Review by Bukari -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Bukari -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

Post by Bukari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 is a collection of thirty-three different short stories, a novella, and two graphic novels. The individual stories have been selected for awards in the Faulkner Creative Writing Competition and the Flannery O’Conner Award for short stories. The stories are all different, where one of the stories ends the other continues. There are different characters in different stories; the chapters are also different. The stories have illustrations or images to facilitate lovers of books for easy reading and also to help the readers to imagine settings.

The images in the stories drew my attention in times that the stories felt uninteresting to me. In fact, the illustrations helped me to imagine the things I could not figure out in my mind, and I got a better clue about Coles' stories. The chapters are all clearly set making the reader to easily identify the end of a story and the beginning of another one.

Well, the author has used a lot of energy and time to bring out this work for the readers to read and review. But, I noticed some of the stories didn't have a connection to previous stories. I thought the book would have created a strong feeling of suspense to its readers, but that was not the case. The author used the work of fiction to create an atmosphere of imaginations in my mind that are: guilt, pleasure, setbacks, and the strange beings in life. Well, the strange beings or imaginary characters would make the readers think the work is in the genre of fantasy.

The book could be enjoyed by a lot of people. But there is only one idea that is peculiar in the book: challenges that make us stronger and the victories ahead if we continue to persevere. So, with no spoilers, I like the hard work and diligence executed by the author for us to feel the short stories in the book.

I, therefore, rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The chapters, characters, stories and illustrations put by the author are awesome. I noticed no obvious grammatical or typographical errors in the book. Therefore, I give the necessary credit to the author of these short stories. And I do recommend it to every person that needs to feel the work of William H. Coles. This novella could be a storybook difficult to read by people having challenges in concentration because of the short stories in the book that could distract readers.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Bukari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”