Time Travel Reads

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harbottle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Time Travel Reads

Post by Harbottle »

Hi All,

I'm a great fan of time travel and wondered if anyone can recommend any good books about time travel? I recently finished Dusty's Fort about a time travelling B-17! The book took me back to World War Two, Victorian London etc

It was very descriptive of those periods in English history, and that is what I like. I want to hear, see and feel I am there!

Any recommendations to while away those summer evenings? Thanks
Breeze530

Post by Breeze530 »

1) Have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.? Outlander is the 1st book in the series & it's huge, but well worth the read. A woman visits Stonehenge after WWII and ends in in Scotland in the 1700s.
2) The Time Traveler's Wife was excellent.
3) Time and Again by Jack Finney (This is an old-fasioned one.
*4) Doomsday Book by by Connie Willis. This is a terrific story of a student who ends up in the middle-ages in a household that has the plague.
*5) Passages by Connie Willis. I can't really explain this one, but it's terrific!
Just Me

Post by Just Me »

You should read the little book by Selden Edwards - I really loved it :)
Ahajji

Post by Ahajji »

The Time Traveler's Wife is ok, but never considered to be excellent.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

A brief History of Time by Hawking is more non-fiction but still very interesting!
You only live once.....so live!
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain.
oloroso36

Post by oloroso36 »

Green Darkness by Anya Seton.

And bear in mind with The Time Traveller's Wife, he doesn't move through history, only his own timeline.
You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems and suffer and understand, for all that is life.
bluefoxicy

Post by bluefoxicy »

The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells, invented the concept of a 'Time Machine'. But you've probably read that.
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

Breeze530 wrote:1) Have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.? Outlander is the 1st book in the series & it's huge, but well worth the read. A woman visits Stonehenge after WWII and ends in in Scotland in the 1700s.
*4) Doomsday Book by by Connie Willis. This is a terrific story of a student who ends up in the middle-ages in a household that has the plague.
*5) Passages by Connie Willis. I can't really explain this one, but it's terrific!
Great recommendations, Breeze530! :) I haven't read many time-travel books, so those seem like a good start.
Mxlilly

Post by Mxlilly »

Breeze530 wrote:1) Have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.? Outlander is the 1st book in the series & it's huge, but well worth the read. A woman visits Stonehenge after WWII and ends in in Scotland in the 1700s.
The Outlander series is AMAZING!!! In fact it prompted me to take a trip to Scotland about 6 years ago. I can't put the books down and have read and re-read all of them numerous times. everybody I introduce them to instantly loves them. her writing style is amazing. I only wish she could pop them out at a faster rate.
likemangos

Post by likemangos »

Thats great
Dennis Grey

Post by Dennis Grey »

I think you will definitely love The Day Time Was Hacked by Carel Mackenbach, he is a fresh author, this is his debut novel, but it is a really interesting story that he tells. I posted a thread earlier on this board about the book, I definitely recommend it to you.

I also read the earlier suggested 'A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' by Mark Twain. It's a bit old fashioned and has some absurdities in it, but I liked it very much, that's what made me like it even more. I won't spoil it by telling you all the details of those weird ideas Twain wrote down, but let me just tell you that riding a bicycle in shining armor isn't as comfortable as you might think... :wink:
Aspasia

Post by Aspasia »

Mxlilly wrote:The Outlander series is AMAZING!!! In fact it prompted me to take a trip to Scotland about 6 years ago. I can't put the books down and have read and re-read all of them numerous times. everybody I introduce them to instantly loves them. her writing style is amazing. I only wish she could pop them out at a faster rate.
I share this sentiment.

The Outlander series is one of my two favorite series of all time. They are absolutely wonderful.
Artmusicliterature

Post by Artmusicliterature »

I enjoy time travel science fiction novels as well, but I find it hard to find any books with time travel to the future. Tracy Harding an Australian author writes great time travel/ fantasy novels, but depending on your taste they may be a bit light - not heavy in historical detail.
BookWorm15

Post by BookWorm15 »

The Time Traveler's Wife is AMAZING!! Absolutely love it, and its one of those books you can read over and over.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”