'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Evapohler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evapohler »

Five stars! I would rank this novel among the very top picks on my list. I loved reading the various points of view during a time in history after slavery but before integration and civil rights. Various perspectives are juxtaposed among the black help and the white female employers who are all struggling against their different forms of oppression.

I would highly recommend this book! Has anyone seen the movie? Can't wait!
Rypbookfan

Post by Rypbookfan »

I can't wait to see the movie because the book rates among my top 10 all time favorites. It will be a challenge for the actors to pull off the depth and wit of these characters.
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I absolutely agree with you, Ryp.
Gatsby'sGreenLight

Post by Gatsby'sGreenLight »

I actually listened to this as an audiobook on a long car ride. Each of the characters had a different reader and different voice. It really brought the book alive. Definitely one of my favorite books in a long time, and I don't usually like "period pieces". Each character's voice/style (written) was so unique, which is hard to accomplish as a writer. I hope the movie does it justice!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Anyone read The Help? I've just finished it & it's a marvelous read IMO. Anyone who enjoyed To Kill a Mocking Bird would like it ... extraordinary the casual cruelties of day to day life inflicted under segregation. The strength of these women leave me breathless with admiration.
Definitely gets a 10/10 from me

Would love to hear opinions of other readers.
Hey Fran, my favourite book if all time is "To Kill a Mocking Bird" so to compare a book to this all-time classic it must be pretty good. So far everything you have recommended to me has been right on the money so I will give it a try. Fingers crossed. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:Anyone read The Help? I've just finished it & it's a marvelous read IMO. Anyone who enjoyed To Kill a Mocking Bird would like it ... extraordinary the casual cruelties of day to day life inflicted under segregation. The strength of these women leave me breathless with admiration.
Definitely gets a 10/10 from me

Would love to hear opinions of other readers.
Hey Fran, my favourite book if all time is "To Kill a Mocking Bird" so to compare a book to this all-time classic it must be pretty good. So far everything you have recommended to me has been right on the money so I will give it a try. Fingers crossed. :)
@ Gannon ... We are as one on Mocking Bird so I am 'quietly confident' you will like 'The Help' says she touching wood (I'm not supersticious but you can't be too careful) :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
HM

Post by HM »

I absolutely loved The Help. It was definitely an enlightening book...but without being completely depressing or preachy.

Did anyone else feel like Elizabeth (Aibleen's boss) didn' t really like Hilly that much? I can't wait for the movie.
CSG

Post by CSG »

Fran - I loved "The Help". When I first read the plot summary, I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but ended up enjoying the story immensely. I just hope the movie does the book justice.
Kezz22

Post by Kezz22 »

Yes I recently read this book and loved it, in fact it did remind me of To Kill a Mockingbird so much I went out and ought that too and have just started to read it tonight! :D It is a truly, deeply moving book. I would recommend it too!
I would also recommend A Long Way From Paradise by Leah Chishugi, another book that shows women rising from prejudice and adversity to survive. It is set in The Eastern Congo to start and takes you through the genocide of Rwanda. Challenging at times but well worth the read. :)
Puglove

Post by Puglove »

I fell in love with the characters in 'The Help'. The book was written well. It took a chapter or two to get used to the southern dialect...but it was fun once I caught on. I enjoyed the relationships between Skeeter and the maids. I related to Skeeter in that she was different from most among her and she knew it, but she was different in such a way that she made ripples in the stagnant water that was Jackson, Mississippi. She followed her heart, fighting for what she believed needed to come out (with regards to the maids and their relationships with the white ladies) Skeeter also ran toward her desired career even though it wasn't the norm for women to be successful in their own right. Loved it.....
Mlp

Post by Mlp »

Good, but not great, IMO.

(And To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites.)
Kezz22

Post by Kezz22 »

Definitely have to agree with Fran The Help does compare very favourable with To Kill a Mockingbird - which I just reread again after many years - and I think you will enjoy it Gannon! :) Let us know what you think!
flyinghigh450

Post by flyinghigh450 »

I read this book for my book club a few months back. I really enjoyed it as well, but I did have one problem with it, after finishing it anyway.

I made the mistake of reading up on Kathryn Stockett's life. She is pretty much Skeeter. That's not to say that I have a problem with people who use their lives as a model for a book or whatever, but don't DENY that you based a lot of stuff on your own life. Maybe it was a misquote somewhere, but I know I read that she claimed it wasn't that autobiographical.

Didn't really change my view on the book, just on the author.
Meka

Post by Meka »

I just started reading it and so far I love it, I find it very entertaining. I had been wondering if To Kill a Mockingbird was any good, now that I have read on this thread that it is comparable to The Help I will add it to my to be read list.
Linz

Post by Linz »

The Help is one of the best books I've read so far this year. I love that time period as well. It is such a feel good story! I can't wait to see the movie. But i would definitely reccomend reading the book first before going to see it. Its interesting to hear people compare The Help with To Kill a Mocking Bird. I've always wanted to read that story. I think I just might next!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”