A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Butterbescotch
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Post by Butterbescotch »

The blurb for the first book:
Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket
The information of the series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Series_o ... ate_Events

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just watched the film and I am intrigue on how the whole series folds out. Though I have read the first book and enjoyed it, I was not excited to continue.

Some of reviewers said that as you read the books on the series you would get worn out by the style. Now, I like the style, in fact it was genuine and effective, but the story, in my inference, will eventually lost substance and appeal. Since the Baudelaires are constantly suffering, I can't see the thrill of their soon-to-be dilemmas because the book's suggest that you will always expect the worst.

Now, is it worth it to read the remaining series? :?: :?:
Last edited by Butterbescotch on 27 May 2011, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lolla
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Currently Reading: Ilse Witch
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by Lolla »

I actually loved the movie. When I saw your post I thought I should read this book, after reading your post however, not so sure anymore :)

I saw the movie a long time ago, but didn't it end relatively happy? And even though one bad thing after another happened, the story didn't seem that heavy or depressing. Or is that feeling not the same in the book?
Cherrydapple

Post by Cherrydapple »

Nope. In the book it's so much more depressing. Well, I'm currently on #9, and all of the books end with a very depressing cliffhanger.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

Yea, the books are actually really sad. Sometimes you can hate the book because it's just too sad. I think it's a good idea to read the rest (but I don't like the ending) mainly because...it's good. An interesting read.
:D Enjoy your day~
Cherrydapple

Post by Cherrydapple »

Have you read them Ail?
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

Yep, a long time ago. They are interesting. :)
:D Enjoy your day~
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

@Lolla

Yes, the movie was great. I adore the production designer for making the feel of story. Also, thanks to Jim Carrey. He made Count Olaf an interesting character than the book.

@Aillenhu

Did you finish it right? Did the author's style worn you out?
Spencer Brokaw

Post by Spencer Brokaw »

The books are more sad than the movies but they are not that sad. I read all of the series of
unfortunate events and I thought they were good. I read one a night and finished them all in 13 days they were so good, it is my third favorite series and the ending is spectacular!
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

They are indeed. Its too bad there will be no sequel for the film adaptation.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I read all the books to my daughter. It's a well written series, despite the sadness and trouble, there is still something to laugh about too and the plot remains interesting in every book.

However, somewhere near the last books, the author get's you in suspense about something seemingly important, the entire book is about getting that important thing, then in the next you read, it's not that important to find and there are things in the world one never understands, so he leaves that unexplained and the story moves on without finding or explaining that important thing. Though the author is right, I think that after dedicating an entire book to find something which eventually isn't explained at all nor found but did make us curious as to why exactly it had to be found, some sort of explanation in that case would have been nice. Other than that, great series and definitely worth reading.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

A few years ago as a newcomer to Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler) I discovered his non-fiction book "The Beatrice Letters" and it helped me understand his books a lot more.

The blurb says "Readers looking for clues to 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' which culminates with the publication of Book 13 'The End' (2006) should proceed with great caution: the more they examine 'The Beatrice Letters', the more they will decode".

Unfortunately I'm still not a great fan.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Stella

Post by Stella »

I haven't read these since I was about 10, but I did enjoy them. I loved the quirkiness of Daniel's writing. I might pick up a copy of the first book from the library next time I go :)
jordn0007

Post by jordn0007 »

i have read this book 3 times and its really too sad...
some times i hat this book just bcoz its too sad but after some time i feel let me complete this ....
so i think there is some attraction in this...
then i have got its audio book also
jray321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jray321.html

Post by jray321 »

Even though the books are a bit sad at times I really enjoyed this series. Its been years since I've read them and I can't remember all of the events in the series, but I do remember that Count Olaf is constantly trying to steal away the Baudelaire fortune - the only thing that remains of their parents (whom are already dead as the series begins). Each book illustrates a new method to Olaf's madness in his attempt to claim their fortune. Due to Olaf's persistence there are a "series of unfortunate events" that befall the Baudelaire siblings throughout each of the books in the series. Each time the orphans are able to outsmart him and escape his plans, but at times you wonder if they are going to make it...
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I'm a teacher and I read the first four to my class of eleven year olds and they just listened with wrapt attention. They loved spotting Count Olaf and his assistants and desperately wanted it all to work out. I've only read the first six so far and then found they started to get a little repetitive. Do they start to develop different twists etc as they go on?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”