'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabrielgreystone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

Post by gabrielgreystone »

My community is showing the "The Help" on the 18th at the clubhouse.Not my type of movie really but I'm willing to give it a try.
vlarson169

Post by vlarson169 »

I couldn't wait to read this book when it first came out and it definitely wasn't a disappointment. I enjoyed it very much. Although I was raised in the north and didn't experience the prejudice of the South, nor have I ever traveled there, I've certainly heard and read about it. And this book was a good view of what and how daily life was through the experiences of some of "the help". I enjoyed all of the characters and thought they were very well developed and true to themselves thoughtout the story. I also saw the movie and I enjoyed putting some faces to the names in the book. As for the "pie", which was previously mentioned, I too thought that was a little too much and somewhat offensive, but it also make me realize that something like that could very well have happened in life - so the book or the character certainly didn't loose credibility with me because of it. Admittedly it was a jaw dropper for me though. I didn't see that coming. I too think this should be put on the required reading lists in schools.
virgowriter

Post by virgowriter »

I was a little skeptical when I picked up the book. I knew it was coming out as a film and wanted to read it before I saw it. I was (worried sounds a little dramatic) concerned? that the book would be weepy and heavy handed. I was pleasantly surprised, however, by how engaging the characters are. I really liked Abilene and Minnie. I also liked Skeeter, though she was not as interesting for me as these other two--perhaps it was just her age, given that the other two had experienced so much of life. Skeeter, though, was interesting in that she was aware of this, so this made her likeable. I was also curious about some of the criticism of the book:I read one response that said, oh no, here we go, another book about black people written by a white person, where the white person saves the day. I didn't see this (and I was looking for it). Perhaps if you are trying to be cynical you can see the book this way; however, I thought the characters--again--were real people. I was engaged, and I appreciated that we saw the events through the eyes of several of them.
One of the mis-steps Stockett makes involves Minnie and Celia have to drive off that pervert from Celia's property. I get that the author was probably trying to establish how strong Celia could be. But it felt off, tonally, from most of the book. Other than that, it's a good read. If it's feel good (hurray for Skeeter and high five for some of the "evil characters getting theirs), so what. Nothing wrong with a little of that once in a while. Besides, Abilene loses the little girl and the little girl loses too. It's not as neat of an ending and some suggest.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Just started it. Looks good!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Fran, I finally succumbed and put "The Help" on-hold at my local library. What a queue! The first book to come free was a large print volume. Who cares, although it's unabridged so quite heavy - I'm up for the challenge. Got to say the opening page gripped me straight away.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:Fran, I finally succumbed and put "The Help" on-hold at my local library. What a queue! The first book to come free was a large print volume. Who cares, although it's unabridged so quite heavy - I'm up for the challenge. Got to say the opening page gripped me straight away.
@Maud
So glad you got to it ... I really hope you enjoy it & I'm looking forward to your review. Enjoy :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Carla Hurst-Chandler

Just finished it! Excellent read. Saw the film and they did a wonderful job of adaptation with the screen-play. Definitely the flavour of the deep South during the Civil Rights Movement and a window into "the other side of the story".
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Trinity31
Favorite Author: Charlotte Bronte
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: On Secret Service
fav_author_id: 2492

Post by Trinity31 »

Read the book and it was awesome, and for the first time I also enjoyed the movie just as good as the book although i still recommend the book over the movie.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

This is a fine book with wonderful characterisations, a great sense of place, peppered with delightful descriptions of everyday household events in Mississippi in the Sixties, yet exposing ugly segregation situations which made me squirm. The story is told from both sides of the racial divide, servitude, injustice, dishonesty, friendship and community support. I wanted to hug Aibileen and slap Miss Hilly. There’s nothing I can say which hasn’t already been said before about Aibilee, Minny and Skeeter so I will quote one of my favourite paragraphs which is also typically Queensland:

Chapter 29, Page 491: “The heat done seeped into everything. For a week now it’s been a hundred degrees and ninety-nine percent humidity. Get any wetter, we be swimming. Can’t get my sheets to dry on the line, my front door won’t close it done swell up so much. Sho nuff couldn’t get a meringue to whip. Even my church wig started to frizz.”

Well, maybe not that bad! Since I believe this book is, despite Kathryn Stockett denying it, partly autobiographical, she would have lived through many a long hot summer with the hired help doing all the work.

Only time will tell if this book has enough impact to reach 'Classic' status but as debut novels go, it’s pretty hard to beat. I wondered if she would pen a sequel. The gossip is that she may write about women in the Depression era in 1920’s. “The Help” has been compared to “To Kill A Mockingbird” though heaven forbid ‘cos that was the only book Harper Lee wrote. The world is waiting, Ms Stockett.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
aphil
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphil.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by aphil »

I read this book and the writing was so good, I felt I was there. I laughed, cried and felt disgust too. I appreciate that it had a realistic ending.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Carla Hurst-Chandler

I thought this book touched on dimensions that Harper Lee didn't broach.

Perhaps a NEW classic!
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
fabmomof3

Post by fabmomof3 »

Wonderful book!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

This book was actually book of the month. If you have already read it, please join the official book of the month topic.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”