Official Review: Under the Manger by H.D. Barnett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Under the Manger by H.D. Barnett

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under the Manger" by H.D. Barnett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life was good for Jason Stevens who was twenty-three and had worked as a computer hacker for the FBI since he finished high school. It wasn't unusual for him to be the last one to arrive for Sunday dinner at the family home. As he rushed into the dining room, the aroma of his mother's pot roast lingered in the air. There was just one problem; no one was there. All that remained in each family member's chair were their clothes and jewelry. It only took Jason a minute to realize why his family had disappeared. Under the Manger by H.D. Barnett and Jeffrey J. Wamboldt is the suspenseful first-person narrative of life after the worldwide disappearance of Christians, commonly known as the rapture.

Jason's parents and three siblings were devout Christians and had urged him to commit his life to the Lord. Remorseful that he hadn't taken their advice seriously, he prayed for forgiveness and guidance. Jason knew his parents had invested in preparing for the end times described in the Bible. Though his father had been the CEO of an oil company, and his mother was a rocket scientist for NASA, they were also preppers. Sure enough, he discovered a packet of instructions leading him to an abundance of provisions on the family's large Texas estate. His parents had not only provided for him but also for those who would need his help. Humbled and determined to make better choices, Jason purposed to use his FBI skills to help others.

As a fan of the popular Left Behind series which had a similar plot and was extremely well-written, I confess to being slightly skeptical when I started reading this book. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it hard to put down. Though many of the characters were introduced only through Jason's memories, they were well developed, and I felt like I knew them.

The plot was quick paced and well researched. Without exposing any spoilers, the authors' foresight in the careers given for Jason's parents made certain aspects regarding the plot more believable. I realize there is some controversy as to when the rapture will occur. However, though the ending implied a sequel, this book didn't focus on a particular doctrine.

What I liked most about this book was the skillful combination of biblical prophecy and suspense. Again, I don't want to give away any spoilers, but there were several miraculous occurrences in the plot. I've read other Christian fiction where the miracles seemed forced, or there was a chapter of scripture explaining them. That wasn't the case with this book. There were scriptural references, but they often were presented as part of a conversation. Also, the violence that was realistic to the plot was minimal and wasn't graphic, which I appreciated.

What I liked least about the book was the rather idyllic portrayal of the world in crisis. In all fairness, there were realistic depictions of sorrow and chaos related to the plot. However, the sheer abundance of provisions and real estate available to Jason and his friends was contingent upon the family's wealth, which wouldn't apply to everyone.

I didn't note a single grammatical error, and I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to those who enjoy Christian fiction, and fans of the Left Behind Series. Readers who don't appreciate Christian teachings may prefer to pass on this book.

Under the Manger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Before I read your last paragraph I thought to myself this sounds a lot like the Left Behind Series. I will be adding this book to my read list. Thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thank you, Amy. Enjoy!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely something I would enjoy reading about. However, after the Left Behind Series, it's almost overdone. Still, this one seems really well written and edited, so I might just have to look into after all. You've been on a roll for reviews lately!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:22 This is definitely something I would enjoy reading about. However, after the Left Behind Series, it's almost overdone. Still, this one seems really well written and edited, so I might just have to look into after all. You've been on a roll for reviews lately!
I know what you mean about the Left Behind books. It's ideal if you can scoop them up and binge read them. When I read them, I was on pins and needles waiting for the next sequel that came out about a year apart.
Yes, speaking of binge reading... :lol2:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

This does sound similar to the Left Behind series. Good to hear of a book on The Rapture where the miracles don't seem forced and the characters are well-developed. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

joshfee77 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:45 This does sound similar to the Left Behind series. Good to hear of a book on The Rapture where the miracles don't seem forced and the characters are well-developed. Great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the take on how to survive in the post-rapture world. It sounds interesting.
Aurie7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aurie7 »

The review of this book is extremely descriptive, though the author of the review did not reveal any spoilers. After reading the entire review, I was so curious, that I plan to purchase the e-book.
Gray_frankk
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gray_frankk »

I'd love to read this one you know
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 17:43 I like the take on how to survive in the post-rapture world. It sounds interesting.
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for this well-written review. I'm really excited to read this book now! I'm a fan of Biblical themes, especially apocolyptic ones. I can't imagine the feeling of being left behind. I will be adding this to my "want to read" list.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I also enjoyed the Left Behind series, and it has been quite a few years since I read it. This sounds like an excellent book for those who enjoyed that series. I can't imagine coming to the realization that Jason did, and having to wade through the aftermath of losing so many people at once. It's fascinating and scary.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 21:32 Thank you for this well-written review. I'm really excited to read this book now! I'm a fan of Biblical themes, especially apocolyptic ones. I can't imagine the feeling of being left behind. I will be adding this to my "want to read" list.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 21:49 I also enjoyed the Left Behind series, and it has been quite a few years since I read it. This sounds like an excellent book for those who enjoyed that series. I can't imagine coming to the realization that Jason did, and having to wade through the aftermath of losing so many people at once. It's fascinating and scary.
It's very sobering to consider. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”