Earth's Children Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leyzer2990
Bookshelf Size: 0

Earth's Children Series

Post by Leyzer2990 »

I'm brand new to this site, and I thought I'd start a topic about my favourite series of books: Earth's Children by Jean M. Auel. I've loved this series from the very start of reading it. I picked up the first book, Clan of the Cave Bear, almost 5 years ago, and read it start to finish in just a day. I didn't even know it was a series until a year later, when I saw it in the book store. Anyone else read this series before? If so, are you as excited as I am that the last book is FINALLY released? Have you read it yet? My copy comes in in a few days!!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Love this series, too. The early history research is phenomenal but I always think Ayla is the forerunner of modern woman.

I've been reading it over a twelve year period and through the rumours that Jean M Auel had passed away because there was such a gap between books. This rumour caused much consternation amongst my friends (one of whom named her daughter Ayla) because everyone wanted to know how things turned out with Jondalar and the baby.
Leyzer2990 wrote:If so, are you as excited as I am that the last book is FINALLY released? Have you read it yet? My copy comes in in a few days!!
I haven't got the last book "The Land Of Painted Caves" yet. My stamina isn't as good as yours, Leyzer. It took me weeks to read just one book! My favourite is "The Valley Of The Horses".

And welcome to the forum!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Leyzer2990

Post by Leyzer2990 »

I would definitely have to agree with you about Valley of the Horses! It was the most exciting of all the books. I think what I loved most about it was the way it was written, how the first chapters were about Ayla, and then the next about Jondalar, and then slowly the chapters were closer together until I was literally thinking "oh my god they're PAGES away from each other" the anticipation it created was amazing!!

The Mammoth Hunters is my second favourie, although upon rereading it I found I couldn't help but skip pages. It's a book I feel I can only fully read once, the emotions portrayed so well, I was pulled in so deep the first time with the love triangle between Ayla/Ranec/Jondalar, the second time around I didn't want to go through it all over again ha ha However the characters were so beautifully written, that I would have to say it's a close second.

It's so nice to talk to someone else about these books! haha No one I know in RL reads as much as I do, or is interested in the same books.

Also, I never thought the last book would ever happen. I stopped checking into it ages ago, until I happened upon news of it a month ago and have started to re-read the whole series just to catch myself back up! I actually just finished The Mammoth Hunters, and my copy of the new one arrives in 2 days, sooo much reading ahead of me!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Keep me posted!!!!!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Ashleyt_714

Post by Ashleyt_714 »

i loved them also :D and i cant wait to get the new one please post what you thought of it.

wow 12 years, im glad i only read them last summer they were so addictive i would have went crazy waiting. lol
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I was so excited to read this about The Earth's Children Series because I thought that Shelters of Stone was the last book in the series so I didn't even look for another book although I usually do look for other books by an author if I like the stories they have written. I am really looking forward to reading The Land of Painted Caves to continue the story. I was very captivated by the other books in the series so I hope this one will be the same for me. I loved reading about people in another time and how they lived. Jean Auel's descriptions made it easy to imagine being there with Ayla.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
TheBookMaven
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookmaven.html
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by TheBookMaven »

I love this series. My favorite one is Valley of the Horses. I have a hard time with Mammoth Hunters though; I get so frustrated with Ayla and Jondalar not talking. It drives me crazy. To be honest, I only liked about half of Land of Painted Caves, but I still wish there was going to be more books in the series.
Never judge a book by its movie
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”