The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Butterbescotch
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

Post by Butterbescotch »

Blurb from the the book cover.
Wanted:

One young woman to take care of four-year-old boy. Must be cheerful, enthusiastic and selfless—bordering on masochistic. Must relish sixteen-hour shifts with a deliberately nap-deprived preschooler. Must love getting thrown up on, literally and figuratively, by everyone in his family. Must enjoy the delicious anticipation of ridiculously erratic pay. Mostly, must love being treated like fungus found growing out of employers Hermès bag. Those who take it personally need not apply.

Who wouldn’t want this job? Struggling to graduate from NYU and afford her microscopic studio apartment, Nanny takes a position caring for the only son of the wealthy X family. She rapidly learns the insane amount of juggling involved to ensure that a Park Avenue wife who doesn’t work, cook, clean, or raise her own child has a smooth day.

When the Xs marriage begins to disintegrate, Nanny ends up involved way beyond the bounds of human decency or good taste. Her tenure with the X family becomes a nearly impossible mission to maintain the mental health of their four-year-old, her own integrity and, most importantly, her sense of humor. Over nine tense months, Mrs. X and Nanny perform the age-old dance of decorum and power as they test the limits of modern-day servitude.
----
Chapter Summary:

Chapter 1: Nanny For Sale (5/3/11)
- Nan meets Mrs. X at the park when his son's hoop hits her. She gets an offer to a job, by then she gets acquainted the snotty Grayer, Mrs. X Son. He meets a Harvard Hottie.

Chapter 2: Multitasking (5/3/11)
- She is now bombarded with uncommonly tasks out of a Nanny reach but is more of like of an personal assistant. She again meets the Harvard Hottie but gets humiliated by his friends.

Chapter 3: Night of the Banking Dead
- Harvard Hottie invites Nan for a night but she they didn't meet because Nan attended a Halloween Party with the Xes. Nanny sees Mr. X having an affair with another woman, Ms. Chicago.

Chapter 4: Holiday Cheer at $10 an hour
- It's Christmas. Nanny and Grayer go to Nanny's Granmother, who teaches Grayer how to waissling (caroling). Grayer then practice at home with Nan and they toured the building for Christmas Carols. They even stop at H.H. house by Nan's plan.

Chapter 5: Downtime
- Nan catch Ms. Chicago lingering in the apartment of the Xes

Chapter 6: Love Part Avenue Style
- Mr. X lies about his trip and Mrs. X now have an inkling about the affair

Chapter 7: We Regret To Inform You
- Grayer gets rejected from the Collegiate, the school he dearly wants.

Chapter 8: Frosting On the Cake
- Connie, the housekeeper, gets kicked out despite her twelve years of service. Nan meet H.H. and they have a good time. Nan discovers Mrs. X background.

Chapter 9: Oh . . . My . . . God
- Nan finish his 5 page thesis in three hours and she is invited to a vacation in Nantucket

Chapter 10: And We Gave Her An All-expenses-paid Vacation
- Apart from looking out Grayer and other families' kids, Nan is also lonely and tired. Ms. Chicago keeps calling Mr. X but fails to speak to him.

Chapter 11: A Bang and a Whimper
- Mrs. X is having a child and talked to Nan out of the job because she is not "totally committed" to the job. She feels sad leaving Grayer.

Chapter 12: It's Been a Pleasure
- On the way back to her home, Nan pulls out her pay and finds it insufficient. She then go to the apartment and finds the security camera and speaks her heart out.
----
Last edited by Butterbescotch on 05 May 2011, 19:15, edited 3 times in total.
Moore

Post by Moore »

I saw the film by the book and I may say that the film is light and funny. But I need to read a book to compare.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Moore wrote:I saw the film by the book and I may say that the film is light and funny. But I need to read a book to compare.
It is "Diabolically Funny". I have watched the film that made me picked up the book. :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”