4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nwells
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by nwells »

I love the classics, they never get old, hence why they are classics lol :D
My favorite on the list is "Catcher in the Rye" because it dares to go against the grain and be different than the rest. Its material is very daring and raunchy.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I have been meaning to reread the Catcher in the Rye for ages. I have seen the title come up in a few posts now. Suppose its time to find it on the bookshelf and dust it off :)
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I really enjoy the classics.
DebByrne+43
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Storyteller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyrne-43.html
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by DebByrne+43 »

I loved Of Mice and Men...simple and well written. I am not a fan of the rest of the books listed.
sellisd5

Post by sellisd5 »

Libellus wrote:Hated The Catcher, loved Mice and Men and 1984. Fahrenheit is on the list - but not to close to the top. Should I bump it up a few places ?
I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought the whole time reading it, What's the point to this story?
phonicphoenix
Favorite Author: The Brothers Grimm
Favorite Book: Holes
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phonicphoenix.html
fav_author_id: 5346

Post by phonicphoenix »

Of Mice and Men was the first book that we read in school that truly shocked me. I think we actually read the novel in sixth grade and we weren't quite at the age to appreciate it for what it was. I've since picked it back up and have to say it is one of my favorite novels.
Now it's all change, it's got to change more
Cause we think it's getting better
But nobody's really sure
CR Sutton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cr-sutton.html

Post by CR Sutton »

I read 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 in high school. Hated the first, Loved the second. I never read the other two, though they are on my TBR list. Another classic that I was not a huge fan of but had good points is Lord of the Flies. Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment is also pretty interesting.
shanet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanet.html

Post by shanet »

Scott wrote:I like The Grapes of Wrath too, but what makes me like Of Mice and Men so much more is that it is so much shorter. :)
I loved Of Mice and Men and have never read The Grapes of Wrath. If the latter were shorter how would you stack it up against Of Mice and Men?
DLBomba

Post by DLBomba »

Fahrenheit 451 is on our library's book club list for this year. I am looking forward to reading it. I have read Of Mice and Men, but haven't read the others. Being in an advanced English track in high school and as an English major, I read many classics but different titles than the mainstream high school ones. I am looking to read at least a handful of classics each year alongside new releases!
Alexsandra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsandra.html

Post by Alexsandra »

I have read Of mice and men and watched the movie but have not read the other's as of yet will give them a try.We had to read Romeo and Juliet and A Separate Peace in High School.
aortegon

Post by aortegon »

I love The Catcher but i have yet to read 1984. It is next on my list.
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I loved 1984. It is just amazing to me how much it had been compared to the Soviet Union, but how much it now mirrors a lot of things going on here. I had seen the old movie (with Lon Chaney and Burgess Meredith) for Of Mice and Men long before I read the book, but as usual, the book is better. I haven't read the other two and I am not really sure that I will.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

I have read "Of Mice and Men", "1984", and "Fahrenheit 451". All were great for discussion, but I absolutely hated 1984. I don't like to read about distopias. Or utopias for that matter.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
JedCohelo

Post by JedCohelo »

I've re-read Cacther and the Rye..recently for the first time as an ADULT.

GREAT, No spectacular VOICE.
Only now, do I fully realized what a genius Salinger was. How, he's prefectly on the ball (in HOLDEN's HEAD).

Even though, I had to read all of them at school.

Thanks to this thread, I jsut might re-read OF mice and men..
aweirdassbooknerd
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Shining by Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aweirdassbooknerd.html

Post by aweirdassbooknerd »

I think Pride and Prejudice should have made the list. None of the books you mentioned involved a woman protagonist. This shows how much the male patriarchy affects us in all spheres. I'm not saying you HAVE to mention certain books, I'm talking about how constricted women were to write or even be literate. Pride and Prejudice is a very beautiful and profound book and it deserves more attention.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”