Earth's Children series by Jean Auel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
A24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Earth's Children series by Jean Auel

Post by A24 »

I see the latest book of this series (The Land of Painted Caves) has recently come out. Has anyone read it or is planning to? I first started this series over 25 years ago (yes, I'm that old :) ) with Clan of the Cave Bear. I think I read the first 3 books of the series. I hated that it took the author so long to write the next book. Do you think I'd be able to pick up where I left off after so long? Your thoughts on the series?
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

I never read the series. So forgive me for these questions:

What is the series all about?
Is this a children's book?
A24

Post by A24 »

No, it isn't a children's series. The books can be quite long and very detailed. Some parts are even violent and can be sexually explicit. I think the first book - Clan of the Cave Bear was probably the best. This is that description from Amazon:

When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

A24 wrote:I see the latest book of this series (The Land of Painted Caves) has recently come out. Has anyone read it or is planning to? I first started this series over 25 years ago (yes, I'm that old :) ) with Clan of the Cave Bear. I think I read the first 3 books of the series. I hated that it took the author so long to write the next book. Do you think I'd be able to pick up where I left off after so long? Your thoughts on the series?
Lord it's years since I read Clan of the Cave Bear but I remember loving it. I must have a search I'm sure it's in the house somewhere. I think I read the next one Valley of Horses too but lost touch with it after that. She's a terrifically imaginative writer. I must keep an eye out for the rest of the series & pick it up again. To answer your question I imagine the new book could be enjoyed without being familiar with the series otherwise she would have limited her audience significantly. If you decide to read it do let us know what you think.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

A24 wrote:No, it isn't a children's series. The books can be quite long and very detailed. Some parts are even violent and can be sexually explicit. I think the first book - Clan of the Cave Bear was probably the best. This is that description from Amazon:

When her parents are killed by an earthquake, 5-year-old Ayla wanders through the forest completely alone. Cold, hungry, and badly injured by a cave lion, the little girl is as good as gone until she is discovered by a group who call themselves the Clan of the Cave Bear. This clan, left homeless by the same disaster, have little interest in the helpless girl who comes from the tribe they refer to as the "Others." Only their medicine woman sees in Ayla a fellow human, worthy of care. She painstakingly nurses her back to health--a decision that will forever alter the physical and emotional structure of the clan. Although this story takes place roughly 35,000 years ago, its cast of characters could easily slide into any modern tale. The members of the Neanderthal clan, ruled by traditions and taboos, find themselves challenged by this outsider, who represents the physically modern Cro-Magnons. And as Ayla begins to grow and mature, her natural tendencies emerge, putting her in the middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.
What do you mean by middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Butterbescotch wrote:
A24 wrote:No, it isn't a children's series. The books can be quite long and very detailed. Some parts are even violent and can be sexually explicit. I think the first book - Clan of the Cave Bear was probably the best. This is that description from Amazon:

What do you mean by middle of a brutal and dangerous power struggle.?
The little girl, Ayla, represents the next phase in human evolutionary development and the power struggle is the usual one against the old guard in this case the Neanderthals ... those opposing change. Remember it's set 35,000 years ago as what we now recognize as the human race is just starting out.
I agree it is quiet violent & sexually explicit in parts but brilliant none the less. I won't give an opinion on whether it's suitable for children or not ... suffice to say it depends on the child.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ParkerSM
Favorite Author: isobelle carmody
Favorite Book: Dracula by Bram Stoker
Currently Reading: The Shelters of Stone by Jean M Auel
fav_author_id: 16163

Post by ParkerSM »

Thought I would drop a quick reply.
I had trouble getting through the Plains of Passages, as Auel does seems to get on a bit of a tangent with her descriptions of things, but I must admit, I am loving the series. I'm into the second last book ( The Shelters of Stone) and I can't wait for the next one!!

Over all, the series is quite informative, I find that I can have intelligent conversations with my partner (Who studied Anthropology at University) about the book, and he has never read it!

Would also like to drop in there that my Grandmother met Aule when she was in Australia studying the Aboriginal people for her (then) upcoming book, The Shelter's of Stone. My Gran worked at a College for Aboriginal People and they had a discussion about the history of the Aboriginal people. So you know, Just dropping names etc. :D
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Wonderful series of books; my favourite will always be The Valley Of Horses.
And, yes, people often forget that Auel took thirty years to research and write them.

The Clan Of The Cave Bear - 1980
The Valley Of Horses -1982
The Mammoth Hunters - 1985
The Plains Of Passage - 1990
The Shelters Of Stone - 2002
The Land Of Painted Caves - 2011
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
ParkerSM

Post by ParkerSM »

I found that the Valley of Horses was my least favourite. I found it quite hard to read when it was mostly a monologue and a young girl talking to a horse. But I did like the chapters that were about Jondalar and his brother's travels. They were interesting.
My favourite, so far, is the Mammoth Hunters. I loved the Mamutoi people. Or perhaps even Clan of the Cave Bear was my favourite! Or Perhaps I just love them all as a series! :D
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

How could you not love The Valley Of Horses? Agreed, all the books are wonderful, but The Valley Of Horses is virtually the starting point of modern Cro-Magnons. Ayla is the first woman to tame a horse, befriend a wild animal, use flint for fire, administer curative herbs and, of course, it's when she first meets Jondalar. And the rest is history.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
ParkerSM

Post by ParkerSM »

Ok, so all that cool stuff happens. I think I was just more longing for Human Interaction. I possibly had my expectations set somewhere else? like finding her people, happily every after kinda stuff. Glad that it didn't go that way. Although, I am currently at a part in "The Shelters of Stone" where I finished one chapter, and then the next one is "Four Years later" Its like! What!?!? I have grown use to nearly every day documented, and now to jump 4 years into the future! Almost like a type of cliff-hanger!
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Brilliant stuff!!!!!
willowrose

Post by willowrose »

I have not read the series but this gave me a flashback. I was at a garage sale one time and the lady was selling these books and tried desperately to talk me into buying them. Because she loved them that much. She went on and on about how wonderful they were. I don't recall actually buying the book so now I'm regretting it of course!! ;p But evidently there's quite a fan base out there. It's interesting to know a little bit more about them. And that the author has apparently been writing them for quite a few years! Cool. :)
ParkerSM

Post by ParkerSM »

Just want to say that clearly I have some "reading" issues, because I am actually reading "The Land of the Painted Caves" so I am actually on to that last book! Geez I am good! Hahaha! Either way, I am enjoying this book. Not as much sexual content this book compared to the others though, which is different, but a nice change. I am not against sexual content in books, but it was nice to read a few chapters without a sex scene popping up. Pun Not Intended.
docgoodheart
Favorite Author: Jean M Auel
Favorite Book: Gods Smuggler by Brother Andrew
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docgoodheart.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by docgoodheart »

I absolutely loved this series - it was fresh and well written. Can anybody recommend a series or book that has this same unique content?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”