Ender's Game

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Did you like it?

Yes!
92%
It was alright...
8%
Nope!
No votes

Total votes: 13

Jimrada
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Jimrada »

This was what was on OSC's web site about the order.

Answer:

Preferred order ... depends on what you mean by preferred, and who's doing the preferring.

You can read them in the order written - Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, then Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant. Or you can read them in chronological order of story beginnings, which is Ender's Shadow, Ender's Game, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind.

But in truth it doesn't matter, except that you should read Xenocide right before Children of the Mind, since they are really two halves of a single continuous story. In most of my books, I include all the information you need.

-- Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:13 pm --

Also, does anyone know why the Kindle version of "Shadows in Flight" isn't coming out until next February? Typically, the Kindle and hardcover editions release on the same date.
Readingrules

Post by Readingrules »

I also read whole series really great books
Cnc_theft_auto
Favorite Author: Robert Muchamore
Favorite Book: Hunger Games Trilogy
Currently Reading: Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey
fav_author_id: 11118

Post by Cnc_theft_auto »

I started listening to the audiobook and I thought it was very average. Maybe its because I'm not used to audiobooks, but to me it just didnt seem exciting at all.
"Desperation is your enemy's best weapon." - Me
Rumsfeld

Post by Rumsfeld »

I found that Ender's Game was excellent. I related to the character in a lot of ways. I think we can start an entire philosopical debate on the book if we wanted too. Anyone interested?
BryanMPorter

Post by BryanMPorter »

I really liked the book. Though the flow felt kind of weird, as they kept building the climax up to be this large space battle with the aliens, but then we find out they have already killed them through their vr battles. It was a good idea don't get me wrong, but it kind of felt we just jumped over the climax of the story.
cgw

Post by cgw »

You might want to be careful with spoilers.
BryanMPorter

Post by BryanMPorter »

Yeah I guess I should be
LoniJo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lonijo.html

Post by LoniJo »

I really liked Ender's Game. I haven't read any of the others, but I probably will at some point. I was surprised by the ending, which doesn't happen often, and it held my interest from beginning to end. Definitely a book worth reading.
peterchast
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterchast.html

Post by peterchast »

I loved Ender's Game too! I have also read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind, which continue the story of Ender's life. I loved them all, but beware the rest of the series is nothing like Ender's Game. They take place an a universe thousands of years later. They are more about interactions between civilizations, deep and difficult moral conflict, and spirituality. Not so much battle tactics, outsmarting bullies, or overcoming the odds.
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I read Ender's Game and it was a jam-packed book. It had a lot of work involved to follow Ender through the story from when he starts as a youngling and eventually earns the prestige of killing an alien planet.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I read the books in order of publication. Ender’s Game is definitely the best of them all, followed closely by Ender’s Shadow. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are very different from the rest, and follow Ender as an adult. The best thing about them is the character of Jane, an artificial intelligence that is born out of the game Ender plays on his desk. The rest of the series is good, but none of them touch Ender’s Game.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”