What is a good book you read...that nobody has heard about?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erasmus_Folly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erasmus_Folly »

hotrod marlin wrote:I agree- great book. Have you read Krakatoa by him? It is one of my all time favorites.
Not yet, but I think I'll pick that up. I have always been fasinated by the story since I first heard of it. I didn't think much of the movie Krakatoa: East of Java (not based on his book).

I live in the state of Washington where Mt St. Helens blew up in 1980 (on my birthday no less), though I wasn't living here at the time.

For those who have never seen it here is a video clip:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2972126736
One must think like a hero merely to behave like a decent human being.
designpassion

Post by designpassion »

I read a very inspiring story lately. It's a true story about a young ladies life battling illness and trying to hold on to life (or the good parts of it, rather). It's called "In the stink of life, smell the rose of sharon" and she writes about overcoming her struggles. I like it because it is a kind of christian inspiration book but doesn't have some 3-step process or solution... it is a genuine example of how one person LIVED biblical truths. Great ending too.. has a bit of a real life love-plot going on.
myecubby

Post by myecubby »

I'd have to go with The Quran Unveiled: Islam and Christianity in Conflict for an educational reading that opened my eyes to some of the conflicts going on in the modern world, and why many people in the Middle East believe what they do.
jenmcd

Post by jenmcd »

The Irish comedian Ardal O'Hanlon wrote a book called The Talk of the Town which came out about 10 years ago. I had never heard of it until I saw it mentioned in 1001 books to read byd. Picked it up in a charity shop and loved it. Whenever I see an interview with him I'm always dying for them to ask him if he plans to write any more novels but he doesn't seem to be recognised for this at all.

VVirago publish some very obscure stuff in their Modern Classics series. A lot of these are out of print now but whenever I see one secondhand I always pick it up. Have never failed to enjoy one of these.
hotrod marlin

Post by hotrod marlin »

Mt. St. Helens - I remember one of teachers bringing in some of the ash to show our class. I think I was in the 4th grade- pretty wild.

I suggest putting Krakatoa on the top of your list- It is an incredible book especially if you are somewhat interested in volcanos.
Erasmus_Folly wrote:
hotrod marlin wrote:I agree- great book. Have you read Krakatoa by him? It is one of my all time favorites.
Not yet, but I think I'll pick that up. I have always been fasinated by the story since I first heard of it. I didn't think much of the movie Krakatoa: East of Java (not based on his book).

I live in the state of Washington where Mt St. Helens blew up in 1980 (on my birthday no less), though I wasn't living here at the time.

For those who have never seen it here is a video clip:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2972126736
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

I recently read things fall apart by Chinua Achebe. Its about an African tribe, their culture and the struggle faced by one of the leaders. Achebe is African and was raised in a village similar to what he writes about. It was also written as a kind of response to Heart of Darkness. Majorly recommend it
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

blue_diamond21 wrote:I recently read things fall apart by Chinua Achebe. Its about an African tribe, their culture and the struggle faced by one of the leaders. Achebe is African and was raised in a village similar to what he writes about. It was also written as a kind of response to Heart of Darkness. Majorly recommend it
I read Heart of Darkness very recently, so I'm interested in that book that you are recommending.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
AlwaysReading

Post by AlwaysReading »

This book just came out May 15th. It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's a very clever book. The entire thing is written from the perspective of a dog.
mrsdalloway

Post by mrsdalloway »

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I came across it by accident, it was just laying around in the living room. The style is quite simple but the story is quite powerful, makes you think... I also love the way she describes sick things in such a subtle way, it's amazing. Also, aparently it's being made into a film! Hope it's not too disappointing. Anyways, I recommend.
'The word-coining genius, as if thought plunged into a sea of words and came up dripping'
bjgupta

Post by bjgupta »

I read 'Spouse' by Shobha de.

Regards,

(B.J. Gupta)
bjgupta

Post by bjgupta »

I am reading 'Surviving men' by Shobha De

Regards,

(B.J. Gupta)
avidreader40

Post by avidreader40 »

Guys Don't Rat on Guys by Grey Baker is hands down the best book I have ever read that nobody knows about.

It is the story of a cynical, untrusting adult who returns to his hometown after two decades and confronts the people who abused him as a child. I honestly have never read anything like it. Not being a writer I am not doing the book justice with this description so I will just say go to Amazon and check it out. It is really an incredible read.
Jeny473

Post by Jeny473 »

AlwaysReading wrote:This book just came out May 15th. It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's a very clever book. The entire thing is written from the perspective of a dog.
This is a very clever book. Normally, I don't care for books told from the perspective of an animal as I find them to cute, to foolish or the author is trying to hard to make you cry or something. However, I feel in this novel, "Enzo's" observations of humans gives the reader an interesting opportunity for philosophical reflection.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

Eh? Why not read popular books.

Maybe read 'Virals' by Cathy Reichs. They're good. I don't think many [on this forum] has heard her name before. Anyway, most people know her series Bones but as Virals is a fairly new book, I guess that'll work.

I didn't help much because I didn't know what to say. Good luck!
Ail.
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

I'm betting I could spit out at least 50 authors / titles you never heard about - that's right, they're not in English.

But since I suppose that was not the purpose of this exercise, than I believe Feist would be my candidate - I was reassured only recently that he didn't sell his books just in the Czech republic and on the South Pole.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”