Review of Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-laurel.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Review by Rachel Laurel -- Illustrated Short Fiction of ...

Post by Rachel Laurel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]

[rbc=4]id239520-125[/rbc]The moment I have read the first of the [i]Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016[/i], I was certain that I will be hooked. I was always intrigued by the opening lines and before I knew it, I was already halfway through the ending. The author has this ability to capture the reader's attention and make them want to find out what is going to happen next.

One of the author's obvious strengths is how he precisely yet artfully presents his characters in a psychological light. Each character is created complex and they are never what they seem. It appears that the author can understand the complex human psyche so well that he was able to cleverly show the real motives behind his characters' outward show. That, perhaps, is what makes his characters relatable. We, humans, tend to create a shell that is the total opposite of what is inside and our actions are based on protecting that inner self and that we can turn dark if we are exposed to so much pain.

The collection also delve with ethics and morality—how our right and wrong actions can affect ourselves and other people. Most of the stories are dark and leave you with a bitter taste. But I think it is what makes the stories cathartic. It makes us realize and accept that life has dark sides too and that it can make an ugly turn anytime. But some stories tackle the innate goodness of human beings—although life may seem bleak and horrible sometimes, people can still be capable of goodness.

I find all of the short stories enjoyable although I noticed that some are straightforward and blunt. I would appreciate them more if they were written with subtlety. I did not enjoy the comics as much also because it seems that a lot of important details are left out. Had I not read the short stories beforehand, I don't think I would be able to fully understand the comics.

Despite the foregoing, I would still give this [b]4 out of 4 stars[/b]. I love how the stories provide an accurate portrayal of life and how it made me think about issues on morality and human psychology. Rarely do I encounter a book that makes me fascinated and bothered at the same time. This would appeal to readers who are interested in short stories that have strong philosophical and psychological elements in it.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=239520]on Bookshelves[/url] | on Amazon | [itunes=10049]on iTunes[/itunes] | [smashwords=732629]on Smashwords[/smashwords]

Like Rachel Laurel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

I am currently reading it!! Thanks for the review :)
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I’m reading this author currently and I really love his writing style. Thanks for the review.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

This book is wonderful. All of the stories were kind of sad and dark, but the meaning was priceless. Thanks for the opinion about this book!
Maria Dimitrova
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-dimitrova.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Maria Dimitrova »

I also read the book and I really liked it. Especially the fact that much darker stories were included. Thanks for the review!
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

Lol, I do not think the 4-star rating is well deserved. Most of the stories lack distinct ethical lessons. The absence of dialogue tags makes it difficult to comprehend. It's like I'm just reading an article, probably a news headline, and I'm given updates on what's happening. There's no suspense, thrill, the pdf format makes the wordings so tiny. I beg to differ on your review, if I may and please don't be offended🙏
The author needs to recognize that he has flaws in his book and the only way for that to happen is if we give honest reviews. I am currently working on mine.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”