Featured Review

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

the picture of dorian gray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

the picture of dorian gray

Post Number:#1  Postby Megz_hayes » 15 May 2011, 15:20

Hi
im a new member on here and thought id ask for the general opinion on 'the picture of dorian gray' by Oscar Wilde?
Im only a few chapters in but finding it difficult to maintain concentration and interest so is it worth the struggle of carrying on??
Megz_hayes

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#2  Postby Lola82 » 15 May 2011, 16:16

Hi, welcome!

It took me a few tries to get into the novel too. I finished it and have since reread it a few times. It is definitely worth it. It's such an amazing novel. I think it's definitely worth the trek through it. It does get easier.
Lola82

Post Number:#3  Postby Gannon » 16 May 2011, 18:04

I agree with Lola82. You may have to read it a couple of times (it is only a short book) but it is very rewarding. Fantastic book, Wilde shows what amazing imagination and beautiful style he has.
If you are not having fun......then what is the point.
Gannon

Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth

Re: the picture of dorian gray

Post Number:#4  Postby MandyMe » 24 Sep 2012, 17:29

I also agree that The Picture of Dorian Gray was a great book. It really forces one to think on their actions and imagine what their portrait might look like.

Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors. If you like satiric works written in a scintillating tone then he is the author for you. I greatly enjoyed An Ideal Husband and his fairy tale, The Happy Prince.
MandyMe

Post Number:#5  Postby ralfy » 25 Sep 2012, 10:12

It's a fine work, and you may see it in light of the film version from the 1940s.
ralfy

Post Number:#6  Postby samsmum » 19 Oct 2012, 15:26

I have always wanted to read this ... had several copies and ended up 'lending' them and not getting them back :)
shall search the charity shop shelves with earnest this weekend :)
samsmum