The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ParanoidIdealDodo
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Post by ParanoidIdealDodo »

I have heard about this book The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. A memoir of journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffered from a condition called locked-in syndrome. I would like to read this one. Have you heard of it? For those who have read it, how was it? :wink:
AzKowgirl

Post by AzKowgirl »

I first read "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" over ten years ago. I've since reread it several times, and have facilitated two different book club discussions. This is a *most* wonderful book. Also, it was made into a movie last year (2009), and won multiple international awards.
AzKowgirl

Post by AzKowgirl »

What happened to Jean-Dominique Bauby was indeed awful; however, it is something that can happen to any one of us at any time without any warning. How Jean-Dominique Bauby responded to the tragic event, and how he turned "lemons into lemonade" is truly inspirational.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I haven't read the book but I did watch the movie & to be quiet frank I found it rather tedious ... that said of course it's a very tragic story & I guess inspiring depending on how you look at quality of life issues.
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

This book is a miracle.

It is my favourite book, not just because of the circumstances in which it was written, but because it is just wonderful to read.

For those who don't know, this is a real memoir written by a man who suffered from 'locked-in syndrome', Jean-Dominique Bauby. He led a normal, active life, but after a stroke he became completely paralysed, other than his left eye. Using just this eye, he wrote this book by spelling out each word. He describes how he would write each passage in his head first, getting it just right. It is an epic achievement.

There is no self-pity in this book and I don't feel it is depressing. There is an amazing strength of spirit in the face of adversity, that shines through. I read this when I had depression, and it certainly put things into perspective. How this man kept such a sense of humor, despite his situation, is quite humbling.

It is beautifully written, with wonderful metaphors (such as the book title itself) and a poetic feel.

I can't recommend this book enough. It has short chapters which I just dipped into slowly here and there, reading it alongside other books. I found a lovely tiny hardback edition in a thrift shop, which I treasure.

Unfortunately the author passed away just two days after the book was published. He left behind a masterpiece.

This is everything that is wonderful about humanity, right here.
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”