The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
QueenCat
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Re: The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy

Post by QueenCat »

Fun book. I enjoyed the author's unique humor. The movie was OK but the book was better.
aortegon

Post by aortegon »

totally recommend it, amazing book, super funny
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I haven't read it but it sounds good. I think I will have to add it to my list too.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love the series! It was the Towel Day a few days ago.

"Towel Day is an annual celebration on the 25th of May, as a tribute to the late author Douglas Adams (1952-2001). On that day, fans around the universe proudly carry a towel in his honor."
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

Wow! I wish I had known. That is a strange holiday, but I do have great respect for Douglas Adams.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

gali wrote:I love the series! It was the Towel Day a few days ago.

"Towel Day is an annual celebration on the 25th of May, as a tribute to the late author Douglas Adams (1952-2001). On that day, fans around the universe proudly carry a towel in his honor."
Celebrated myself!!! :)
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
comfort80
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort80.html

Post by comfort80 »

i still cannot believe he's gone... I love all his books.
Sarah10

Post by Sarah10 »

I'm reading this right now (almost done with it). I had seen the movie a few years ago, which I thought was pretty funny. Then a book club I'm in is reading it now. It's not the type of book I would normally read at all but I'm glad I decided to because it is a very good read. It's nice to read a book that feels fun (and funny) for a change. I usually go for serious books) Adams has a unique sense of humor and he really keeps that humor going for throughout the entire story. He writes in a very active voice so the story never drags and I do find myself wondering "what happens next" even though it's not a very serious book. And that's saying something seeing as I've already watched the movie. Douglas Adams has such a unique voice that it's more about wanting to know "HOW is he going to tell us what happens next??" I do get a sense of escape when I'm reading the book. Despite it's light-hearted feeling, it does present a lot of interesting views on society that are as true today as they were when the book was first published. I'd definitely recommend this book.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Sarah10 wrote:I'm reading this right now (almost done with it). I had seen the movie a few years ago, which I thought was pretty funny. Then a book club I'm in is reading it now. It's not the type of book I would normally read at all but I'm glad I decided to because it is a very good read. It's nice to read a book that feels fun (and funny) for a change. I usually go for serious books) Adams has a unique sense of humor and he really keeps that humor going for throughout the entire story. He writes in a very active voice so the story never drags and I do find myself wondering "what happens next" even though it's not a very serious book. And that's saying something seeing as I've already watched the movie. Douglas Adams has such a unique voice that it's more about wanting to know "HOW is he going to tell us what happens next??" I do get a sense of escape when I'm reading the book. Despite it's light-hearted feeling, it does present a lot of interesting views on society that are as true today as they were when the book was first published. I'd definitely recommend this book.
If you love Douglas Adam's sense of humor...try Christopher Moore...you'll like his books!
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Sarah10

Post by Sarah10 »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:
Sarah10 wrote:I'm reading this right now (almost done with it). I had seen the movie a few years ago, which I thought was pretty funny. Then a book club I'm in is reading it now. It's not the type of book I would normally read at all but I'm glad I decided to because it is a very good read. It's nice to read a book that feels fun (and funny) for a change. I usually go for serious books) Adams has a unique sense of humor and he really keeps that humor going for throughout the entire story. He writes in a very active voice so the story never drags and I do find myself wondering "what happens next" even though it's not a very serious book. And that's saying something seeing as I've already watched the movie. Douglas Adams has such a unique voice that it's more about wanting to know "HOW is he going to tell us what happens next??" I do get a sense of escape when I'm reading the book. Despite it's light-hearted feeling, it does present a lot of interesting views on society that are as true today as they were when the book was first published. I'd definitely recommend this book.
If you love Douglas Adam's sense of humor...try Christopher Moore...you'll like his books!
Thanks, Carla. I'll check it out :)
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I absolutely LOVE the movie, Martin Freeman as Arthur is fantastic! Of course, I have heard that the books are much better (as come have said in the posts above) but as of yet I have not read them, but they are on my wish list!
I have read snippets and quotes, and just from that I know that when I do read it I am going to absolutely love it. It is just a fun read.
So many books to read, so little time..

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”