Review by jonathan600 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jonathan600
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonathan600.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
2024 Reading Goal: 736
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by jonathan600 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by jonathan600 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We often feel more motivated to achieve our goals when the people around us are loving and most importantly caring. The opposite of this can lead to a person suffering much paid. The book Gurdian of Deceit by William H. Coles is a fictional book and has 66 chapters and around 300 pages. William uses the main character to show the problems that orphans pass through when their guardians are not loving nor caring for them.

Darwin Hastings, who is the main character, becomes an orphan when he is seventeen years old and is sent from Pittsburgh to New York to a guardian, a famous and wealthy footballer. Darwin had a desire to become a doctor like his late father. His new guardian was rude, didn't want him to access his inheritance and forces him to live in a store house and pay for the room and his expenses. He could not find the love he had experienced with his parents in this new family. The rules of the house were harsh and no one seemed to care about him and his goals. Darwin found a surgeon in the neighborhood who he admired as a role model to him. Unlike his father, the surgeon was not perfect and Darwin found himself diverting from his goals. Meanwhile, his guardian was introducing him to celebrities, crooks, untrustworthy friends and excessively wealthy people who were not morally upright. As Darwin later strives to be a doctor, he discovers that healthcare and scientific discovery are mainly motivated by profit and have no moral standards. It seemed like he was the only one who had different principals.

The greatest strength of the book is the quality of writing. The author uses English language magnificently and manages to convey ideas with a great dea of subtlety and nauce. In my opinion, the quality of writting mixed with the choice of words made the book an interesting read all by themselves.

The writing style is straightforward and clean, with enough descriptions to give readers a sense of the character and environment. I found the conversations in the book, although some were serious, to be compelling. Despite of its many pages, the book was a quick read.

Having liked the writing style and the amazing plot of the book, I am happy to rate it four out of four stars. I did not come across any grammatical and spelling errors. The book was professionally edited. The tale made me weep, celebrate, and get angered for my fellow humans who may be going through this situations. It was not a happy story, so those looking for a light fiction story should look elsewhere. I would recommend the book to those who enjoy character-driven narratives that focuses on heavy themes and I can see it being of particular interest to anyone looking to better understand the difficult times experienced by some orphans. Readers outside this very specific audience are unlikely to enjoy this book very much.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like jonathan600's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The book sounds fascinating; thanks for the review.
udeh David
Currently Reading: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by udeh David »

This book generates much exprience of every corner of life...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”