Trilogy by Louis Lowry "Giver", "Gathering Bl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Inspire2Read
Bookshelf Size: 0

Trilogy by Louis Lowry "Giver", "Gathering Bl

Post by Inspire2Read »

Have somebody read this trilogy by Louis Lowry, or any one of those books?

I've heard so much about them. All three stories are sci-fi, set in "alternative unhappy future"... but it has so many similarities to nowadays, very controversial, I've heard.

Also the "Giver" was a Winner of the 1994 Newbery Medal.

I would appreciate any feedback from ppl who read those books. Please recommend any more books similar to those. Thanks
tigeropig

Post by tigeropig »

I read the Giver and it was a good book. But the ending was complety confusing but now I know that it is a triology. So I will try to find the rest of the books and those may explain the ending.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I haven't read.. are they good?
Brentprather

Post by Brentprather »

I have recently read The Giver and it was a great book to read. It was written by lois lowry and was given the John newbery medal in 1994. The Giver is a futuristic utopian society in which all aspects of life are controlled. People are given their careers, there is no color, meals are delivered to each dwelling, weather is controlled, and all people live in a world with almost no differences. The main character is a young boy named Jonas. He is given the job of "The Giver". The job requires that he is given all the memories of the past, so he can aid in making important decisions. I dont want to spoil the book, but i will say it was very good. It was a quick read, and i had trouble putting the book down. I would recommend it to anyone and i hope that if you decide to read it that you enjoy it as much as I did.
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I also enjoyed The Giver and would recommend it. I didn't go on to read the trilogy because I liked the ambiguous ending of The Giver and felt a second book in the series would answer all the questions the ending provokes.

Also, I can't help but suspect that a series wasn't conceived by Lowry until the first did so well. As I understand it, the second book is told from a point of view different from Jonas. To me, continuing the series undermines the brilliance of The Giver's ending.
Rollins.marsha

Post by Rollins.marsha »

I have read all three of the Giver Series..."The Giver", "Gathering Blue", and "Messenger". I believe The Giver is the best book, but the other two are also worth reading. The other two stories are loosely related to the first, but mostly because they all happen around the same time and in the same surreall and misguided world. "Gathering Blue" is completely unrelated to "The Giver", but is another interesting story about how a society that seems functional is revealed to be cruel and sinister. In "The Messenger", the first two stories are tied together in a new location with characters from both "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue". The theme of misguided leadership remains the same but questions from the first two books are answered (like what happened to Jonas and Gabriel) and the ending is more satisfying (though tragic) than that of the first two. If you would like to have a better understanding of the world where "The Giver" takes place and would like to know more about what happened to the character, the rest of the series is definately worth reading.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”