I was into. Maybe I should read it again. I should probably read the others too...
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
awhipple
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awhipple.html

Post by awhipple »

I agree that all of these are extremely important books. It is strange to think of how long ago it was that I read them. I often wonder if I was truly able to appreciate them in middle school and in high school. Perhaps I need to revisit them. It is amazing that they are timeless, and maybe even growing more important everyday.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”