the kite runner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:I just started kite runner. The beginning talks about the history of two friends hassan and Amir and difference in their class and sects.. I am sure I'l like it..
I'm sure you will love it ... it's a super read. Enjoy
Perrywinkle47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Thank you :D

Yeah I am halfway done already.. I cried when baba dies and when Amir betrays Hassan. Hassan is such a sweetheart... I wish he hadn't left:(
Fran

Post by Fran »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:Thank you :D

Yeah I am halfway done already.. I cried when baba dies and when Amir betrays Hassan. Hassan is such a sweetheart... I wish he hadn't left:(
You just want to hug him don't you?
piratepenguin

Post by piratepenguin »

I just finished the Kite Runner about a month ago. While the story is full of unpleasant moments I loved the descriptions of his youth and the culture of Afghanistan. I could understand everything up until the end part in the hotel. That part was so gut-wrenching it made me angry.

The biggest thing I've taken from the book is a desire to learn more about the history of Afghanistan. I've been looking into books on the history of the country and the middle east.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Fran wrote:
Perrywinkle47 wrote:Thank you :D

You just want to hug him don't you?
I know.. I wish if I could have him as a friend, I would have never let him go. I have gotten till the part when the author reveals that Hassan is Amir's half-brother.. Well, I kinda expected it between the lines. But it was sad to know that Hassan and his wife die in Afghanistan. How can Taliban be so rude? It's so inhumane, so unfair with Hassan as he has been so nice to everyone but didn't receive that much of affection in return. I am sure that Amir and Soraya will adopt Sohrab if he finds him..
Patricia rose

Post by Patricia rose »

In this genre, I found The Swallows of Kabul to have the most impact and to show the utter destruction of the Afgani middle class... So there's another one.

Does anyone read Holocaust lit? I just finished The History of Love and thought it was in equal measure funny and heart breaking...
Fran

Post by Fran »

Patricia rose wrote:In this genre, I found The Swallows of Kabul to have the most impact and to show the utter destruction of the Afgani middle class... So there's another one.

Does anyone read Holocaust lit? I just finished The History of Love and thought it was in equal measure funny and heart breaking...
I suggest the following:
The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl
The Mascot by Kurzem Mark
The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick

Enjoy & don't forget to post your views if you choose any of the above.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Wow, that seems plenty. Yeah I would definitely want to read more about life in Afghanistan. Thanks for the share :)
Seraphy

Post by Seraphy »

It's really touching, about friendship, about jealousy, about life and love.
Pecorino

Post by Pecorino »

Both this book and A Thousand Splendid Suns really made me cry.
Was very touching and I really do admire Hassan, though sometimes, while I was reading the story, I really could not help but just really become so frustrated at his unwavering loyalty to Amir, who was not like that to Hassan.

I felt some hatred for Amir because had he done something to prevent that incident with Hassan and the bully, then they would probably be leading similar lives. But I guess, through Sohrab, Amir was able to somewhat redeem himself.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

For those of you who have younger readers in the family, there is a graphic novel of "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

Just ordered it!!
BHersh
Currently Reading: Beautiful Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhersh.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BHersh »

I loved The Kite Runner! Amir and Hassan have a troubled, but loving relationship due to the differences in classes between them. The author is known for his style of story telling in which he spans the entire main character's life, and exposes many of the tragedies that occurred in Afghanistan during the reign of the Taliban. Some parts are difficult to read, simply because they elicit such emotion from the reader that you will need a minute to stop and compose yourself before continuing. This book is heartbreaking, but ultimately a story of redemption.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”