Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalli.francis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe

Post by Kalli.francis »

I selected this book because after reading the first few chapters on Amazon, it sounded intriguing and interesting. Boy was I wrong. This is, quite possibly, the worst book I have ever read. I am a fan of books that draw you in, sucking you into their own world. This book did none of that. It was like reading a mildly interesting history textbook. The book was originally written in Japanese, and I believe that this is its downfall. The translator for this book, in my opinion, did a terrible job. The translator chose awkward words that did not flow at all with the story. And, on top of everything else, the book was way too sad. I am NOT a fan of sad books; I like all my books to have a happy ending. This book just sort of ended; there was no tying of the loose knots or anything else usually present at the end of the book. Overall, I would NOT recommend this book to anyone. Life’s too short to read a bad book, and trust me: this was a bad book.
Dramasylum
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dramasylum »

This isn't for the faint of heart, but it's a fast-paced read. The suggestion of how humans can turn on each other out of fear is well presented. The author balances the horror with the hope provided by characters learning to bond together and accepting each other's differences.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”