4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Baron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by The Baron »

There's one book I always advice people to read and I have to admit, I hope someone has yet to read it and will decide to pick it up now..

That's "The Count of Monte Cristo" by A. Dumas.

The style may not be the best, because it was written to be publised in episodes - therefore there are some repetitions, long descriptions and a few redundant dialogues which could have been shortened.

But all in all, it is one of the best books ever in my humble opinion, it's huge and yet (like most good books) you will be sad when you see you're getting closer and closer to the end, because you would want to keep on reading.
The story is brilliant and catching, even some friends of mine who only read things like dan brown and stephen king and are not inclined to read an old big book were absolutely blown away by it.

I hope you will enjoy it!
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

This is a book that I was recently "forced" to read in school. Traditionally, I am not a fan of having to read anything (especially something that was written fifty years before I was born). But this ended up being the best book I've ever read (okay, so maybe it's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). The best thing about this book is that it's not too long (so that those who arn't crazy about reading won't feel like giving up), and it's not hard to understand, like some of Steinbeck's other stuff. If you want to read a book by him, this is a great first choice. Read it before you pick up anything else by Steinbeck. And the ending...un-freaking-believable!
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

This is a story of lessons in life that force you to reconsider what you invest in your friends. Of Mice and Men is a story of friendship, of devotion, disappointment and realization. John Steinbeck tries to show how flimsy our friendships can become even if they started off with the best of intentions and how loyal we must be to keep them intact. Yet, he filters out the hardships we endure just to survive and maintain a certain distance from those whose behavior effects us in detrimental ways. Again, Steinbeck is a genius, perfecting his storytelling by delving into the minds of these two men to see at what cost they remain devoted and loyal. I think Steinbeck has captured the spirit of hopes, dreams and wishes in a truly American episode of our great West.
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I've tried to forge into "The Catcher in the Rye," but it just doesn't hold my interest very well... I'll get through one day, when time permits me to force my way through.

I'm ashamed to have not read "Nineteen Eighty-Four." Ashamed. I must read this and stop procrastinating.

I'd be amazed to meet someone who doesn't like at least some aspect of "Of Mice and Men." That Steinbeck can pack so many themes into so short a space is simply remarkable. Everyone I know who's read it has been moved.

"Fahrenheit 451" has to be my favorite of all of these, even though it rather depresses me. I suppose for someone who loves reading as much as any of us, the idea of our world becoming like that... it's too real and horrifying.
saprata

Post by saprata »

Hi!
I've already read 1984, and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I never read the other ones but I read a book that despite being a bit crazy is very creative and unbelievably well written.That book is One hundred years of solitude and it was written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. You should really read it. It's mind blowing!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Of Mice and Men is in my top 5 books, The Catcher in the Rye however wasn't my thing at all. 1984 was an alright read although more "popular" than amazing literature. Fahrenheit 451 is a book I need to read and have been meaning to but the book pile is always so large, I should make it a priority.
colaroid

Post by colaroid »

I bought catcher in the rye based on having heard of it and everyone going on about it. All I remember was that I found it dull, and gave it to charity. I don't remember any of the storyline becuase it made no impression on me. Is it a boys book?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

colaroid wrote:I bought catcher in the rye based on having heard of it and everyone going on about it. All I remember was that I found it dull, and gave it to charity. I don't remember any of the storyline becuase it made no impression on me. Is it a boys book?
I agree with you Colaroid ... I read Catcher some years ago & found it very hard work to finish it. Still can't see why it's so highly regarded.
SmartShopp3r

Post by SmartShopp3r »

colaroid wrote: All I remember was that I found it dull, and gave it to charity. I don't remember any of the storyline becuase it made no impression on me. Is it a boys book?
Couldn't say it better myself. I completely agree with colaroid.
wiggicc

Post by wiggicc »

These 4 books are great, all dealing with different facets of life and all making their deserving marks on the world.

Catcher In The Rye was a book, while reading, i thought of nothing more than ending. It felt pretentious and boring in the beginning. I didn't think Holden was misunderstood, just a brat, but after getting used to Holden and his ways, i soon felt like i was on his side, wanting him to succeed every step of the way. The character development is amazing. Everyone has days when they feel like Holden and that's why he's such a great character, so relateable and out of touch with himself and the world around him. With most books I close the book feeling like i just got through reading a story about some arbitrary characters in some far off place where the world is rotating the opposite way of mine. Are these books bad? No. But they don't stick. If you want a book that sticks, read Catcher in the Rye. Even if you hate it at first i'll guarantee you'll never forget Holden.

Of Mice and Men. What can you say about this book? Steinbeck is probably my favorite writer thus far in my life. He has a knack for heart wrenching scenes. Most notably in this book. If you have a heart, it will break. Don't even try to keep from it, it will happen. Lenny and George's friendship translates even to the most obtuse and blind. After reading this, you don't have to be told what it's about or why things happened the way they did, you just know. 2 words: READ IT!!!

A perfect world that's not so perfect after all. 1984 is another dime a dozen dystopian novel. What sets this one apart from the others is it's creator, a political satirist at his finest, maybe even a soothsayer. While the world isn't quite what he wrote that it'd be, at times it sure does resemble it. Orwell's 1984 is a must. I loved it!

Fahrenheit 451 is incendiary.(haha!! get what i did there?) If you love books, and that's probably why everyone is here, then you'll love to hate this bookburning town. It's been a while since I've read it but i still remember the indignation i felt.
Sanders

Post by Sanders »

I agree with Catcher in The Rye 100%.
globalvision

Post by globalvision »

Isn't there something creepy about The Catcher In The Rye? The whole idea that childhood is unblemished innonnence and adulthood corrupt beyond redemption? Isn't it the serial killer's handbook? OK, that's a cheap shot but this isn't a healthy philosophy. Maybe Salinger was just exploring the issue as a writer but the fact that he spent decades locked away from the world suggests otherwise. Yeah, it is a great piece of writing but I think the anthem for lost youth hype that surrounds it is foolish.
Daily Alice

Post by Daily Alice »

There are more than four that I can think of, but I will start with these:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

By the way, these four were books I was expecting to be a chore to read, and instead found them delightful page-turners, each telling a profound message without sacrificing character and/or plot.
liyulianyanyu

Post by liyulianyanyu »

It is pitty for me, I think. I don't read any of them. Perhaps I should read in the partime.
OrloGina

Post by OrloGina »

i agreed with u.. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”