4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marta_DH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by marta_DH »

Why everyone are mentioning 1984 and Of Mice and Men again and again? I think it would be more useful to mention some other books.

So I recommend The Plague, it shows how the evil works (but not only). I think that it's very important novel.

Next one is A World Apart by Gustav Herling. The author describes the life in soviet gulags. He shows that every part of it is made on purpose to destroy humanity in prisoners. The novel isn't a "pleasant" one like Gone with the wind, but definitely has something important to say. I don't think anyone can stay unmoved after reading it.

The Master and Margarita is absolutely amazing. Every time I read it, I notice new aspects, new details.

Have someone from here read any of them?
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

marta_DH wrote:Why everyone are mentioning 1984 and Of Mice and Men again and again? I think it would be more useful to mention some other books.

So I recommend The Plague, it shows how the evil works (but not only). I think that it's very important novel.

Next one is A World Apart by Gustav Herling. The author describes the life in soviet gulags. He shows that every part of it is made on purpose to destroy humanity in prisoners. The novel isn't a "pleasant" one like Gone with the wind, but definitely has something important to say. I don't think anyone can stay unmoved after reading it.

The Master and Margarita is absolutely amazing. Every time I read it, I notice new aspects, new details.

Hi Marta,

Who is the author for "The Plague"? I am curious to read it
marta_DH

Post by marta_DH »

Albert Camus.

Waiting for your opinion. : )
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

Thank you muchly!
Nhocngamy

Post by Nhocngamy »

ok i think so
brttn89
Favorite Author: Mark Twain
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
fav_author_id: 2664

Post by brttn89 »

I love love love the book Fahrenheit 451! It was an amazing book. I love the story it was so interesting, and I have never read a book like that before.
'Classic' a book which people praise but don't read~Mark Twain
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

brttn89 wrote:I love love love the book Fahrenheit 451! It was an amazing book. I love the story it was so interesting, and I have never read a book like that before.
I was just discussing this on the thread regarding which books should be made into movies. I can't recall anyone making this one into a movie. I agree, it's a fantastic book. Bradbury is poet, philosopher, and prophet all rolled into one. He predicted the Internet in this book, and he predicted how our electronics would turn us all into a bunch of mindless trolls. Who is your vote to play Guy Montag in the movie version?
brttn89

Post by brttn89 »

Well it has been a while since Ive read the book, but from what I can remember about it his character is torn from doing what was right and wrong, but chooses to do the right thing, um I would have to say Russel Crowe, I think he would be a very good cast for the part. Who would you think....
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

brttn89 wrote:Well it has been a while since Ive read the book, but from what I can remember about it his character is torn from doing what was right and wrong, but chooses to do the right thing, um I would have to say Russel Crowe, I think he would be a very good cast for the part. Who would you think....
Crowe is good, although I think the character would have to be a little more thoughtful, intellectual in appearance, somebody who looks like he enjoys reading a book or two, not that Crowe doesn't, when he's not busy breaking telephones over desk clerk's heads.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Mel Carriere wrote:
brttn89 wrote:Well it has been a while since Ive read the book, but from what I can remember about it his character is torn from doing what was right and wrong, but chooses to do the right thing, um I would have to say Russel Crowe, I think he would be a very good cast for the part. Who would you think....
Crowe is good, although I think the character would have to be a little more thoughtful, intellectual in appearance, somebody who looks like he enjoys reading a book or two, not that Crowe doesn't, when he's not busy breaking telephones over desk clerk's heads.
I think poor old Russel look very intelligent ............... even when he's breaking telephones :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
brttn89

Post by brttn89 »

I <3 Russel Crowe in a beautiful mind! :D
AnnaWins

Post by AnnaWins »

Fahrenheit 451 has been made into a movie in 1966. It was awful. And there was no mechanical hound in the movie version. How can you make Fahrenheit into a movie and not have the hound?! I read once that Mel Gibson was trying to make a better version of the movie. Don't know what happen to that though.
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

marta_DH wrote:Why everyone are mentioning 1984 and Of Mice and Men again and again? I think it would be more useful to mention some other books.

These are the best suggestions i have read this far.
English is probably not your native tongue, is it? :)
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
Artdude

Post by Artdude »

Farenheit 451
Of Mice and Men

No-one read them, let alone 'again'. They are the biggest load of dystopian drivel I have ever read. Such a yawn.
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

It's not a problem in these novels, it's just that as i read your posts, you're an aestheticist. Let's say these novels deal with ideology and repression. In sociology and philosophy, you'll see that those are the subject mostly marxian thinkers write about. Then the ontological vs. aesthetical void then becomes even greater. Marxians are tilted more to functionality than aesthetics. It's like Barcelona vs. Madrid. One is functional and other is simply beautiful :)

I'm in a rush now, so i don't have time to express my thoughts in a more eloquent way :)
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”