the kite runner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chantizee
Bookshelf Size: 0

the kite runner

Post by chantizee »

I'm currently reading the kite runner,so far so good...find it to be heartbreaking!
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I actually bought 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' recently on the strength of strong word of mouth and positive reviews, its on my To Be Read list and if i like that then no doubt i will also buy The Kite Runner :D
You only live once.....so live!
smellymonkey

Post by smellymonkey »

I would say read The Kite Runner first although A Thousand Splendid Suns is good its not as good as The Kite Runner, so even if you don't like it please still give the Kite Runner a chance. Its AMAZING!!
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

smellymonkey wrote:I would say read The Kite Runner first although A Thousand Splendid Suns is good its not as good as The Kite Runner, so even if you don't like it please still give the Kite Runner a chance. Its AMAZING!!
Will do! Thanks, i have heard great things about both books so will look forward to reading them both and forming an opinion.
Just Me

Post by Just Me »

I actually think that 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is better than The Kite Runner
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I loved both books but I would give Kite Runner a slightly higher mark
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
cj'alhafiz

Post by cj'alhafiz »

I read The Kite Runner and in my opinion the story is very heartbreaking. The author did an excellent job giving us a picture about the life during war. The friendship between Hassan and Amir is incredible and with all the twist and surprises, The Kite Runner is a stunning novel.

As for A Thousand Splendid Suns, I heard lots of great reviews bout it. And I do hope that it is. =)

p/s: plan to watch the Kite Runner movie. Maybe tonight. Can't wait...=) :lol:
lmmj4

Post by lmmj4 »

Both books were great, although I did like The Kite Runner more. I think it goes into more detail in the beginning so maybe that is why. Enjoy.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I have heard so many good reviews about the kiterunner that it has now become a must read.. I'l soon soon read it and will comment shortly.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:I have heard so many good reviews about the kiterunner that it has now become a must read.. I'l soon soon read it and will comment shortly.
Im also a sucker for the good reviews and the hype, nearly every week i will buy a new book which has great word of mouth! Must try harder to resist or else i will get none of them read.
Fran

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:
Perrywinkle47 wrote:I have heard so many good reviews about the kiterunner that it has now become a must read.. I'l soon soon read it and will comment shortly.
Im also a sucker for the good reviews and the hype, nearly every week i will buy a new book which has great word of mouth! Must try harder to resist or else i will get none of them read.
Resistance is futile :wink:
- My Home by Clive James
Patricia rose

Post by Patricia rose »

I enjoyed the Kite Runner, despite its unpleasant subject matter, but I felt that The Swallows of Kabul was a much more revealing and honest examination of Afganistan under the Taliban. The Kite Runner struck me as somehow North American in its author's voice and I felt that the redemption piece was contrived, unlikely, and unbelievable. However if you're going to read only one novel on Afganistan The Kite Runner is as good as any to at least get a feel for Kabul and the society that exists there.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Patricia rose wrote:I enjoyed the Kite Runner, despite its unpleasant subject matter, but I felt that The Swallows of Kabul was a much more revealing and honest examination of Afganistan under the Taliban. The Kite Runner struck me as somehow North American in its author's voice and I felt that the redemption piece was contrived, unlikely, and unbelievable. However if you're going to read only one novel on Afganistan The Kite Runner is as good as any to at least get a feel for Kabul and the society that exists there.
The Swallows of Kabul is absolutely brilliant as is 'The Wasted Vigil' not easy reading but superb if you are interested in that unfortunate country.
- My Home by Clive James
Patricia rose

Post by Patricia rose »

I found parts of it heart breaking, but other parts frankly disgusted me. And I thought the ending was trite and inconsistent with the culture portrayed and the protagonist's personality as shown up to that point. That being said, it is a good story of betrayal and redemption.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I just started kite runner. The beginning talks about the history of two friends hassan and Amir and difference in their class and sects.. I am sure I'l like it..

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”